Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 12:50 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times

Advertisements

Not saying that all OC drivers are jerks but it seems like there are a lot of them. Here are a list of things that OC drivers do that make me mad.

1) Constantly tailgating. If I slam on my brakes, how the hell do they think they are going to stop in time?

2) Not using indicator. If you don't tell me your getting over, how the hell am I suppose to slow down and let you in?

3) Always going 5-10 miles above the speed limit. If the speed limit is 40, just do 40. You don't need to do 45 or 50, okay? Same story for the freeway, the speed limit is 65, don't do 70-80+ MPH. If traffic is heavy, reduce speed.

4) Always in a rush. If you need to be on time, please leave early. For christ sakes, I am tired of walking some place and the guy making a right turn cuts me off as I get the white ,"walk" symbol. I've seen numerous times where another car has almost hit a pedestrian (they don't look) by trying to cut the red light before it turns green. Let me tell you, it definitely sends chills down your spine watching a kid cross the street and the other cars not wanting to wait.

I've always wondered why some streetlights have crossing guards even thought there is a signal. Now I know why. PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO WAIT! I am sure some kid had to die before they actually put those crossing guards there too.

Anyone had any similar pet peeves? or experiences?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Yeah people are idiots. To go along with your #4, if you actually DO stop for a pedestrian, you get honked at by the ashhole behind you. Well excuse me for not committing vehicular manslaughter to save you 10 seconds.

Then there's the people that think the freeway shoulder is their personal lane to be used for passing people at 40 mph when traffic is bumper to bumper. Those are the ones that make me wish I had a minigun on my roof.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:37 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,855 times
Compared to Los Angeles,

OC is as easy as driving on a country road in Nowhere, Kansas.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
always in a rush is the best description of the entire OC lifestyle.

However other things are more prevalent elsewhere. Ever drive in Boston?

In Michigan tailgating is an art form.

In OC most drivers seem to be rushed and often distracted, but if they are thinking, I find them to be more polite than drivers in many places. It just seems more and more unusual to find drivers that are thinking about what they are doing in OC

Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
I don't think it matters as much in what county or city you are driving in as much as the time of day, the amount of traffic, and the design of the highway or street. If those conditions are close to the same in any place, the driving experience will be about the same. I've seen it in Denver, Buffalo, Nashville, Columbus, Huntsville, DC, the Bay Area, Houston, etc. There are some studies that have shown that so and so city's drivers are the rudest, but the difference in rudeness between the most rude and the least rude is practically in the noise.

Allstate Newsroom - News Releases - Who Ranks Best Behind the Wheel? (http://media.allstate.com/categories/7-news-releases/releases/3931-who-ranks-best-behind-the-wheel - broken link)

It's Official: Area's Drivers Among Rudest in the U.S. - washingtonpost.com

Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 AM

59 posts, read 191,487 times
I agree with a couple of the posts above. OC drivers are surprisingly considerate, all things considered. Compared with Houston, OC drivers are very good. The way I see driving in OC and LA is that there are just too many cars on the road and the probability of contacting a rude driver is higher due to concentration, but overall they are polite.

As far as driving fast, the hwys in SoCal are big and nice and well suited to driving “fast”. I have no issues with how fast people drive here. I just wish there were more instances when you could go faster instead of being packed in traffic going well below the speed limit.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:52 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
if you dont like how i drive move your slow butt out of the fastlane then!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:37 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I lived in OC from 99-01 and found the drivers there and even up in LA to be very courteous. Everyone drove fast, of course, but they didn't tailgate, they let you in if you signaled, they didn't honk and they NEVER gave you the finger. Even my elderly mother commented on how courteous they were to her, even when she had no idea where she was going.

WELL....that's all changed now. I visited OC this past summer. Drivers are still speeding but now tailgating and weaving in and out of lanes. Lots of big-a** trucks trying to intimidate you. I was on a surface street in Tustin, driving slowly while looking for a certain sidestreet. I was in the right lane and the driver behind me was extremely agitated, even though he could've just passed me in the other lane. Eventually, he passed and then a few blocks up, turned right onto a sidestreet -- and gave me the finger while turning! What has happened to my dear, sweet, easygoing OC....

Old 11-22-2008, 01:59 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
You certainly described the traffic in LA [all the above & more]. This is not to be taken as racist but in some parts of the city the drivers are the complete opposite. They drive 10-20 miles under the speed limit on busy city streets & make right-hand turns from the left lane Asian neighborhoods have there own set of habits & a person better not ever be in a hurry because the snails-pace traffic will make you go crazy!

Old 11-22-2008, 02:49 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
95+% of drivers suck everywhere...unlikely to ever change

Simple solutions...

Live as close to office as poss
Commute at off-hrs....amazing how different are the driving capabilities of those who prefer to arrive in office by 6AM, vs the slobs in 8AM rush-hr
Avoid ever going to retail places, except early on wkend AMs before the slobs are even awake
Drive some of CA's spectacular mtn roads nr LA region on a wkend AM....typically rather empty aside from a few fellow car nuts out exercising their cars....and, IMO, no better way to relax than to focus on precise driving in a scenic setting....stuff no other city in world, except SF, has available yr-round, so close to where many live and work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County