Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:32 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
New Yorker's just love to complain themselves all the way to the closing table to their
new So. Cal. home.."California Sucks"...."If I was back in NYC. I wouldn't even think about putting up with this S....!" "Uncultured wasteland." "Fake people..F... them all"

"ya, I guess I'll stay....Message to you...( HAD ENOUGH --GET OUT OF CALI. NOW!!!)
YOUR VISA HAS EXPIRED.........Your not adding to the already unrest of the West...Most people from NYC. Do not fall in this category, so I apologize and wish you well---enjoy your new home here....
As you know people in Denver, Oregon, AZ say that same thing about Californians, that you are saying about New Yorkers.

I am really starting to see the chain of blame here on this forum...and it rolls down hill:

1) NY'rs work hard and make $, so they can afford to move to places like Palm Beach and O.C.
2) Californians and Floridians, don't like the NY'rs, get priced out, so they move to Denver and North Carolina.
3) Denver and N.C. don't like the Californians or Floridians so they move to Alabama, Texas and Tennessee.
4) Alabama, Texas and Tennessee go crazy...they all move to Alaska or Idaho.

How about we all just let Americans go wherever they want? Go to the place most comfortable.
It makes no sense chain blaiming..because for the reason they move is the same reason you move, which forces someone else to move.

It's a large country, everyone should move around a bit IMO. When it all comes down to it everyone here is a relatively new immigrant.

Last edited by Mach50; 11-27-2008 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:00 PM

674 posts, read 1,619,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
I was in Germany recently.

On weekdays, most businesses close at 8. Bars and restaurants excluded.

On weekends, everything is closed. There's a law that prohibits stores & such from being open on weekends. There are some exceptions e.g. pharmacies and stores inside train stations.

So far I've never heard of anyone complaining about Germany. On the contrary, half of Eastern Europe wants to live there.

In Europe people don't really live in bars and restaurants to the degree americans do. When these places close, they socialize and meet in each others homes and mingle, or they connect on the phone. Socializing in Europe is always ongoing while in the U.S. people do try to socialize but I always found it somewhat lonely. For example, you're in the car half of the day. Alone. You walk the street (if you ever walk). Alone. You go somewhere, people don't have time to join, so you tend to shop, alone. You grab a bite to eat, alone. People are more open for quick superficial conversations in the U.S. and will go to outings and what not, but even if you're in a group, there is no emotional connection or sharing and feels shallow in some way. In the U.S. real genuine friendship dont develop easily but you can make acquaintances in an instant. In Europe people are more difficult to get to know from the beginning but once they accept you, you're a part of the family. In Europe I have to actually book a time in my schedule to be by myself for a moment!
I do agree it sucks when so many places close way too early. The closing of everything on sundays is a real deathblow to me. Its because all fees and taxes are simply too high to keep stores and places open longer. If you have an employee in Europe, all your employee fees are as high as his/her total salary each month. It gets expensive. Another reason is that some European countries still have catholic laws that prohibits any commerce on Sundays because God did say the sevent day is a day of rest... lol!
I've found many places open past the 11 point all over Europe. You need to know where to go. Maybe you were not familiar with the area?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
In Europe people don't really live in bars and restaurants to the degree americans do. When these places close, they socialize and meet in each others homes and mingle, or they connect on the phone. Socializing in Europe is always ongoing while in the U.S. people do try to socialize but I always found it somewhat lonely. For example, you're in the car half of the day. Alone. You walk the street (if you ever walk). Alone. You go somewhere, people don't have time to join, so you tend to shop, alone. You grab a bite to eat, alone. People are more open for quick superficial conversations in the U.S. and will go to outings and what not, but even if you're in a group, there is no emotional connection or sharing and feels shallow in some way. In the U.S. real genuine friendship dont develop easily but you can make acquaintances in an instant. In Europe people are more difficult to get to know from the beginning but once they accept you, you're a part of the family. In Europe I have to actually book a time in my schedule to be by myself for a moment!
I do agree it sucks when so many places close way too early. The closing of everything on sundays is a real deathblow to me. Its because all fees and taxes are simply too high to keep stores and places open longer. If you have an employee in Europe, all your employee fees are as high as his/her total salary each month. It gets expensive. Another reason is that some European countries still have catholic laws that prohibits any commerce on Sundays because God did say the sevent day is a day of rest... lol!
I've found many places open past the 11 point all over Europe. You need to know where to go. Maybe you were not familiar with the area?

Funny, you are describing perfectly the difference between the Midwestern USA (or at least Michigan) and Southern California (or at least Orange County).

Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM

674 posts, read 1,619,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
New Yorker's just love to complain themselves all the way to the closing table to their
new So. Cal. home.."California Sucks"...."If I was back in NYC. I wouldn't even think about putting up with this S....!" "Uncultured wasteland." "Fake people..F... them all"
"ya, I guess I'll stay....Message to you...( HAD ENOUGH --GET OUT OF CALI. NOW!!!)
YOUR VISA HAS EXPIRED.........Your not adding to the already unrest of the West...Most people from NYC. Do not fall in this category, so I apologize and wish you well---enjoy your new home here....

lol! yeah they're a bit rough the new yorkers. Anti social too, and conversations are usually based on some aggressive complaints about something or the other.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Isn't the nightlife in places like Laguna Beach\ Balboa Island? I've always enjoyed the good restaurants & beach conditions in Huntington Beach.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
What we need is a good earthquake to get everyone's priorities right again. One that takes everyone down to level one of Mazlo's hierarchy of needs to remind the spirit how delicate life really is. Everyone seems to get along so much better after a natural disaster, not that California hasn't had enough with fires and mudslides but it does wonders for making jobs available and the price of housing more affordable.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:53 AM

213 posts, read 744,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
What we need is a good earthquake to get everyone's priorities right again. One that takes everyone down to level one of Mazlo's hierarchy of needs to remind the spirit how delicate life really is. Everyone seems to get along so much better after a natural disaster, not that California hasn't had enough with fires and mudslides but it does wonders for making jobs available and the price of housing more affordable.

Don't worry a big ones coming soon. Obviously with all the seismic activity we've been having here in Southern CA.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:31 AM

49 posts, read 203,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux&Reflux View Post
Imagine living surrounded by pea-brained people whose only purpose in life is to live way beyond their financial means by buying homes, vehicles and clothing that they can't afford. Imagine going for MONTHS without having an interesting conversation with anyone mainly because most people here are so shallow, materialistic and superficial that they suffer an absolute lack of cultural development. Imagine living in a place where people are not only phoney personality-wise but also physically fake, with fake boobs, fake teeth, fake hair, fake pouty-lips, and fake educations.

Imagine living in the mortgage-fraud capital of the world from where most of the fraudulent home loans currently destroying our national economy originated.

Imagine a place so BORING that most businesses shut down by 11pm ..and that's on a weekend!

Imagine having to date woman who say,"like" every third word and who giggle like moronic schoolgirls even when they're in their late 40's.

Imagine the USA has a mouth and an anus and then picture that anus as being Orange County, CA and THEN you'll have the right image!
I'll take that over the hate preaching military rednecks in San Diego anyday. At least in OC, there are kids there more like me, and nobody is going to try to kill me.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:46 PM

101 posts, read 283,530 times
If you don't like it leave?

OC was a LOT different prior to 1980, so I have to say that it was probably the influx of people coming here after that that really messed it up. I suppose they are (hopefully) on their way back out of the state.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:49 PM

136 posts, read 463,537 times
People in the Northeast work hard, and live below their means to MOVE to places like Florida and Orange County.

You definitely don't see vice versa. They get priced out, get bitter, and then come on message boards like this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County