U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 PM

5 posts, read 8,465 times

Advertisements

I work for a company that is helping people save their homes from foreclosure in the Orange County area. I can not believe how hard the foreclosure crisis has hit Orange County. I just saw a house listed in Dana Point for $445,000, Dana Point!!! My company deals with distressed homeowners every day and there are little options for some one that is defaulting on their loan. Is it their fault? In the beginning before I started to work for my company I thought it was, but now I have seen how predatory lending has ripped people's lives a part. And now my company has a debt settlement program because 75% of these homeowners have incredible unsecured debt. The credit crisis has hit Orange County and for those who think that the end of the year will be better, you might be wrong.

Last edited by nbosza; 12-29-2008 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 AM

214 posts, read 955,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbosza View Post
I work for a company that is helping people save their homes from foreclosure in the Orange County area. I can not believe how hard the foreclosure crisis has hit Orange County. I just saw a house listed in Dana Point for $445,000, Dana Point!!! My company deals with distressed homeowners every day and there are little options for some one that is defaulting on their loan. Is it their fault? In the beginning before I started to work for my company I thought it was, but now I have seen how predatory lending has ripped people's lives a part. And now my company has a debt settlement program because 75% of these homeowners have incredible unsecured debt. The credit crisis has hit Orange County and for those who think that the end of the year will be better, you might be wrong.
You posted the same crap in the IE forum. Stop advertising here.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 PM

35 posts, read 26,429 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised at all! My wife & I saw this coming years ago.

One very uncommented-upon aspect of all this EZ credit market has been the destruction of previously pristine neighborhoods all over OC. I saw it myself in some of the most beautiful areas when:
1) deadbeats who had always been previously priced-out of nice areas swarmed in with a vengeance!
2) longtime homeowners who had their homes already paid off began draining the equity away to finance toys, vacations & upgrades.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,045,362 times
Foreclosure Heat Map

Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 AM

3,853 posts, read 11,671,376 times
Ban!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:13 PM

10 posts, read 21,651 times
Thumbs up things you can do as a home owner to fight for your property value

As a home owner, if there are a lot of homes for sale in your area, even vacant and bank owned, there are a few things that I know you can do.
One thing is check your city's code as far as landscape maintenance. In most California cities it is illegal to let the grass die, park on the lawn, let weeds take over, etc. Even with no CC&Rs, it's against city code.
It's just common courtesy to your neighborhood to keep the front looking nice. Even in hard times, it doesn't take a lot to mow a lawn or put some water on it. And the more people let weeds grow, the more weeds go to seed and then spread to other lawns.
Even if a home is vacant and bank owned, dead lawn, and an eye sore, in my city you can call the code enforcement people and they will give the bank a warning and when I did that on my street, the vacant bank owned house put in new grass and it looks great (this after the bank's realtor told me on the phone there was nothing they could do, "the grass is already dead!!!") And also a rental house cleaned up all the dead weeds, stopped parking on part of the lawn and planted new grass - tah dah!
The whole street looks much better and so the poor homeowners around the corner who have to sell their home, have a better shot at getting a decent buyer because the banks and deadbeats are not allowed to run down the neighborhood.
You have rights not to let people run down your neighborhood.
You don't have to be mean about it but you can make a difference.
If there are people in dire straights, like seniors, you can all join in on a Saturday for a day of community service and clean up that yard for them.
Everyone will feel better.
Most of the time though when renters or even weird, lazy home owners are letting the front of their property look bad, they just don't care and have to be reminded that there are laws, even in areas without cc&rs that keep them from running down the neighborhood which hurts others.
Know your city codes. You might be very surprised by what your rights are.

And you can also look into the city owned and cared for landscapes leading into a neighborhood too and complain if that is not being taken care of. The state is tight right now financially but some cities have a surplus and keeping it looking great only helps the values in the community. Know your city council person and be the squeaky wheel for your neighborhood.

And finally, look up your own property on zillow and correct any mistakes. Often the year a home was built is incorrect in an entire tract and making that correction alone can really help the estimated value.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,045,362 times
Couple of interesting articles from the OC Register this morning:

O.C. foreclosures selling almost instantly - Mortgage Insider - OCRegister.com

Demand for O.C. homes up 70% - Lansner on Real Estate - OCRegister.com

Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,639,032 times
Rising home prices lift L.A.-area homeowners from negative equity - latimes.com

Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 PM

36 posts, read 57,016 times
Quote:
My company deals with distressed homeowners every day and there are little options for some one that is defaulting on their loan. Is it their fault? In the beginning before I started to work for my company I thought it was, but now I have seen how predatory lending has ripped people's lives a part.
Why wouldn't it be the homeowner's fault? Just out of curiosity, what type of gun did the lender hold to their head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County