U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:18 PM

7 posts, read 11,709 times

Advertisements

I grew up in lakewood and last I visted (3yrs ago) it was so different. My hub wants to move back and I do to but I got used to the small town no traffic area i am in. Is there anywhere somewhat close to lakewood that is not so congested and that is safe for my kids and rsonable price? He will be making around 20 bucks an hour and I really rather stay home with kids .. can we afford it off his salery and what is the rate of daycare a week there?
I used to do daycare where I am at but I am sure it is way more expensive there.thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 AM

989 posts, read 4,165,537 times
No place in coastal SoCal comes to my mind.. Try the outer towns of Northern Calif...Eureka, Redding, etc..

I speculate that $40k/year is needed for a single, atleast $60k for a couple, $80k for a family.. and those figures are for renting, not home ownership.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:52 AM

659 posts, read 2,644,791 times
I make about $40 an hour and I live comfortably in a one bedroom apartment in the inland empire. However, the IE is a little cheaper than Lakewood/Long Beach, and I do not have to pay for kids, a spouse, or daycare. I wouldn't be able to afford a 2 bedroom let alone a house. Honestly, there are not many places in CA that are liveable on $20 an hour as the full income.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM

P.S. Lakewood and Long Beach are in LA county, not Orange (although they are close). I guess I wasn't thinking...if you do not go to work you won't need the daycare, so that saves a little...but having a second income means daycare. I don't really know how much a good daycare is, but I know it is a burden for some of my friends.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 11,709 times
Ya I realized after I posted that it was wrong folder.. my husband wants to move to orange county. I just really need to get back around my dad. I guess I will check out what the rate of daycare is. I only want to rent a place and I did own my own daycare so taking in a child wouldnt be a problem. I would have to see what the laws are about that out there though, Im sure they are different then where I am at now. thanks again!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:12 PM

19 posts, read 83,529 times
I have some friends who moved to Temecula and Vista area and really LOVE it there.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:42 PM

Temecula is about an hour and 15 minutes away from the Lakewood area though, and that's without traffic.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:17 AM

107 posts, read 766,328 times
Just posting to say that I'm another CA transplant that is trying to get back I'm also thinking of doing daycare when we get there- I'll need to do something if we move to the OC! I've been checking out Craig's List to see the going rates.....it seems to vary. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:49 PM

5 posts, read 11,329 times
Default There's a huge need for GREAT daycare for little ones in OC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisandole View Post
Just posting to say that I'm another CA transplant that is trying to get back I'm also thinking of doing daycare when we get there- I'll need to do something if we move to the OC! I've been checking out Craig's List to see the going rates.....it seems to vary. Good luck!
Hi,
I am presently a stay-home mom in Costa Mesa...have many friends that have Mexican nannys. They are the thing in OC. They come in the a.m. and leave in the p.m. Their biggest gripe is that they don't stimulate your children, read to them or speak very good english. It is NOT an adequate "mommy sub". They make between $250 - $300 a week.

My reason for writing this is to tell you there is a huge NEED for qualified daycare providers that can take a child or two into their homes...and if you have children at home it is a great 2nd income! It helps to get established in your church of choice and put the word out...it won't take you long to meet people in need of your services. I know a gal from church that daycares 3 children and makes $750 a week doing it...and gets to stay home with her kids at the same time!
Just food for thought...good luck and welcome.

Last edited by cuttinhairkaren; 03-11-2007 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: typo's

Old 03-12-2007, 01:17 AM

6,541 posts, read 15,130,177 times
Living in Bellflower, grew up in Lakewood.

We are selling in a few months, we thought about renting the house out but rentals are making a lot less than our house payment. Your husband will probably make more here in LA than where you are now.

Frankly it is easier to buy than rent. Landlords are demanding 1st, last and deposit to the point of needing excellent credit with $6000 to move in. Cheaper to buy! Our house payment is $1500 a month, rents are a bit less. I bought this house low so the payment is probably out of date for comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County