Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 AM

24 posts, read 101,317 times

Advertisements

My parents are in their early 60s and like most baby boomers they refuse to believe that they're getting older... even though they're now retired pensioners. They love California and want to retire there, and looked around Los Angeles where we have family. Problem is, while they love the Westside, housing prices are just not affordable. They are not interested in the Valley, and they think Calabasas is full of phonies.

So... now they're looking at the OC. My question is, if your parents were recently retired, where should they look? They want to live in a nice neighborhood in a nice house, but because we're East Coasters they can't understand why all the houses are 4000+ square feet. They don't want or need that much space. They're looking at Newport Beach, Newport Coast, Irvine and the Laguna/Aliso Viejo area. Where can they find a nice community where they can meet new people (they'd like to join a synagogue and be part of the Jewish community) who are down to earth and not into nouveau riche crap? We're from a nice old money town near New York where it's considered a little bit ghetto to show off your riches.

Any hope? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 01:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechase View Post
They want to live in a nice neighborhood in a nice house, but because we're East Coasters they can't understand why all the houses are 4000+ square feet. They don't want or need that much space.
Then they should look into areas with older, established neighborhoods with houses that were built before this idiotic McMansion fever fell upon the area. I'm a West Coaster and I don't understand it either....

Some suggestions:

The older neighborhoods of Mission Viejo. (missionhome, who has lived in MV for years, can assist you ably in that department)

San Clemente, West of the freeway on the coastal plain and just East of it in the hills above the high school.

The Capistrano Palisades section of Capistrano Beach. (That's where I grew up)

The older neighborhoods of Laguna Niguel.

I know there are synagogues, but that's all I know. In my opinion, the most Jewish friendly part of South OC would be the Laguna Woods area, but they're all older retirees, and something tells me your parents aren't ready for that life yet.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Stay away from the newly developed areas of OC to stay away from the phoneys and big homes. On the downside, that leaves areas that are holding their value better and have higher prices.

I have jewish family in older parts of irvine, but im unsure of how big the community is there. there really isnt all that much of a major jewish community around here anyways though. they're more spread out than some cities on the east coast

But anyways, like i started with, stay away from the newer areas and that should really help narrow down neighborhoods based on some of the preferences you mentioned

Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
We have jewish friends in Costa Mesa, they are older and love it there.
Costa Mesa is an older established beach city, with much less phonies then Newport and lower.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 PM

147 posts, read 568,436 times
they could be very happy in Laguna Woods

Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
They love California and want to retire there,
looked around Los Angeles where we have family.
now they're looking at the OC.
where should they look?
You really haven't provided enough relevant information. That's why the responses are spray painted all over the place.

Buy or rent? Price range or budget?
Where in Los Angeles is family?

What sort of living accommodations do they seek? SFR? Condo? Townhome? Retirement community?

Have you used any internet tools and identified clusters of temples or synagogues which might be indicative of the community? Some parts of town might be more characteristic than others.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
OC isn't particularly Jewish-oriented, sort of like rest of CA, outside of Westside and Encino

And for older people, as well as middle-aged people, would argue that healthcare in OC is rather inept.....esp vs best MDs at Cedars or UCLA and nearby quasi-academic private practices on Westside, esp for time-sensitive issues like heart attack or stroke....

Often rather telling when many/most talented physicians avoid living, working and/or raising kids in most parts of these vast urban regions...the infrastructure of life that most allegedly affluent places like NwptCoast or LJ/RSF or Montecito or Calabasas or PalosVerdesPenin or San Marino simply lack

Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
would argue that healthcare in OC is rather inept.....esp vs best MDs at Cedars or UCLA and nearby quasi-academic private practices on Westside, esp for time-sensitive issues like heart attack or stroke....
I would certainly agree the medical facilities should be one of the top considerations for retired aged people (I should have written that in my post).

Here's a five year old "report card" on OC medical facilities. Not sure how useful it is, but at least it provides an idea of what's out there (if these places are still out there).

http://www.southcoastmedcenter.com/graphics/news/report_card.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Quote:
My parents are in their early 60s and like most baby boomers they refuse to believe that they're getting older... even though they're now retired pensioners. They love California and want to retire there, and looked around Los Angeles where we have family. Problem is, while they love the Westside, housing prices are just not affordable. They are not interested in the Valley, and they think Calabasas is full of phonies.

So... now they're looking at the OC. My question is, if your parents were recently retired, where should they look? They want to live in a nice neighborhood in a nice house, but because we're East Coasters they can't understand why all the houses are 4000+ square feet. They don't want or need that much space. They're looking at Newport Beach, Newport Coast, Irvine and the Laguna/Aliso Viejo area. Where can they find a nice community where they can meet new people (they'd like to join a synagogue and be part of the Jewish community) who are down to earth and not into nouveau riche crap? We're from a nice old money town near New York where it's considered a little bit ghetto to show off your riches.

Any hope? Thanks for the help!
Give this place a call JCLLA: Jewish Community Library of Los Angeles
http://www.jewishla.org/Home_Page.cfm (broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Laguna Woods Village is a massive resort community of 20,000+ senior citizens and is very affordable (because most people are retired). I don't know a ton of details since the entire neighborhood is gated, but it is very clean and I usually hear great reviews from the people I do know that live there. I believe there is a member here on the OC forum that lives in Laguna Woods that can help you with any questions you may have of the community.
Laguna Woods Village Southern California Retirement Community

In Mission Viejo, we have the smaller Casta del Sol gated community. It has a golf course, some walking trails, and swim facilities but it is much smaller than Laguna Woods. It is a nice community with reasonably priced homes usually in the 1,500 square foot range.
Casta del Sol Community Association
I know there is a Chabad Jewish Center within walking distance of Casta del Sol in Mission Viejo. I drive by it all the time.
Chabad Jewish Center of Mission Viejo

Temple Beth El is also the major Jewish Temple is South OC. Lots of Jewish people in the area go there.
Temple Beth El Home Page

There are plenty of other areas in established neighborhoods of Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, and Laguna Hills that you might be interested in living in if you don't want the 55+ community. San Clemente is also a wonderful city to retire in and the ocean is stunning there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County