Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

Who knows about banks in Ventura County? My wife,son, and I are planning to move to the Oxnard area but can´t seem to get real good info HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 11:51 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
I've always used a credit union. Not sure what the advantages of a bank are (for a non-business individual). I have a safe deposit box there too.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 PM

489 posts, read 1,909,649 times
DEFINITLY stay away from B of A, their business practice is so wrong. I use USBank and have been very happy with it! I have a location a block from my house and another about 2 miles away. They do, however, charge you for using other banks ATM's. But they do have ATM's in many Walgreens in addition to all the locations throughout LA and OC. As for insurance you'll have to do that research on your own, everybody will have different rates dependent on their situation.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 AM

41 posts, read 187,864 times
Cali08,

We have been in the Oxnard Area for 5 years so I can answer any questions you might have. There are a couple of great options around here. If you are military or have ANY military connections (including friends or contractors) there is Navy Federal Credit Union. They have free ATM's at 1000's of locations including 7-11's. CBC Federal Credit Union is a big one here too. And of course, there are the usual mega players like Washington Mutual and Bank of America.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,815,663 times
It sees we have a lot of B of A haters. I don't now why, I chose them mainly because they have locations everywhere. I now do all of my banking online. They charge for using other banks ATM's? Who knew? Who would ever do that to find out? Not smart. They were the first to haave online banking, and are far ahead of the rest in that area. They are definately the way to go, don't listen to the people who bad mouth them. Get modern, go BofA........

Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM

50 posts, read 165,159 times
B of A is terrible , I have banked with them in the past and now have a couple of B of A credit cards. (They acquired other card companies where I had accounts so I was stuck with them.) Try to pay your B of A credit card online the day before it is due, especially if it is due on the weekend. Good luck, many times they will tell you the payment will not post till the day after it is due, an obvious attempt to generate late fees. They also have a different payment site you can go to expedite your payment for a fee! Their credit card operations are also on East Coast time so you lose if you try to make a payment on Friday afternoon.

I handle most of my banking and finances online so I am familiar with how other banks, credit card companies, and credit unions operate, all better than B of A. WaMu is a good consumer bank with many ATMs. The best credit union is Orange County Teachers Credit Union, it is a great operation and is even listed as one of the best companies to work for. There are other good credits unions that will give you access to a large "Co-op" network of ATMs for free.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM

After reading your post, I see why you hate B of A, you don't know how to use it..!!! Use the system as designed, and it is bullet proof. You can schedule your payments months or years ahead of time, so how could a payment be late? YOU schedule the payment for the exact day you want it to arrive, and the bank guarantees the day. If you wait until the day the payment is due, I can see having problems. Why would anyone wait until the last day? That is not smart business.
I use the e-bill system. The creditor emails the bank when your payment is due, and the bank schedules the payment when they receive the email. You have the option to have them make the payment when they receive the email, or on the due date, however YOU set it up. I get emails from my bank that a payment has been scheduled, even before I receive the bill from the vendor..! How can you possibly go wrong with a sure fire system like that?? You can even pre-schedule transfers from other accounts into your checking account on the day your payment is scheduled, or schedule it to be made the day your paycheck is deposited. The system is completely foolproof, unless you screw it up.! One requirement you may be lagging on, the bank does require you to have funds in your account to get the most out of the system.
Last month, I used too many transfers from my Maximize to my checking account, so the bank charged me $15.00 per extra transfer, so I got a charge for $30.00. I simply called the bank and talked to a manager. The $30.00 was returned to my account the following day.
The only possible way the system doesn't work, is if YOU screw it up. People need to take responsibility for their own short comings, and not blame the establishment every time they make a mistake..!
I also disagree other banks on line banking is better. They were the first to use it, and far and away better than the rest. Just follow the rules...!
I use the ATM frequently, and have NEVER incurred a charge, but then I only use BofA ATM's. Perhaps some lessons on money management would be beifiicial.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 PM

50 posts, read 165,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
After reading your post, I see why you hate B of A, you don't know how to use it..!!! Use the system as designed, and it is bullet proof. You can schedule your payments months or years ahead of time, so how could a payment be late? YOU schedule the payment for the exact day you want it to arrive, and the bank guarantees the day. If you wait until the day the payment is due, I can see having problems. Why would anyone wait until the last day? That is not smart business.
I use the e-bill system. The creditor emails the bank when your payment is due, and the bank schedules the payment when they receive the email. You have the option to have them make the payment when they receive the email, or on the due date, however YOU set it up. I get emails from my bank that a payment has been scheduled, even before I receive the bill from the vendor..! How can you possibly go wrong with a sure fire system like that?? You can even pre-schedule transfers from other accounts into your checking account on the day your payment is scheduled, or schedule it to be made the day your paycheck is deposited. The system is completely foolproof, unless you screw it up.! One requirement you may be lagging on, the bank does require you to have funds in your account to get the most out of the system.
Last month, I used too many transfers from my Maximize to my checking account, so the bank charged me $15.00 per extra transfer, so I got a charge for $30.00. I simply called the bank and talked to a manager. The $30.00 was returned to my account the following day.
The only possible way the system doesn't work, is if YOU screw it up. People need to take responsibility for their own short comings, and not blame the establishment every time they make a mistake..!
I also disagree other banks on line banking is better. They were the first to use it, and far and away better than the rest. Just follow the rules...!
I use the ATM frequently, and have NEVER incurred a charge, but then I only use BofA ATM's. Perhaps some lessons on money management would be beifiicial.
Thank you for the lecture. I will clear my mind of the past 20 years of actual B of A experiences and subscribe to your personal finance newsletter! I must go now; I have to schedule next year's credit card payments and I certainly don't want to screw it up!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:06 AM

bm22 Quote "Try to pay your B of A credit card online the day before it is due, especially if it is due on the weekend. Good luck, many times they will tell you the payment will not post till the day after it is due, an obvious attempt to generate late fees."

Completely false. When you make a B oA credit card payment from a B of A account, it is an immediate transaction, Saturday or not. Banks actually have computers now, so when you push the button to pay a bill, it arrives as fast as you can push the button, there is no delay for weekend transactions. If you don't know what you are talking about, it's best to keep quiet.
You definately should subscribe to my personal finance letter, perhaps then you would have the assets to make payments before the last day.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 AM

10 posts, read 98,455 times
stay FFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY from BoA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

try WaMu!!!!!!!!

as said from personal experience!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County