Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,481,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Well I think plenty of people are told to Americanize their accents, and refrain from speaking their native tongue around co-workers, which is essentially "covering up" your ethinicity.

Discrimination against any group is wrong.
How exactly is this discrimination? English is the de facto language of America. I suppose if a company is hiring many foreign nationals that speak different languages and the office is located in the United States, the company would like English to be used as the common language for all parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM

239 posts, read 708,600 times
OK, seriously? I grew up in Newport Beach. My mom is white and my step-dad and younger brothers are Mexican. We never had any issues with race. I went to Newport Harbor HS...spent every day at the beach...the whole deal. Never an issue.

OC is about 50% Hispanic. I have been in way more racist places. People are snobs there, not racist.

I just moved from Costa Mesa about 6 mos ago, it isnt run down, it is actually one of the most expensive neighborhoods. You want to stick to either the East side or near the fairgrounds. I do not really like Tustin, it has a lot of 'retirement' and low-income areas. And yes, Huntington Beach is a bit more 'punk', but some nice areas. Rossmoor and Garden grove are connected to HB, but HB, I think, is nicer.
If you really can afford $4000/month for rent, check out Eastside Costa Mesa. The houses may look run down from the outside, but they are usually nice on the inside. South Coast Plaza is near, the Back Bay Nature Preserve, 5 minutes from the beach, the list goes on. That is where I grew up and never had issues with people wondering if my step-dad spoke English.

A lot of Hispanic people seem to have all the jobs but, again, 50% of the residents are Hispanic! There are more Hispanic gardners and such, but you are also dealing with documentation (citizenship) when it comes to some of the lesser-wanted jobs.

I would go for the move. It is gorgeous and fun out there. People are friendly...just stay away from people driving BMW's with fake body parts and you will love them!

You could also consider going south a bit...just stay coastal: San Juan Capistrano and Dana Point are lovely, as is Laguna Beach, and the drive is not too bad to Newport.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:57 PM

188 posts, read 519,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
OC's black population is growing but very tiny. A little known fact about why OC has long had a near nonexistent black population is because the KKK forcibly drove black farm workers out of OC long ago, IIRC in the 1930s. Things have changed since then but OC still has very few blacks. UC Irvine however has helped draw a few blacks in.

If there are still problems regarding White/Hispanic couples in OC (which are accepted pretty much everywhere else in California) I'd assume that there are a great deal more problems regarding white/black couples - in fact I have heard a great deal about black male/white female couples encountering a great deal of problems in OC. That attitude is one of the last remnants of OC's long-fading Texan/Lower Midwestern roots. White male/black female couples probably don't exist in OC or if they do in too small numbers for anyone to notice. Latino male/Asian female couples probably don't get too much crap but I don't know this for sure. Elsewhere in CA pretty much any male/Asian female couples are accepted. The number of Asian male/Latina female couples in CA is small enough I couldn't even tell you the attitude in the whole state much less OC. If it's anything like the rest of the state, money trumps everything else. But that's not always a safe assumption to make in OC.
That's unfortunate to hear. Thanks for the info, I've never realized all that stuff happened there in the past. I too, like many outsiders had other impressions of OC.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,166,158 times
Quote:
Well I think plenty of people are told to Americanize their accents, and refrain from speaking their native tongue around co-workers, which is essentially "covering up" your ethinicity.

Discrimination against any group is wrong.
Speaking your native tongue around co-workers is more or less whispering in someone's ear.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 PM

10,012 posts, read 9,439,871 times
Actually areas predominantly black, hispanic, asian, etc... tend to be just as intolerant (racist) as predominantly white neighborhoods. The reason it is discussed more is that mentioning racism in races other than white non-hispanics is not politically correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Here is another one: http://www.city-data.com/forum/orang...oc-racist.html

Why do some OC residents feel it is ok to treat people this way? Rich white people exist everywhere in California, why is it only OC that we hear is so overtly racist.

Is it because of the Republicans? Do some think they are doing other republicans a favor by equating illegal = all hispanics. I just find it odd that it is also the only red county on the coast and yields so many complaints on this subject.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 PM

239 posts, read 708,600 times
So True.

I have experienced a lot of racism from non-white people. Mainly in Atlanta and here in Raleigh. It just doesnt get brought up.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,046,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Speaking your native tongue around co-workers is more or less whispering in someone's ear.
I guess if you're particularly insecure. There's no law against being bilingual. I didn't say that people shouldn't speak English on the job, but if they were in the lunch room with friends, say, off the clock... Why can't they speak their native language? I am bilingual and overhear conversations all the time, and they're not gossiping, they're just talking about random stuff. It's more comfortable speaking in your native tongue. Not to mention, some things just don't translate. Especially humor.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,694,074 times
Quote:
There's no law against being bilingual.
There's no law against whispering either.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:59 PM

177 posts, read 704,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
OC's black population is growing but very tiny. A little known fact about why OC has long had a near nonexistent black population is because the KKK forcibly drove black farm workers out of OC long ago, IIRC in the 1930s. Things have changed since then but OC still has very few blacks. UC Irvine however has helped draw a few blacks in.

If there are still problems regarding White/Hispanic couples in OC (which are accepted pretty much everywhere else in California) I'd assume that there are a great deal more problems regarding white/black couples - in fact I have heard a great deal about black male/white female couples encountering a great deal of problems in OC. That attitude is one of the last remnants of OC's long-fading Texan/Lower Midwestern roots. White male/black female couples probably don't exist in OC or if they do in too small numbers for anyone to notice. Latino male/Asian female couples probably don't get too much crap but I don't know this for sure. Elsewhere in CA pretty much any male/Asian female couples are accepted. The number of Asian male/Latina female couples in CA is small enough I couldn't even tell you the attitude in the whole state much less OC. If it's anything like the rest of the state, money trumps everything else. But that's not always a safe assumption to make in OC.
I'm a black Californian living in LA County. I sure as hell don't have any interest in moving to the OC. I think LA County such as LA city and Long Beach is more tolerable of black male/white female couples, from what I've seen.

Orange County is just like the South.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,481,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerman View Post
I'm a black Californian living in LA County. I sure as hell don't have any interest in moving to the OC. I think LA County such as LA city and Long Beach is more tolerable of black male/white female couples, from what I've seen.

Orange County is just like the South.
short sided generalizations will get you nowhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County