Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM

198 posts, read 653,995 times

Advertisements

So many critics, OC has 5+ million people? who the hell can speak for all of them?
Southern California's majority race is HISPANIC, followed by Whites, Blacks, Summoins and Asians.
Dont worry about racism, SoCal is the most ethnically diverse region in the country.
It just depends where you are, OC is tight, take the opportunity and run, White and Hispanic
couples are about the most common mix there is, shouldnt be a problem.
Goodluck!

And for the racism comments, There is alot of rich retirement in SoCal, so it would seem that white people are the upper class, but they are so wrong in so many ways.. Everything from Mayors, Record Execs, Business owners etc are ethnic. Hispanic's might look poor because they are one of the few people out there hustling, doing yard work, throwing up drywall and selling food in your local store parking lots. Although they look poor, they are making more than your average white family because they go the extra mile to do it.
Maybe thats why so many people hate on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 AM

125 posts, read 440,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
So many critics, OC has 5+ million people? who the hell can speak for all of them?
Southern California's majority race is HISPANIC, followed by Whites, Blacks, Summoins and Asians.
Dont worry about racism, SoCal is the most ethnically diverse region in the country.
3 things.

First off, Orange County has 3,121,251 people, no where near 5 million.

And second, the majority race is White, with 64% of the population.

Finally, I would never call Southern CA the most ethnically diverse region in the country, that would be NY.

Might wanna check your facts next time...

Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 67,719 times
It seems the overwhelming response is that OC DOES in fact have racist issues towards hispanics.

I am really glad I posted here, my fiance and I are just not used to the type of behavior we experienced while in OC. It's just amazing that the South (FL, GA, NC) seems more racially tolerant than OC...never would have thought that.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM

14 posts, read 67,719 times
I am just wondering are you hispanic or know hispanics that live in OC that don't receive racist treatment? If so, you are the first person that I have heard from on the internet or people that I have met here in Orlando...that have said that.

I have been asking around at work and a co worker of mine (Cuban guy) said he would never live in SoCal and that OC is by far the worst place for racism towards hispanics..

I just never thought this would be an issue...since people seem to think California is full of hispanics. So crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
It just depends where you are, OC is tight, take the opportunity and run, White and Hispanic
couples are about the most common mix there is, shouldnt be a problem.
Goodluck!

And for the racism comments, There is alot of rich retirement in SoCal, so it would seem that white people are the upper class, but they are so wrong in so many ways.. Everything from Mayors, Record Execs, Business owners etc are ethnic. Hispanic's might look poor because they are one of the few people out there hustling, doing yard work, throwing up drywall and selling food in your local store parking lots. Although they look poor, they are making more than your average white family because they go the extra mile to do it.
Maybe thats why so many people hate on them?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
the overwhelming response in this thread also comes from south oc residents. keep in mind south oc is dramatically different than other parts of oc

Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,678 times
CA is so full of hispanics, but it doesn't mean that everyone's getting along... We're still a very self-segregated society. There are pockets of racial groups and only a fraction of minorities live outside of them.

LA is a completely different animal than OC, but still relatively segregated. The difference is that in LA people pride themselves on being politically correct and open minded. In OC, people pride themselves in being conservative and anti-illegal immigrant. No bother that many hispanics were either born here or LEGALLY immigrated.

NY is more of a melting pot.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
There was a similar thread to this a while ago. (It started out as an OC thread and it looks like it got moved to a different forum.)

Examples of Racism we have seen in OC

Old 02-25-2009, 10:06 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Here is another one: The OC is racist!

Why do some OC residents feel it is ok to treat people this way? Rich white people exist everywhere in California, why is it only OC that we hear is so overtly racist.

Is it because of the Republicans? Do some think they are doing other republicans a favor by equating illegal = all hispanics. I just find it odd that it is also the only red county on the coast and yields so many complaints on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There was a similar thread to this a while ago. (It started out as an OC thread and it looks like it got moved to a different forum.)

Examples of Racism we have seen in OC

Last edited by Mach50; 02-25-2009 at 10:20 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,258 times
As a bi-racial (Mexican/white, but look Mexican) female who has lived in OC almost my whole life I have to say that there is racism everywhere I have been. I have been to Newport beach many times with my white family and get treated differently then when I am by myself or other "colored" people. But I find this true almost everywhereI have been (besides Mexico and Puerto Rico). I work in LA as an RN and come out to LA often, but just like OC it depends on where you are at. I get treated differently in east LA then say westwood or Santa Monica. I get treated differently in Newport beach then say Santa Ana.
Now on another note I have never felt threatened or harmed in anyway. As a couple in public, my parents never felt they were treated any differently. I myself have dated white, Asian and Hispanic guys with no strange looks or comments. So as a whole I believe that OC is a safe place to live even as a interracial couple.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Pearl

Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Here is another one: The OC is racist!

Why do some OC residents feel it is ok to treat people this way? Rich white people exist everywhere in California, why is it only OC that we hear is so overtly racist.

Is it because of the Republicans? Do some think they are doing other republicans a favor by equating illegal = all hispanics. I just find it odd that it is also the only red county on the coast and yields so many complaints on this subject.
Yep, I think it is the "Christian Right" which many times equals "stuffy, uptight, crackers!"

I began to hate my town during the whole Prop 8 campaign, when my neighbors took to the streets screaming their anti-gay hatred to uninterested passers-by. Prior to that, the racism was more "in the closet". That election brought out the worst in people, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County