U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,719 times

Advertisements

We are going to be purchasing in condo in the aliso villas condos in mission viejo and if I could get some feedback on this property would be great. My concern was the high association for our property it would be 366 a month and although it would fit our budget right now it won't if they continue to if they continually go up. Does anybody know about the hoa dues how the properties are , good investment we are getting it for 200,000 for a 3 bd room 1.5 bath upstairs/downstairs unit with garage attched. Is it a safe complex and how strict are they with everything I also have two young kids. I saw Glen yermo was the elementry school is it a good school?
Any feedback would be really great!!!
Thanks!!
Mel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,270,579 times
Hi Mel!

The Aliso Villas are decent, but do know that they are an older complex built in 1972. Some units are nicely upgraded with granite counters, new carpet, fresh paint, etc... and other still look exactly like they did over thirty years ago, but older and more rundown. Pride of ownership varies from owner to owner in there. I am very surprised about the association dues, seems really high for a complex offering nothing more than two older swimming pools and having to maintain the landscaping. Whether this is a good investment or not is up to you. I'm no expert on real estate and the whole speculation game as I have not dealed with the hassle of moving since 1994 when we first came to Mission Viejo. The Aliso Villas are typically at the lowest end of Mission Viejo real estate though and one of the lower price per square foot as the units are large for a condo, but still some of the lowest priced in the city.

Also, the Aliso Villas community is majority Hispanic. Not sure if that is an issue or not, for some people it is a big one and some don't care, just letting you know. Don't be surprised to have neighbors that don't speak English or even a few illegal aliens in the neighborhood.

Glen Yermo Elementary is the only elementary school in Mission Viejo that has not hit the 800 API benchmark on state exams. The school has shown great improvement though jumping from 756 in 2007 to 792 in 2008. Hopefully the school hits 800 this spring. It is good progress at a school were 37% of the student are English language learners and 47% get reduced lunch. I would maybe recommend you look into a transfer with in the district, something many parents do, to nearby Cordillera Elementary or Del Lago Elementary within Saddleback Valley Unified if the test scores concern you.

Also, click on this greatschools.com link to see three pages of parent reviews on Glen Yermo: http://www.greatschools.net/school/p...pager.offset=0

Old 03-28-2009, 11:16 PM

9 posts, read 33,821 times
This question is for missionhome is anyone else that is real familiar with MV. I've been stuck in Riverside County for five years and finally have a shot of moving back to Southern OC where I'm originally from. Our affordability is 300000 or less. We've been having a heck of a time finding a decent place. We have an offer on a 3bdrm condo in Rainbow Ridge condos in MV. They're behind Henry's and walking distance to Trabuco Hills HIgh School. I have a son in highschool and a daughter going into eighth grade. I would love to live in a single family residence neighborhood which is what we have always been in, but the best we can do now is condos. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Do you know anything about Rainbow Ridge??

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 AM

Rainbow Ridge is a nice community. It is located close to the tollroad and the walking distance to THHS is a major plus. The neighborhood is clean and attractive, the residents are respectful, and the pool/spa is nice. I don't really think there is anything bad to say about it. The lake is just a mile down Marguerite and a Vons and Ralphs Grocery are close. You have Long's Drugs, Henry's Market, TJ Max, Party City, Starbucks, LA Fitness, Blockbuster Video Rental, Claim Jumper, Walgreens, etc... in the shopping centers nearby. Foothill Ranch (5-10 minutes) is pretty close to there to for the Regal Movie Theater and dinning there also.

Trabuco Hills HS is a great high school. Students come from the northern tip of Mission Viejo, northern Lake Forest, and central Rancho Santa Margarita. The IB program is possibly going to be cut at THHS, but a vast AP Program will remain (if your son will be taking those types of classes). I here good things about Trabuco Hills though and the students love their school. Sports are strong, extra curriculars are plentiful, and a new parking structure and building is going in as well. Your daughter will be at La Paz Intermediate for one year and it is a fine intermediate school and she will join your son at Trabuco the next year.

All in all, if you liked Rainbow Ridge, then I think it is a good choice in MV.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:55 AM

Default Rainbow Ridge

MissionHome,

Thank you for your feedback. Out of all the condos we've seen in this price range, they seem to offer the most. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the idea of condo living. Living so close to eachother and more renters makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm always concerned about late night partying etc. I want my daughter to feel comfortable walking to the pool or store without dealing with undesirables. All in all, I'm just very happy to be able to get back to Southern OC!!

Sincerely, Sailfish!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 AM

Sailfish,
I have a suggested listing for you if you want to get into a home rather than a condo. There is a community in north Mission Viejo called "Eastbrook." It is a nice neighborhood of single story and two story homes that are listed as "condos" for tax purposes and stuff, but are really single family homes. They share no walls with the neighboring homes, have two car garages, driveways, backyards (very small though), and sideyards. It doesn't have a community pool though, so if that is important you may need to join a city rec center or the YMCA.

The one listing is on Hiddenbrook and is 2 bedrooms and 2 baths in 1,100 square feet. It is nice and bright inside and the best part is your share no walls with the neighbor like in the Rainbow Ridge condos! Check it out on google maps street view or microsoft live earth bird's eye view and you will see the greater space it gives you over Rainbow Ridge. Listing price is $309k, but you could offer just under $300k I bet. There are some photos of the community on the association website: http://eastbrookhoa.com/get_gallery.php?id=6&pid=237

Here is a link to the listing (let me know if link doesn't work): 21522 Hiddenbrook #141, Mission Viejo, CA 92692 | MLS# S562927

It still attends Trabuco Hills HS, but for intermediate school attends Los Alisos Intermediate. Los Alisos is a fine school for the one year your daughter is there before joining your son at Trabuco Hills.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Eastbrook

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, we need three bedrooms.

Sailfish

Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, we need three bedrooms.

Sailfish
Got it. I should of thought you would want that since you have a teenage boy and girl. In that case, Rainbow Ridge is the best choice. You should like it there and I believe 3 bedrooms are all end units so you will have some space on one side.

Don't hesitate if you have more questions.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 AM

14 posts, read 47,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melw View Post
We are going to be purchasing in condo in the aliso villas condos in mission viejo and if I could get some feedback on this property would be great. My concern was the high association for our property it would be 366 a month and although it would fit our budget right now it won't if they continue to if they continually go up. Does anybody know about the hoa dues how the properties are , good investment we are getting it for 200,000 for a 3 bd room 1.5 bath upstairs/downstairs unit with garage attched. Is it a safe complex and how strict are they with everything I also have two young kids. I saw Glen yermo was the elementry school is it a good school?
Any feedback would be really great!!!
Thanks!!
Mel
You most likely don't need this information any longer. But what I can say is Aliso Villas is one of the most ghetto areas in all of south orange county. There are a lot of low income families that all live in one small condo. There is a large hispanic population, in fact most units are packed full of mexican workers that don't speak much english. I am not saying that to be racist. But face it a neighborhood filled with mexicans doesn't do well for investment purposes. Those condos right now are going for $180k for a 3 bedroom. That is disgusting.

I went and looked in that complex one night and you had to park literally 1/4 mile away on the main busy street if you didn't have a garage. The pool was really sketchy. Had bars all around it and notices that were written in spanish on the main gate talking about how children should wear diapers. Etc.

Aliso Villas is a shame. If they put money into those units and drove all the low income families out of there it could potentially be nice.

But I would never ever feel comfortable having a child roam around, or have my wife walk to and from her car late at night.

BAAAADDD neighborhood for OC's standards

Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdmedia View Post
You most likely don't need this information any longer. But what I can say is Aliso Villas is one of the most ghetto areas in all of south orange county. There are a lot of low income families that all live in one small condo. There is a large hispanic population, in fact most units are packed full of mexican workers that don't speak much english. I am not saying that to be racist. But face it a neighborhood filled with mexicans doesn't do well for investment purposes. Those condos right now are going for $180k for a 3 bedroom. That is disgusting.

I went and looked in that complex one night and you had to park literally 1/4 mile away on the main busy street if you didn't have a garage. The pool was really sketchy. Had bars all around it and notices that were written in spanish on the main gate talking about how children should wear diapers. Etc.

Aliso Villas is a shame. If they put money into those units and drove all the low income families out of there it could potentially be nice.

But I would never ever feel comfortable having a child roam around, or have my wife walk to and from her car late at night.

BAAAADDD neighborhood for OC's standards
Most Condos/Townhomes with pools are fenced in to keep kids out when an adult is not present so a child does not drown and to keep teens and other people who do not live there OUT!
The parking here has a One car garage and One assigned parking stall for each unit. There is also visitor parking available on Via Pimiento nearest to Trabuco Road. They also have security on the premises driving around on patrol. Prices are down everywhere due to the economy and people losing jobs. This place is a good place to live but it isn't on the high end as far as condos go. The greedy banks are the ones responsible for selling ANY place to people who cannot afford to buy in the first place. Banks have nothing to lose if a home owner walks away and can't pay.

I have lived here since 1986 and trust me, it 's safer here in some areas and worse in others but you will find that no matter where you move to; especially in larger complexes. Parents need to be more responsible for their kids and what their doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or