U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 PM

177 posts, read 640,275 times

Advertisements

Liberal cities don't exist in OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 PM

6,220 posts, read 6,645,005 times
Interesting....You need to review the voting results for prop 8. Along OC, liberal L.A. county voted in favor. Our liberal President also opposes gay marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
People who are the following: religiously tolerant, tolerant of gay marriage, not so vehemently anti-tax in a knee-jerk manner, and just open-minded in general.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 PM

71,700 posts, read 83,289,352 times
BrinSM

When you mention the high consentration of Asians and Hispanics in Fullerton are you saying these groups are usually liberal? I only say this because I do not think of Asians as being particularly liberal. Maybe you were just saying there is a good mixture of ethnic groups..

As for Fullerton being liberal, because of the university I would be inclined to agree with you. It is probably as liberal as you will find in OC, bu still not liberal I do not think..

Nita

Old 03-15-2009, 12:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,882,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
BrinSM

When you mention the high consentration of Asians and Hispanics in Fullerton are you saying these groups are usually liberal? I only say this because I do not think of Asians as being particularly liberal. Maybe you were just saying there is a good mixture of ethnic groups..

As for Fullerton being liberal, because of the university I would be inclined to agree with you. It is probably as liberal as you will find in OC, bu still not liberal I do not think..

Nita
I don't even think Fullerton's schools have much impact. They're both commuter schools so the students live all over the place. UCI is a commuter school too but it has more on campus housing for both students and faculty and is a very red block on the map in the Prop8 story I posted on the first page.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:59 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,289,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
BrinSM

Nita
Nita
Asians and especially Latinos are part of the base of the Democratic party [people who almost instinctively vote liberal]. Blacks are another racial group that never vote Republican.

Because LA is so ethnically diverse it is a Democratic stronghold. Only the Bay Area equals LA in numbers of Democratic compared to Republicans. Certainly universities\ colleges influence how a city votes. I lived in Chico as a kid where the university is nearly half the town's population. But even Laguna Woods [a retirement town] voted for Obama & want a marijuana dispensary

Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM

71,700 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I don't even think Fullerton's schools have much impact. They're both commuter schools so the students live all over the place. UCI is a commuter school too but it has more on campus housing for both students and faculty and is a very red block on the map in the Prop8 story I posted on the first page.
That is probably pretty true, I was just trying to think of some city that might lean a little more to the left.

Happ, I am not going to argue with you as I do not have the facts and I am sure you do. My feeling from what I do know (not particularly Ca politics) Latins, yes, are more inclined to vote Democratic but Asians not so much so. Of course blacks do, that isn't anything new. Again, if you have figures for the Asians throughout the country showing Asians are democrats I certainly am not going to argue.

Nita

Old 03-15-2009, 03:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,425,884 times
Quote:
Asians and especially Latinos are part of the base of the Democratic party [people who almost instinctively vote liberal].
they dont instinctively vote liberal. they may vote democrat, but that is something else. latinos tend to be socially conservative(pretty heavily) and asians tend to be libertarian(many of the asians in the so cal basin are first or second generation escaping from oppressive totalitarian regimes in cambodia, korea, vietnam, etc).

Old 03-15-2009, 05:31 PM

17,447 posts, read 23,883,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
they dont instinctively vote liberal. they may vote democrat, but that is something else. latinos tend to be socially conservative(pretty heavily) and asians tend to be libertarian(many of the asians in the so cal basin are first or second generation escaping from oppressive totalitarian regimes in cambodia, korea, vietnam, etc).
Based on what I've observed living in both SoCal and the Bay Area, Asians tend to be moderate Dems rather than liberals.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,077,315 times
Since family values make up a huge portion of Asian culture, I'm surprised there's not more Asian Republicans.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM

6,220 posts, read 6,645,005 times
Yah...Don't want to live in snobbish conservative OC, like Newport Beach. How about Compton, very open-minded.

I wonder which city has a higher murder rate, gotta love those open-minded liberals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
People who are the following: religiously tolerant, tolerant of gay marriage, not so vehemently anti-tax in a knee-jerk manner, and just open-minded in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County