Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanf813 View Post
I wanted to ask about the job market with the economy in California. Is it hard to get a job, are alot of people getting laid off?
I think all any of have to do is read the newspapers. Ca has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, but not the highest. I think N.C and i know Mi are higher..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think all any of have to do is read the newspapers. Ca has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, but not the highest. I think N.C and i know Mi are higher..

Nita

That is interesting to see. I know that MI is higher (I live in MI and OC both), however people from MI are flocking to NC becuase it is rumoured that there are jobs there. Maybe that is why their numbers are so high. They are getting packed full of unemployed michiganders. I think that MI's numbers woudl be a lot higher if it weren't for so many people leaving.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is interesting to see. I know that MI is higher (I live in MI and OC both), however people from MI are flocking to NC becuase it is rumoured that there are jobs there. Maybe that is why their numbers are so high. They are getting packed full of unemployed michiganders. I think that MI's numbers woudl be a lot higher if it weren't for so many people leaving.
could be, I think the list in our paper yesterday had Mi at 13.5 and NC about 11 or 12%..

Nita

Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
North Carolina's might be high in part because its the 10th largest state in the union, population-wise.

Charlotte, after New York City, is/was a banking hub that took a huge hit, especially with Wachovia going belly-up, but there's still a lot of white collar work in other parts of the state (Piedmont, Raleigh-Durham).

Old 04-03-2009, 01:53 PM

11 posts, read 24,575 times
Where are you? It helps put some perspective. If you are not in CA, unless you have a full time position as an Engineer of Systems Programmer (IT World), you'd be making a bad move at this time. The reason is that most fields of work are depleting or reducing work hours/days. The clue here should be that our state is in bankruptcy. Though our governor has not come out and said it, we are and have been for some time now. Couple that with the housing crisis, unemployment and the out of control cost of living -- not a good move right now. I LOVE CALIFORNIA and have lived here happily for 15 yrs but after being laid off from 2 full time jobs within 4 months of each other and not being able to secure a full time job in the private or public sector for nearly a year, I am SERIOUSLY considering leaving the state. I have family in San Diego and it's just as bad. Don't even think of Northern California -- the cost of living up there is almost double that of So Cal and I think So Cal is out of control. Not even temping as an Admin Assistant has been steady for me. I easily go 3-4 weeks without work and I've got skills! I am an HR professional and have been for 8 yrs. and cannot get a job, not even as an HR Assistant. The competition is horrible and if someone is an HR certified person, you're out of the running. Sorry to sound negative, it's not my intention. I just want to let you know that what everyone has said so far is true. This is not the place to come to at this time. Maybe down the road but not now at all. One last note: you will have to earn at least 75K to live well enough to pay your bills, rent, car, insurance and afford to have some kind of social life. 50K won't get you anywhere in LA --sad bu true.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,326 times

Hey you guys are believing gov't figures........True unemployment has got to be around a good 15% because gov't figures usually don't use

1) under employed people (people who cant find full time jobs so they work part time)
2) people who plain gave up looking for jobs
3)people who have not filed for unemployment benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County