U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:19 PM

7 posts, read 11,048 times

Advertisements

I am starting my search as a first-time homebuyer. I'm having trouble deciding which cities to focus on because i'm still pretty new to Orange County (and to CA in general). I'm debating the pros and cons b/w N. and S. OC. I'm 29 and single. I still like to go out and have fun, but I also want to feel really safe since i'm living on my own. I love the beach so I prefer to be as close to it as possible. My budget is tight though. I'm leaning towards S. OC because it seems alot cleaner and nicer than N. OC but it seems pretty boring. Aliso Viejo is at the top of my list right now because the prices are decent and it seems like a pretty city that is close to the beach. If I can afford anything in Dana Point or Irvine i'm considering those areas too. I need to do alot more exploring, but any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 PM

5,712 posts, read 7,156,067 times
Leave a figure of how much you can afford. Prices in Orange County vary widely. That said, if you can afford to live in Dana Point, that would be a great choice. Actually, I'd consider living on board a boat there if they allow liveaboards. I don't know the current situation at the marina, but that might be a relatively cheap way to become a resident.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,657 times
Default i specializie in the areas you are looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK628 View Post
I am starting my search as a first-time homebuyer. I'm having trouble deciding which cities to focus on because i'm still pretty new to Orange County (and to CA in general). I'm debating the pros and cons b/w N. and S. OC. I'm 29 and single. I still like to go out and have fun, but I also want to feel really safe since i'm living on my own. I love the beach so I prefer to be as close to it as possible. My budget is tight though. I'm leaning towards S. OC because it seems alot cleaner and nicer than N. OC but it seems pretty boring. Aliso Viejo is at the top of my list right now because the prices are decent and it seems like a pretty city that is close to the beach. If I can afford anything in Dana Point or Irvine i'm considering those areas too. I need to do alot more exploring, but any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated!
let me know if you have an agent/broker to work with.

if not i can be of great help to you.

regards, bob

Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,224,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK628 View Post
I am starting my search as a first-time homebuyer.
My budget is tight though.
Married? If no, within five years?
Where is your job? Spouse's job?
Kids? Ages?
SRR, Condo?
Budget for home?

Old 03-21-2009, 04:14 PM

7,376 posts, read 11,798,804 times
If you are new and not familiar with the area, get an apartment for a year until you are knowledgable. Don't buy a house until you are sure where you want to live for the next bunch of years...

Old 03-21-2009, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 11,048 times
Single. No kids. Maybe will be married w/in the next few years. I'm looking for a condo. Thanks for your input on my decision to buy, but i'm really just looking for opinions on different areas.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 11,176 times
Do not buy a condo unless that is going to be your permanent residence. The resell on a condo right now is beyond awful. I would not buy anything until the bottom of the market has been established with utmost certainty. Keep saving for a larger down payment. Aliso Viejo is OK if you are trying to keep up with the Joneses, however, right now that facade is being eaten away at as mommy and daddy can't afford their overpriced stucco and spanish tile POS that they overpaid for. Look for the gigantic SUV in the driveway... you know who you are!

Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 PM

916 posts, read 2,274,216 times
generally speaking, pick the beach city closest to your work.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:34 PM

615 posts, read 1,396,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Leave a figure of how much you can afford. Prices in Orange County vary widely. That said, if you can afford to live in Dana Point, that would be a great choice. Actually, I'd consider living on board a boat there if they allow liveaboards. I don't know the current situation at the marina, but that might be a relatively cheap way to become a resident.
you cant be serious to suggest someone to live on a boat...some ppl watch to many movies where ppl live on a boat and sail into the sunset....OMG!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 PM

35 posts, read 130,225 times
Make sure the agent that you ultimately decide to work with knows about the new Housing Affordability Fund Mortgage Protection Program.

How to Get Mortgage Protection If You Are a First Time Home Buyer | eHow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County