Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:40 PM

10 posts, read 23,201 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

(I apologize for being lengthy in advance)

I just joined C-D though I've been reading many of these posts for a while and all are very interesting. I didn't want to post my own thread, but I figured it may be more helpful this way in case people have more specific advise/comments regarding my circumstances.

I will be moving to SoCal in May. I have a job in Costa Mesa and I'm trying to figure out where I want to live. My job is right off the 405, in case it is relevant for the following questions.

I'm 25, male, and very laid back. I have lived in the northeast most of my life, though I lived in Santa Monica for a summer. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad and fortunate that I got a job in SoCal and can leave the cold weather. Anyways, I'd like to hear from people regarding what towns are best for people my age who like going out to bars and meeting new people. I do not want to live in a place that closes early or has a few choices for nightlife. I also don't want to be too far from "the scene" because I like going out and not having to drive (I'd rather cab it home). I'd like to join a young-feeling community that has plenty of new people from out of town like myself trying to meet others, instead of a community where people are exclusively into their group of friends. Oh, and living close to the beach in a nice safe area is preferable.

I've been looking at newport and huntington...any advice about these ,taking into consideration what I previously mentioned? Any other areas in northern OC that would meet my criteria?

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind having a longer commute and moving a bit further north (Long Beach, Hermosa, Manhattan) - any suggestions about those? I visited Hermosa and it was gorgeous. I also was in Long Beach (the belmont shore area, I believe 2nd street-ish) and looked pretty happening. Anyways, I'd greatly appreciate suggestions about these. I guess overall I'm looking for a place where I can meet young, friendly, single people.

I look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks a bunch in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 09:55 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,053 times
Your best option is Belmont Shore. It's upscale and young people love it. Plus you have 4th street which is where the hipsters are near by. And the drive to costa mesa is only 25 min if you do PCH.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Your best option is Belmont Shore. It's upscale and young people love it. Plus you have 4th street which is where the hipsters are near by. And the drive to costa mesa is only 25 min if you do PCH.
Was going to say the same thing: belmont shore all the way

Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times
Personally, I'd want to live as close to work as possible since traffic is a nightmare and you'll most likely be using the parking lot otherwise known as the 405. Belmont would be nice...if you were living further north in Seal Beach or Los Alamitos.

If you can afford it, Huntington near the beach is fairly lively (huge surfing community), just avoid CA-39/Beach Blvd. Trying to go anywhere in Newport can be a real pain in the a** if you have to use the 55/Newport Blvd or the PCH as part of your commute.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:44 AM

Is there such a thing as "reverse commute" in LA? I felt like when I was there, driving down towards the OC from LA, the traffic was much lighter in the evening commute going north, than going south. Is this generally the case, or was that an anomaly? And has anyone ever had to actually do the commute from Hermosa/Manhattan to Costa Mesa? The reason I'm not as concerned about traffic is because I'll be working long days, so I would potentially be commuting around 7am and after 7pm, where traffic may be a little less dense.

It's a shame because there are hardly any places for rent in Belmont Shore. So any other suggestions?

Last edited by a8270vs; 03-22-2009 at 08:24 AM..

Old 03-22-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8270vs View Post
Is there such a thing as "reverse commute" in LA? I felt like when I was there, driving down towards the OC from LA, the traffic was much lighter in the evening commute going north, than going south. Is this generally the case, or was that an anomaly? And has anyone ever had to actually do the commute from Hermosa/Manhattan to Costa Mesa? The reason I'm not as concerned about traffic is because I'll be working long days, so I would potentially be commuting around 7am and after 7pm, where traffic may be a little less dense.

It's a shame because there are hardly any places for rent in Belmont Shore. So any other suggestions?
there are lots of places to rent in belmont shore. check gazettes.com

There are no good commutes/reverse commutes in LA/OC. And it's bad on the 405 both ways.

The commute from belmont to costa mesa isn't bad though. Just take PCH and you'll be fine. I do it every day in about 25 minutes.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,961 times
Morning rush hour lasts from 5am-9am, give or take. If there's an accident or a shoe lying on the side of the road that everyone rubbernecks, its usually worse. Afternoon rush hour lasts from about 3pm to 8pm. LA/OC's rush hour lasts forever since people are stupid and try to commute 50 miles from where they work.

The only place I've seen reverse commuting is on the 55 in Orange, but that's nowhere near where you'll want to be. The 5, 405, 22 and 91 are all clogged both ways during rush hour.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:42 AM

Great, thanks for the info. I think as a result I'll now definitely be looking at places in LB and south to keep it around 30 minutes or less. With that said, besides belmont shore, is there any other place that resembles that atmosphere where I can look?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8270vs View Post
Great, thanks for the info. I think as a result I'll now definitely be looking at places in LB and south to keep it around 30 minutes or less. With that said, besides belmont shore, is there any other place that resembles that atmosphere where I can look?
Belmont Shore, Seal Beach, Huntington and Newport are your options.

Belmont Shore has the biggest mix of families, young professionals, college students (lots of Long Beach State students around), etc. Also within walking distance is 4th street which is artsy if you like that sort of thing. They have a "retro row" there that lots of young peopl like.

Seal Beach is slower than Belmont Shore and smaller, but it is upscale like Belmont Shore and is quaint.

Huntington is busy and lots of young people. I personally don't like the vibe there. Seems more agressive whereas Belmont and Seal are much more relaxed and welcoming. It's a weird contrast though because HB positions itself as a tourist destination.

I know the least about Newport but it upscale and a pretty big party scene from what I understand.

You really should visit them all and see which one you like best.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 AM

241 posts, read 939,841 times
personally think OC is not a good place for mid or even in the 20s. More like a place for older like 20 or more years older. Want to be around lots of people than LB would be good and possibly affordable than OC. If you really like to live in a place for your age than any city in around LB in LA county would be good if your main priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County