U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 PM

11 posts, read 36,798 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband bought a house last November. We are both in the title and we are both on the loan. Is there a way I could remove my husband's name on the loan. We both have good credit scores but in case something happens to our house eg foreclosure, I want someone to be left with a good credit. Have anyone heard about this quit claim or do I have to refinance the house under my name only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 11:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,869,308 times
Was your combined income required to obtain the loan? I can't imagine the bank releasing him from the liability unless you reapplied and proved you qualified for the loan on your own.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:49 PM

11 posts, read 36,798 times
I should have applied on my own coz were making good money anyway. I think the only way I van take him out from the loan is to refinance the house on my own.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 PM

336 posts, read 1,251,054 times
Talk to your mortgage holder - they may be able to do a qualifying assumption, which would qualify the one person who wants to be responsible for the note. They usually don't have as many extra fee's involved as if you do a whole new refinance. Depends on whether the loan has an assumable clause or not. I did one for a friend of mine who wanted his ex-wife off so she could buy her own house. I actually told him what to do and walked him thru the whole process because it was in his best interest. I could have refinanced the loan but it would have cost him over $3500 in closing costs and no sense in rolling all that back into the new loan - when the bank did it for $700. But he did need to meet all the income and credit guidelines the same as if he were buying a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County