Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times

Advertisements

Hi,

How is the Woods Cove beach area? When I come out there in mid April, one of the homes I will be looking at is on PCH above Woods Cove. The address is actually a PCH address. So noise might be an issue with this one.

Another house we "were" going to look at has just gone into escrow.

Another house we will be looking at is in Monarch Beach. Another is in Laguna Niguel and couple more are in Laguna Beach. And then more if more come up for sale by then.

But does anyone know of the Woods Cove area? Is it a nice section? Is the beach nice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 04:34 PM

77 posts, read 632,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi,

How is the Woods Cove beach area? When I come out there in mid April, one of the homes I will be looking at is on PCH above Woods Cove. The address is actually a PCH address. So noise might be an issue with this one.

Another house we "were" going to look at has just gone into escrow.

Another house we will be looking at is in Monarch Beach. Another is in Laguna Niguel and couple more are in Laguna Beach. And then more if more come up for sale by then.

But does anyone know of the Woods Cove area? Is it a nice section? Is the beach nice?

Thanks!
Most homes there are older homes ,very nice area and within a walking distance to Victoria beach ,one of the most beautiful/uncrowded beaches in LB with the finest diving spots in whole Laguna .Another plus it's relatively located in south Laguna (closer to the highway).

just an advice here if you dont mind:Why don't you come and rent for few months b4 buying,I am saying this bcoz some beachfront/close to the beach areas in Laguna Beach have very narrow streets (I've always wondered how ppl living there manage to get their cars in/out of their garages ,or where do their guests park),also if u come here ,before you put an offer on a house go drive in the area in the evening or at night ,some areas have bad smell from the sewage/or the close by restaurants ,if the area has it then you cannot miss it at night just walk in the neighbourhood or drive with ur car's windows down.Hope that will help .

Old 03-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up regarding the sewage . I never lived where sewage was an issue so it never dawned on me to look for that. I didn't even know it was a problem there.
I can imagine with all the restaurants that there might be a odor (I didn't even think of that thou). If this house is to close to the restaurants then we wouldn't want it anyways (noise, congestion etc).
We might end up renting for a couple of months like you said. I am really going out there to look at homes in our price range and to see if they are something we would like. To find out if our beautiful ocean view home is a reality or a dream in our price range.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:51 PM

77 posts, read 632,428 times
It's not a major prob here ,there are few areas where u can smell it at night especially when it's hot (actually my hubby never been able to smell it ,but I do ),just thought to tell u .About the resturaunts,there was a case against one restaurant in which the neighbours sued the restaurant bcoz of the bad smell ,I think they've win the case ..it was in the news but I couldnt find any link to it .Just stay away from the restaurants ,lagoons ,the valley ,old homes with septic systems.And in LN stay away from the area close to the waste-water treatment facility on La Paz ,though it's really not an overwhelming smell or something ,I am just too sensitive to any bad smell.

One area u might wanna avoid in LB is this one (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/06/01/state/n082759D75.DTL - broken link)

Another advice :Check the soil condition report and grading record before buying ,there are few houses with unstable soil .

Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 PM

Thank You Jenali,
I am very sensitive to smells too. Like you, my husband rarely notices the smells like I do. I will avoid those areas.
I am kinda thinking now that Laguna Beach area might be out of the question for us. I just read they had a huge fire a while ago that destroyed 400 homes, now landslides and bad smells (LOL). Forget it!
We are even now looking at Newport Beach. So NPB, Laguna Niguel, maybe Monarch Beach/Dana Point. It's just to bad that prices went up so high in the last few years (well, bad for us but not for the sellers). We made out hugely when we sold our oceanfront home in Oxnard in late 2004 but it is sooooo hard to get back into California now.
What used to be able to buy us oceanfront in 2001 (money wise), now barely gets us a decent ocean view.
But I read what you wrote on another thread here saying you sold your home you bought 5 years ago and now you are buying a house with cash. That is also our situation. We are cash buyers too. The problem is we have expensive taste.
Anyways, Thanks for the great information!

Last edited by Roma; 03-29-2007 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
Roma,

I want to see a picture once you do buy

A hug for you,
L

Old 03-30-2007, 06:57 PM

Thanks Angle Bear,

I will definitely post pictures here! I will be so happy! I'm going in mid April to look at the homes and I know I will not want to come back to Texas. It will only be for a few days and I am going solo (husbands friend will be visiting, so I am letting the guys hang out). But I will make the best of it. Can't Wait!

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenali View Post
,,,,some areas have bad smell from the sewage/or the close by restaurants ,if the area has it then you cannot miss it at night,,
Just to clarify. The smell is from storm drains not sewage. Sewage is a closed system and rarely if ever causes problems in any neighborhood.

Storm drains were built to direct rain and water overflows directly to the beach without treatment. The systems were designed to have leaves and trash collected weekly out of the ground vault to prevent smells and vermin. Take a poll and I doubt you will find anyone that even can remember seeing a storm drain cleaned once in their life.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:18 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
Roma,

Enjoy your trip!!! Yay!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County