Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times

Advertisements

Been living here 20 years but never really got out lol.

Now I have a GF and we like to do stuff together so.....now I have someone to actually go with me lol. We don't really care much for shopping, eating out etc. We prefer things more a long the lines of entertainment. Also prefer cheap/free to do stuff.

We are 18, 21 so no bars,clubs etc.

We've already done Disneyland, knotts berry farm etc.

Any suggestions? Was thinking the beach but I haven't been there in like 5 years or so. I don't really know where to go.

Our location is around garden grove, ca area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM

44 posts, read 190,723 times
If you're going to the beach, I would recommend Huntington as the closest to you. If you feel like driving out a bit further North, I'd recommend Venice Beach. The boardwalk of shops alongside the beach would make an interesting day. Not just shops, but street performers, a world famous street basketball court and muscle beach. You can rollerblade or bike the entire boardwalk.

A few other ideas:
- Sports fan? Lakers, Clippers have a few games left this year. Angels and Dodgers season starts next week, I think.
- Outdoors type?: Go for a hike, mountain bike ride. This isn't really my deal, so I can't recommend a place.
- Have you gone to the Zoo, Sea World?
- Check out an ice skating or roller skating rink.
- Boomers in HB is one of my favs. Mini Golf, bumper boats, go carts, arcade. Not too pricey.
- Take a ferry ride out to Catalina Island and spend the day exploring an interesting little community.

Anyways, theres a few for you. There is tons to do in So Cal. You shouldn't have any problem keeping yourself entertained.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimehousehunter View Post
If you're going to the beach, I would recommend Huntington as the closest to you. If you feel like driving out a bit further North, I'd recommend Venice Beach. The boardwalk of shops alongside the beach would make an interesting day. Not just shops, but street performers, a world famous street basketball court and muscle beach. You can rollerblade or bike the entire boardwalk.

A few other ideas:
- Sports fan? Lakers, Clippers have a few games left this year. Angels and Dodgers season starts next week, I think.
- Outdoors type?: Go for a hike, mountain bike ride. This isn't really my deal, so I can't recommend a place.
- Have you gone to the Zoo, Sea World?
- Check out an ice skating or roller skating rink.
- Boomers in HB is one of my favs. Mini Golf, bumper boats, go carts, arcade. Not too pricey.
- Take a ferry ride out to Catalina Island and spend the day exploring an interesting little community.

Anyways, theres a few for you. There is tons to do in So Cal. You shouldn't have any problem keeping yourself entertained.
Hey those are good ideas. Thanks a lot.

Keep 'em coming guys I am bookmarking this thread lol

Old 04-04-2009, 10:54 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,437 times
I know H.B used to have a farmers market type thing set up on main st on the weekends as well as through the parking lot near the pier...not sure if they still have it set up like that or not...this was back in the fall of 07...basically they would set up tents and booths and have a bunch of different things...

H.B is an awesome place...you should find plenty to do there.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
so whats there to do in the OC?

You drive into Los Angeles!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:21 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Been living here 20 years but never really got out lol.

Now I have a GF and we like to do stuff together so.....now I have someone to actually go with me lol. We don't really care much for shopping, eating out etc. We prefer things more a long the lines of entertainment. Also prefer cheap/free to do stuff.

We are 18, 21 so no bars,clubs etc.

We've already done Disneyland, knotts berry farm etc.

Any suggestions? Was thinking the beach but I haven't been there in like 5 years or so. I don't really know where to go.

Our location is around garden grove, ca area.
Whats up killer, yea I would recommend Huntington beach too!! Any girl I knew I always took them to HB as there is so much to do! I went pleny of times alone just to look at the Ferrari's and big boats down the street.

I recommend lunch at hurricanes bar a grill on the deck outside! It's a great view while you stuff yourself..

Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
For the beach itself Huntington is nice, but one of the best beaches in CA is right next to it(Bolsa Chica State Beach).

Long Beach is another destination. All in the same area you have the Queen Mary(free to visit, but tours cost a few bucks. haunted tour is great), the Soviet Skorpion submarine, Shoreline Village, the Aquarium of the Pacific, GameWorks(arcade+bowling), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
so whats there to do in the OC?

You drive into Los Angeles!
So you can spend 9.75% on your tax? Sorry. No thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 07:51 AM

131 posts, read 533,405 times
Like the previous post - Long Beach is cool. Take a whale watching tour, a quick harbor boat tour.
  • Downtown Disney
  • Laguna Beach can be a fun place for the day. The beach area is neat for walks and lunch then you can go up to the top of the hills and watch the sunset. Nice place to ride bikes too.
  • It's almost summer so HB will have OP pro, Volleyball tournaments and more. A day at Manhattan Promenade can be fun (Not OC)
  • Venice Beach (Not OC)
  • Balboa Beach

It sucks because when I was your age there were plenty of free shows (Side by Side in HB), (Costa Mesa had a few)

Now I hear they are all 21 and up and suck... I may not know of them since I am now an old timer that turned 30 lol.

Look for concerts at Irvine Meadows, or whatever major Cell phone owns them now, and Pacific Amphitheatre. Great bands come play those places all the time.

Also the OC swap meet can be a waste of a day. Be sure to grab lunch at Taco Surf (Harbor Just south of Hamilton) while you are down that way. Best, cheap Tex-Mex Tacos around. I personally go to the Sunset Beach location more often. Still great tacos…

Have fun lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County