U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
miu

17,105 posts, read 34,558,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post
but if anyone has any sound advice on how he can get the police to get off his back, i'd like to know.
Without seeing a picture of him and his car (or other cars he's been pulled over in), or seeing how he drives, it's difficult to offer any really helpful advice. I guess one of you should try to make friends with a cop there and just ask him what is so interesting about his driving habits.

What kind of cars exactly do he and his family drive? Are you sure that there are bone stock and not modified or decorated in some way? Chrome rims, decals, custom lighting, lowered suspension... all those things would flag a cop patrolling in a conservative neighborhood.

If he's only been driving his car and his family's cars, maybe their last name is the same as some family that is a known troublemaker to the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:57 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,577,919 times
It's possible that this is just a case of bad luck. Maybe he should start driving different routes.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:45 PM

74 posts, read 160,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
You may have too think about it real hard, But their is a reason fo that.
racial profiling = low crime?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 AM

241 posts, read 819,410 times
seem right on it probably that the city or area not having majority or massive amount of mexicans or people from mexico unlike many other pretty local areas and cities around just a very small amount or percentage locally in that city. Might also be or seem and feel like some group activity when driving with your friend and dad that may be different from others who drive in like group in the area to the police perspective.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,282 times
My husband is hispanic and I have seen first hand that he gets pulled over for just the color of his skin. The cops in our area have learned the cars that we drive and every time we get a new car he gets pulled over and they just wantt to see if he has a licens when they see that he dose they let him go. It is rediculas that we have to deal with this racisum on a daily bacies its not fair. Cops just need to find a dognut store and leave dark people alone.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:29 PM

356 posts, read 633,378 times
Oh man, that post is asking for abuse, but I'm gonna leave it alone...argh the internal battle!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 PM

356 posts, read 633,378 times
You guys gotta keep in mind, this is California, and as far as racism goes, one of the best states in the country. Yes, still a ways to go, but go hang out another state for a while, you'll love California. Also keep in mind that there may be things you don't know about. For all you know, a crime was committed, and Hispanic was given as the ethnicity. Now if there really are very few Hispanics in HB, maybe they just pull over every one they see. Not sure if that's racist or not, but math certainly supports it.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 AM

4,909 posts, read 8,750,000 times
I lived in Huntington Beach for a little over 10 yrs and just recently moved out of state. Some part of HB does get more vigilant patrols by the HBPD. You mentioned that your friend got pulled over on PCH and that makes sense as the beach area is HB's prime real estate. Lots of young people and tourist dollars are tied in that real estae so the HBPD is doing high visibility patroling making sure the area is "safe". Another is the Sea Cliff area which is high end real estate (even for HB) and the HBPD will most likely find any excuse to stop any cars that "does not fit into local resident profiles". Another word, older, beat-up, rice racer cars, etc.

Those areas have less Hispanic population even compare to the rest of HB than say, along major streets such as Beach Blvd, Warner & Edinger Ave, etc. Some of those area have very high concentration of Hispanics, so if the HBPD are targeting the Hispanics, they would've have an army in those area day & night and would've drove ALL hispanics out of HB. So I highly doubt that the HBPD is targeting hispanics as you seem to be implying.

Is your friend being targeted because he's hispanic? We don't have any data from you to say he is or he is not. But it sounds like you both are young men that are driving in one of "high profile" roads that has more young people being attracted to coming down to the beach area. Judging from what you said to the PD about why you two were pulled over, I can also sense a bit of rebellious attitude from you (why did you pull us over? I have a right to know, etc.). Personally if I was pulled over, I'd be all smiling (hi there Officer, yes here are my driver lic, registration & insurance info), yes sir, no sir, and answer questions in the order asked. The LAST THING I want to do is to give the police officer any hint that I want to challenge his authority right there on the street. You're only making him more tense anticipating that he might have to tackle you down on the ground and handcuff you, or you may pull a gun out of somewhere and shoot him.

It is too bad that your friend has been pulled over for more than 10 times in HB, but I highly doubt that it is for no reasons. Circumstancial evidence would suggest that perhaps two young men with a bit of attitude is somehow drawing the attention of HBPD like flies drawn to...

Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 AM

31 posts, read 69,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedew View Post
oh man, that post is asking for abuse, but i'm gonna leave it alone...argh the internal battle!!!
lol

Old 10-29-2009, 04:20 PM

812 posts, read 2,071,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I wonder when I see threads like this. If HBPD pulled over every Mexican 10x each, they'd need a police department the size of the Chinese army. Something about your friend in particular is making the cops suspicious.
I was thinking the EXACT thing!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County