U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:50 PM

17,447 posts, read 23,872,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarmer002 View Post
another note re hb...

Hb is very cool, but keep in mind there are areas of hb that are essentially barrios..
Referring to Beach and Slater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 AM

114 posts, read 425,282 times
point is hb is like much of north oc. Older areas pocketed by depressed areas mixed with nice areas. I have had several friends living in apts off beach and (slater ish ) just south of the freeway... that have had shootings, stabbings in the alleys in the complex.

Point is, why even try to fit it in, there are alot cleaner and funner areas.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:52 AM

43 posts, read 206,542 times
I recommend east side Costa Mesa. Lived there for years and it had the best of both worlds. 3 miles to Newport Beach, without having to deal with the Peninsula traffic, close access to the 55, rent slightly cheaper, cooler neighborhood and lots of duplexes. You still get the beach weather, without all the vapidity. Lots of bars and restaurants you can walk to along Newport Blvd and 17th St. There is a cool vibe there... east of the 55, but south of Bristol. With that commute, you should be going opposite of traffic. And with 2,500-3,500 budget, you would be able to afford one of the many little houses with charm in that neighborhood.

Anyways, I do like LB too, but there is something about living in Orange County versus LA county. No offense, just a preference. Not to mention, I think Newport Beach and south of that are prettier looking, as far as beaches go.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:58 PM

16 posts, read 42,975 times
Thanks for the additional info, Cuatro, OC Investor2, majoun, dfarmer and shay. Very helpful.

I looked a little bit at Laguna Beach during my last visit since it was recommended by a colleague who apparently already makes the commute. Beautiful, but too far for me and I haven't even tried it during rush hour yet.

Not knowing anything about living in Orange County, Costa Mesa was my first thought before I found this site. I though it had a good balance of social life and available housing. However, I was influenced by the number of positive comments (NaplesRes, bhcompy, dfarmer, etc.) about Long Beach. It corresponds to what I've encountered during my recent visits to LA. People who choose to live in LB, love it there and are active cheerleaders for the area. It reminds me a little bit like the people who live in the now trendy areas of Williamsburg or Greenpoint areas of Brooklyn.

Heading out to LA next week. Hopefully, I'll find a good fit in LB. Even with the added distance, Newport Beach might be a better fit for me than Huntington Beach. We'll see. I'll start moving south along the shore if LB doesn't pan out.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSwan View Post
People who choose to live in LB, love it there and are active cheerleaders for the area.
This is very true. I've had many friends who lived in LB and loved it. In fact, at times, I thought there was a little bit of a clique factor going on with those who lived in LB and those who didn't.

Another thing to consider, if you are really looking for nice beaches though... LB probably wouldn't be the first choice. But the other amenities can make up for it. Out of the three, HB has the most expansive beaches, Newport nicer, and Laguna the prettiest.

Good luck with your move and search! Don't forget to let us know which one you go with.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:15 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,419,944 times
but from LB you're only a skip and jump away from Seal Beach, Sunset Beach/Surfside(great beaches with lower # of people/tourists than most), and Bolsa Chica(my fave)

Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
but from LB you're only a skip and jump away from Seal Beach, Sunset Beach/Surfside(great beaches with lower # of people/tourists than most), and Bolsa Chica(my fave)
This is true... I suppose it's whether or not you want to drive to a beach versus live within walking or biking distance.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 PM

916 posts, read 3,262,784 times
the best beaches in LB are the bays (ie alamitos bay). it is very nice with the view of naples mansions across the bay. the water is clean and it's very family friendly. But it's a locals beach which is why most don't think/know of it.

And if you want to go to Seal, you don't have to drive. It's a short, flat bike cruise (5 minutes) from Belmont Shore.

to the points about LB cheerleaders. LB is a big city and like all big cities has some poorer areas with problems. People from outside don't know the jewel that long beach is so sometimes we feel the need to cheerlead. I'm not from LB but live there now. One thing I've noticed is that people from LB typically stay. They may travel or try other places out, but they come back a lot. I think that says a lot about a place.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 PM

16 posts, read 42,975 times
shay, thanks for the good words and I definitely will keep everyone posted about the move and where I end up. All the comments have been extremely helpful. Extremely. I figure my eventual decisions will be helpful to others that are making a similar move, especially if I end up not choosing LB.

Too late bhcompy, I read the line about Bolsa Chica being your fav. Expect at least one more body to crowd your space there.

NaplesRes, you already had me at "I highly recommend" from your first response. Being able to bike to Seal is an example of why I am focusing on Long Beach/Belmont Shore first. It is less than a 30 minute commute to my new job in Buena Park (I assume), there are mass transit options to downtown LA for weekend excusions, it is close to the beach communities of HB, LB and Seal/Surfside. And now Bolsa Chica.

What I am going to really look at on my next visit (other than suitable rentals) is how comfortable I feel about the lifestyle and social options along 2nd Ave. Poorer areas of LB don't scare me off (yet). I assume I've hung around far worst areas in my life (Times Square in the early 80s before it became "Disneyfied", Harlem in the 80s, Downtown St. Louis and Memphis.). I prefer the variety. I can play the yuppie game pretty well, but life is boring to me if everyone looks/acts/thinks the same. Long Beach looks like it can have/will have different flavors.

I think the cheerleading about LB I've encountered on this site and in my recent visits to So Cal are a very positive sign and really says something. I am looking for a new home to set some roots and the sense of community vibe I am getting is very encouraging. I've personally experienced the "outside LB" opinions. They all lived in West LA and highly recommended it (e.g., W Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc.) but they "heard" that something postive was happening in Long Beach, but didn't know anything about it.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 AM

I don't think 2nd Ave is bad at all. Friends lived even farther back on Broadway and Cherry. It wasn't the best area, but I didn't feel bad walking at night as long as I was with someone else. Also, there's a great coffee shop around there called Portfolio, I think it's on Junipero. And very fun dive bars.

But with your budget, you won't need to go as far away from Ocean Blvd. Friends were only paying $1400 for a two bedroom (that was two years ago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County