Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 39,773 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided that Laguna Niguel, CA. is the city we want to move to however we are currently baffled by all the choices of sub-division developments and HOA's in the area. What's your opinion? Kite Hill Vs. Marina Hills, Laguna Crest vs. Laguna Ranch. They all appear to be close to the ocean and all claim to have the same scenic views, ocean breezes, good schools, and of course close to retail shopping. Commuting is not a factor and we are looking for the best value in home Sq. footage (4/5 bedrooms and3/4 Baths) with decent sized lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:24 PM

657 posts, read 1,594,615 times
my advice to you.. THOROUGHLY research any HOA before you put your name on any list or contract.. see if they'll let you attend a board meeting before making your decision... You need to figure out if the HOA is made up of citizens for the good of the community, or citizens ruling over their ideal community.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:42 PM

147 posts, read 565,887 times
Make sure your HOA is solvent, without many homes in arrears or foreclosures. Guess who will be paying if there are...

Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,398,010 times
Ladera Ranch isn't in Laguna Niguel nor very close to the close. Ladera Ranch is about four miles further inland than the most inland portion of Laguna Niguel. Ladera Ranch is a separate community east of Mission Viejo.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
There's another thread I started which sort of addresses the concerns of the original poster here. It didn't go too far.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orang...ello-roos.html

If it comes down to three or four neighborhoods, then I would recommend you speak directly which each HOA and get the specifics from each one. Put together a table and compare. And, perhaps you could share your information with the rest of us, maybe on the thread above. Thanks

Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,398,010 times
You need to contact each individual HOA or a realtor to figure out prices for that type of stuff.

With regards to feel, that is something you need to determine. I like the older and more established communities and the mix of architecture with brick, rock, and tudor styles in Kite Hill. However it does attend Crown Valley Elementary which is an average middle of the pack (6/10 rank) school. It is better than the other neighborhoods when it attends middle school (Aliso Viejo Middle) than the others which attends Niguel Hills then, but the other two neighborhoods have better elementary. Its honestly all up to you and what you look for out of a neighborhood. My sister in law lived in Marina Hill and liked it. Its a newer community that is very masterplanned and broken up into multiple subdivisions. I don't think you will find lot of big lots though. My sister in laws backyard only was about 10 feet from the house to back fence. Kite Hill has pretty big lots by So Cal standards. Don't know much about Laguna Crest.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks so much for everyone's input espically Missionhome. We will check the HOA's for the development we are serious in. We are leaning towards Kite Hill. It is a very stable development with little movement which is good, that means people are happy there and that keeps the HOA dues stable. We did notice that some other HOA's in other developments have gone up over $100 dollars per month due to either foreclosures or vacancy's.

As far as schools go, our children are in High School now so the high school they would attend is more important than the elementary school at this point & Aliso Viejo High School is ranked a 9/10 which is the one I believe they would attend if we purchased in Kite Hill.

Thanks once again for everyone's input & if we get any more info we will link it to the other thread.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Moved in and made the right choice.

We purchased and took possession of our new home in Kite Hill (North) in Sept. 09. After only one month we feel we made the right choice. Neighbors are friendly but not too nosy and the scenic views are spectacular. The HOA dues are reasonable so are the property taxes and overall cost of living is good as long as you have a sizeable down payment.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:59 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydlr View Post
We purchased and took possession of our new home in Kite Hill (North) in Sept. 09. After only one month we feel we made the right choice. Neighbors are friendly but not too nosy and the scenic views are spectacular. The HOA dues are reasonable so are the property taxes and overall cost of living is good as long as you have a sizeable down payment.
What I'd like to see (and I indicated on my thread above) is a table of HOA fees and what you get for them. HOA fees vary from around $50 with basically community area landscaping to over $200 for landscaping and community amenities like pools and club houses. However, there might be HOAs pushing the $200/month range that don't include too many amenities.

Fortuneatly, when looking for a home, a person's parameters (for example 5 BR, tight price range, Z car garage, lot size at least X sqft, schools in top Y%, etc) limit them to a handful of homes. And, redfin provides HOA fees but redfin doesn't always include the included amenities.

So, for the sake of adding another data point to our table, what is your HOA fee and what does it include?

Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydlr View Post
We purchased and took possession of our new home in Kite Hill (North) in Sept. 09.
Do you know why they call it Kite Hill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County