U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 AM

44 posts, read 156,263 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some info on the Ladera Ranch site? I am looking at a condo there and wondered if the walls have noise/insulation so that there are not any noise issues? What about the rules? Are they really tight so that you can't do a darn thing or can you have a life without getting a notice all the time? Reason I ask is that I was in a complex where the walls were paper thin. You could hear the 2 day old baby next door. Horrible. Same complex wrote me up for my daughter parking her car in front of my place for 15 minutes. I am not kidding... 15 minutes! I love the looks of Ladera and really hope I get some good info. One more thing. What are the utility costs, etc on a 1600 sqft appx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 11:45 AM

14 posts, read 64,197 times
We lived in a condo in Sycamore Grove (1400 sq feet) in Ladera for 9 months while looking for a home in Ladera. The walls are well insulated; I rarely heard my neighbors. We haven't had any problems with parking enforcement, and we've had to double-park for short periods of time and I've noticed my neighbors doing the same without problems. In my opinion, a lot depends on your neighbors and their tolerance level. Our next door neighbors have high school kids that tend to throw a party whenever mom is away. It doesn't bother us but I've heard other neighbors complain to the association. Our utility bills are pretty low--we average under $50 per month per bill. The most expensive bill is the cable. One big bill that a condo owner in Ladera has to pay is two HOA bills...the normal Ladera HOA (around 160) and the one for the condo HOA (which ranges from the mid 100s to the mid 200s depending on the association). Hope this helps!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:01 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,699,989 times
In Ladera, you'll live on top of eachother. In Fall 2008, my friend spent $375K on a 1300 square foot townhome condo which is 3 stories, so you can imagine how small each level is... Basically the size of a 2 car garage. Her patio directly faces her neighbor's patio, and if their window shades are open, they look right into their neighbors' windows. I guess as long as you keep the shades drawn and windows closed all the time, you'll be allright. But I can't imagine why anyone would choose this for that price!

Last edited by cabolissa; 05-04-2009 at 01:37 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM

17 posts, read 82,395 times
I cannot remark specifically on the condos in Ladera Ranch, but I can speak to the town's wonderful vibe. I lived there for 3 years but had to move because my husband was transferred to back east for work. We hope to move back some day. It is such a great community. The people are friendly, the homes are so beautiful, the parks and ameneties are super, and the whole town was organized and laid out in a way that makes sense for families. We have visited many times since moving and are so impressed with all the shopping and dining choices that have gone into the town since we left. It really is a special place and we have yet to find anything like it through our travels and experiences living elsewhere.

We found the HOAs to be VERY reasonable for what you get, but I'm wondering if the condo HOAs are much pricier? I've heard they are. I've also heard the gated portion of Ladera has higher fees. We lived in Avendale and LOVED it.

Not sure what your price range is, but housing prices are going way down. We've comped some homes in villages we love and are chocked at what they are going for now (compared to 2005). Perhaps your budget would allow for a SFR purchase due to the depreciating values of the homes there. I know we hope to "take advantage" of this in a few years.

Anyways, good luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM

In this area, even the homes look like condos, no yards and right on top of each other! Unless you want to pay over $1M, you'll be able to reach over your balcony and touch your neighbor's house. It's true the amenities are nice, but they'll cost you $350/mo and are scheduled to rise again this year.
Look at this listing:
For Sale: $549,999 3 beds, 2.5 baths, 2,000 sq ft
Photos for 24 Clematis St, Ladera Ranch, CA 92694 - Zillow

In my opinion, you can purchase a nearby home (Wagon Wheel, for example) for a lost less, and still have the same shopping as Ladera.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:15 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,817,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsearlylight View Post

We found the HOAs to be VERY reasonable for what you get,
The HOAs are around $160-$200/month for SFR. Pretty significant especially when considering the other costs (Mello Roos, taxes) besides principle and interest. Think there might be a 1% of sales price initiation fee too.

7 Flintridge Ave, Ladera Ranch, CA 92694 | MLS# S571151 $200/month as an example here

Looking for realistic discussion of the use of these amenities.

I realize that pays for the upkeep of the community - that is important - property values are kept up.

But what about the true amenities? How often are most people using the pools/water park outside of the warm summer days? The tennis courts? Are they the same 35 people out of the 23000 (or whatever number) that live there?

What else is there? $200/month seems like a lot of money for things many people (even with kids) might use, what, once or twice a month outside of summer? Am I way off on this??? It seems so many kids (like mine) are involved in extracurricular activities that wouldn't be part of an HOA amenity anyway; things like soccer leagues, after school clubs (robotics, french, technology), gymnastics, scouting, etc. The rest of the time they are either goofing off with the neighborhood kids or doing homework.

Would neighbors be more likely to exaggerate by saying "We always use those things" OR "We never use those things"?

Taking this one step further, there is at least one other "comparable" neighborhood (forgot the name) in RSM that has a much lower HOA, like $50/month. Couldn't a person living there use community amenities, al a carte, like paying a day use fee in summer or even use a YMCA or something like that? What are thoughts on that?

A person buying into a $200/month HOA would have to be really sure they were getting their money's worth. I'm wondering if a lot of people never use those amenities.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM

916 posts, read 3,263,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
In this area, even the homes look like condos, no yards and right on top of each other! Unless you want to pay over $1M, you'll be able to reach over your balcony and touch your neighbor's house. It's true the amenities are nice, but they'll cost you $350/mo and are scheduled to rise again this year.
Look at this listing:

In my opinion, you can purchase a nearby home (Wagon Wheel, for example) for a lost less, and still have the same shopping as Ladera.
I love how sterile this place is. Everybody even has the same tree in front of their house!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM

17 posts, read 82,395 times
When we lived in Ladera we used the amenities ALL THE TIME. The pools were great and we had many to choose from. The tennis courts were nice as well. The MANY parks in town were all different and had different play structures for the kids... so many to choose from. There are many walking trails around the neighborhoods, all were manicured and kept clean of debris. Very picturesque. The clubhouses were also available for rent and was a nice option to have available if you were throwing a party or nice gathering (we never used them but went to them several times for community events). The concerts in the park were so fun in the summer and all the fairs and festivals throughout the year were nice as well. The 4th of July event was ALWAYS wonderful.

This all said, I can definitely see why one would not think this was worth $200/month, especially in times like these! And then add Mello Roos and you're paying lots of extras. There's something about Ladera though that felt so nice when we were living there. There is a real sense of community and togetherness. I'm sure there are people who would disagree, but this is how we felt.

Housing values have really been hammered in this town though. We've been watching the comps and reading up on the market there and I don't think they've bottomed out. Makes me wonder how much lower it will go.....

Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 AM

574 posts, read 2,272,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Look at this listing:

Hi there cabolissa! You saved me a lot of time as I started to look at this forum as a "what if..." Our 1/4 acre, 3,700 sq. ft. with over half of our neighbors from CA is just fine... This is home now

Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
Hi there cabolissa! You saved me a lot of time as I started to look at this forum as a "what if..." Our 1/4 acre, 3,700 sq. ft. with over half of our neighbors from CA is just fine... This is home now
I'd so stay where you are!!! I can't afford SR but am pretty darn happy with my home in Riverwalk Hutto, 78634 (2300+ sq ft, $160K)!!!

I'll be able to afford more vacations and live much more comfortably with money in the bank!

Last edited by cabolissa; 05-05-2009 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County