U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 AM

1 posts, read 12,106 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 22 year old single guy (and physics geek). Come mid-summer, I will be moving from central Pennsylvania to the Irvine area (Irvine/Newport/Costa Mesa - ish) for grad school at UCI. I am excited for the move, but a bit nervous. It's difficult to judge apartments from websites, but I can't help but get overly excited and begin the search (not much to do around here with all of the farms). Ultimately, I will have to spend a week or so searching for apartments searching when I arrive.

Several of the apartments my future roommate and I are interested in are owned by "the Irvine Company." I have read many bad reviews about these apartment communities and their management (mostly about really thin walls, bugs, maintenance issues, and management problems such as ignoring tenant complaints dealing with parking and constantly loud neighbors). I am wondering if only unhappy people are writing reviews, or if there are simply no happy people living in these apartments.

Would you personally recommend an Irvine-Co-owned apartment? What is the general opinion of these Irvine-Company-owned apartment communities? Can a blanket statement be made about all of them, or are they best viewed on an individual basis? Are these unhappy reviews written by tenants that didn't pay rent on time? Etc.?

Currently, I am living in an efficiency in the downtown of a college town (Penn State), it's moderately noisy 24/7, and by no means a perfect apartment, but I find myself content with the place. I don't consider myself to be a picky person, but the number of bad reviews I've read about Irvine-Co-owned apartments are definitely concerning.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:14 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,187,604 times
My wife & I lived in an IAC (Irvine Apartment Communities) complex the first year of our marriage & liked it just fine. It was much nicer then the place I lived in back east and had alot of amenities. No issues w/ noise, neighbors or the land lord. We lived in a 2 bdrm place & most of our neighbors were families or other young couples & we always paid our rent on time, which tends to cut down on the landlord issues.

If you do end up living in an apartment in Irvine it will most likely be an IAC property. I think there are only like 1 or 2 aprtment communities here that they do not own. The only other rental option in Irvine would be privately owned condos/townhouses. I would reccomend you rent on the north/east side of the 405. My impression is the apartments in university park (east/south of the 405 closer to UCI) is overrun with college kids which probably drives alot of the noise complaints. You could rent a little further away & gain alot of peace & quiet while still being close enough to the campus and the student life there.

Other rental options include costa mesa, a bit younger and grittier then Irvine which lays just north of Irvine. Lake Forrest, Aliso Viejo & Laguna Hills to the south would be more affordable but are more family centered bedroom communities I would imagine that a grad student may find quite dull. If you have money look into Newport or Laguna Beach.

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 11,674 times
Stay away from any complex owned by The Irvine Company. It will cost you an Arm and Leg Just to move out. We completed our lease (never late), kept the place in great shape, even left them our deposit and moved out. 1 month later they send us a bill for $1000! ($400 to paint a wall.... ONE WALL, $100 for misc repairs???? Apt was in perfect condition) and the silly charge keep going. Funny way to reward a good, responsible tenant...donít you think. I have called and argued their extortion techniques and have only got Corporate Policy Based Answers...in other words B.S. They are now threatening to go to collections because we refuse to GIVE them our hard earned money just because they DEMAND it! WE are taking them to court just to make a point based on principal. This Company is everything that is wrong with this country. Stay Away From Irvine Company.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 AM

8,138 posts, read 10,180,110 times
Sorry dbm2000 but you are going to lose, it's unfortunate but in OC, IAC wins.

I have heard stories like the above numerous times and experienced it myself living at Promontory Point in Newport Beach (1 stain in the carpet = replace it all). IAC has clean places, and provide a decent living experience, but do not mess with IAC legally, they will get their money. Basically, if you rent from IAC, get ready to lose your entire "deposit" when you leave. If you have pets, you will definitely lose that "deposit".

They are a predatory monopoly, who own OC.

Stay away, IF you can!

Last edited by Mach50; 06-29-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 16,745 times
I lived in a Rental-Living community, I don't know if it's an IAC community. It was Villa Coronado off of Jamboree on the 405. I thought it was great there. Great amenities, almost no problems with the landlord and neighbors. The walls were definitely thin, and there were definitely multiples times where I could hear the neighbors screaming at each other or playing their music too loud. But it wasn't something that happened often Since Irvine I've moved to North Orange County and I definitely prefer Irvine much better, even with the occasional screaming neighbors and loud music. When I got my deposit back, only about 300 was taken out from the original deposit for cleaning. I was surprised. I had some carpet damage from my cats (but I also didn't say tell them I had pets) and drilled a hole in the wall to mount my TV. Not to mention the extensive damage that my roommate had done to the apartment, plus I don't think he ever cleaned his bathroom the entire year we lived there, not to mention his pigsty of a room. Parking was sometimes a bit of trouble, but not as bad as some other complexes I've seen. I've almost gotten towed from another Irvine Company apartment, but there was never a huge problem at the one I lived in. We got a garage and a pass to park in a resident spot (which wasn't assigned). If we couldn't find a spot, parking in the plaza across the street wasn't that big of a deal.

I would definitely go back to Irvine if I could afford it again. Loved it there.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 PM

292 posts, read 1,105,679 times
Turtle Ridge Apartment Homes, it's .5 miles from UCI. Amazing apartment complex, clean, safe, nice pool scene, friendly people. I just didn't like living over by UCI sort of boring, so I moved. but if you want to live in that area, that is the best apartment complex around, next to Newport Bluffs- which is a lot more expensive.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,357,225 times
avoid ic apartments. Yet they have people lining up around the block to rent from them. Idiots.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,004,666 times
All I know about them is that they are extremely expensive in every way possible. And when it's time to renew your lease, expect a hefty rent increase. I would try to rent from a private owner of a condo instead. I did that in San Clemente and had a very good experience with it. Would you mind sharing your budget?

Old 07-04-2009, 01:59 PM

115 posts, read 543,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
They are a predatory monopoly, who own OC.
this is literally true, the irvine company (the company that owns the irvine apt co.) owns most of irvine and a lot of orange county. who do you think the courts are going to side with.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 10,578 times
do not rent from them. the walls VERY THIN. complaints to management, nothing get resolves. they have sex at least 3 times a week and their bed squeaks and pounds loudly at 2am. i am sleep deprived and it has affected my health. i uploaded how loud they are at 2am on you tube. i hope the link works. its louder but my camera cant pick up the noise well. im going to document everything bc you can hear everything!
YouTube - APTNOISE's Channel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County