Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 AM

101 posts, read 283,467 times

Advertisements

I know there are smaller ones, but I am wondering if anyone knows if there are larger (like, approaching mega sized churches... besides the crystal cathedral) that are gay friendly.

i ask not because i am gay, but because i cant stomach going to a church that ostracizes any groups for any reason and thats a huge area of bigotry in most oc churches.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:15 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
I know there are smaller ones, but I am wondering if anyone knows if there are larger (like, approaching mega sized churches... besides the crystal cathedral) that are gay friendly.

i ask not because i am gay, but because i cant stomach going to a church that ostracizes any groups for any reason and thats a huge area of bigotry in most oc churches.

thanks
It's not limited to the OC.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:45 PM

for sure, but its where i live so its where i'm looking

Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 PM

166 posts, read 380,352 times
Don't know of any area churches but I wanted to say that I understad your view. Was only a few years ago when I was organizing a childrens church group, which was to welcome the community for participation, and an associate pastor told me not to include a specific church because their pastor was "gay" (** throat clearing **). The program was for 4-6 year olds. I didn't last for much longer at that church.

There will be a church out there where you are comfortable, just keep looking.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
While not a megachurch, I did see a Unitarian church in Anaheim the other day on Harbor(near Anaheim Ice). Definitely a very progressive church

Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM

I probably should have been more specific in asking for what would probably be a more liberal christian church....

I was looking at Mariners and considering a visit (after all, they just started using the NIV 2011) but when I read some reviews elsewhere it was revealed that they fired one of their worship leaders for coming out gay. Not the kind of church I am looking for.

Its sad. It really shouldnt be this difficult!

Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post

thanks
i doubt you will find many churches similar to Crystal Cathedral than welcome gays. For whatever reason, throghout the country mega churches seem to be very fundamentalish, thus they may not be gay friendly. I would consentrate on Unitarian, Episcopal and the United Lutheran for gay friendly. The Episcopla churches (many of them anyway) are very liberal. Of course OC is still OC.

Nita

Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Those megachurch sideshows have to play to their audience in OC, and OC isn't exactly a hotbed of acceptance when it comes to the gays.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Do you have to go to a megachurch? It would be easier to go to a smaller, gay-friendly church, wouldn't it? We liked St. George's in Laguna Hills, which had a couple of gay pastors while we were there.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Do you have to go to a megachurch? It would be easier to go to a smaller, gay-friendly church, wouldn't it? We liked St. George's in Laguna Hills, which had a couple of gay pastors while we were there.
I would think smaller churches that are usually very friendly would be the most accepting and comfortable.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County