Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times

Advertisements

The only problem with building a pool, as I see it, when you go to sell, many potential buyers may be turned off by the pool - liability, up-keep etc. There's a possibility of losing a sale, especially to a family with small children. Do you have teenagers? Be prepared to be the local hang-out all summer long !! Either way, let us know what you decide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We use our pool hundreds of times each year.
Sounds like for you it is worth it. That's like two out of three days a year, all year. You are probably three standard deviations from the mean.

I'd bet 95% of backyard pools are used less than five hours a month.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Sounds like for you it is worth it. That's like two out of three days a year, all year. You are probably three standard deviations from the mean.

I'd bet 95% of backyard pools are used less than five hours a month.

Our pool gets used three to five times a day in the summer once school is out. We keep it open from April through November (close it the day after thanksgiving. IN the spring it gets less use. It gets quite a bit of use during the fall but not as much as summer. Fall maybe once a day and twice on weekends. Lately my daughter has started waking me up at 5 a.m. each day to swim for 20 minutes before school. I am looking forward to school getting out.

We have five kids and we want to be the neighborhood hang out. That way we know what they are doing, who they are ahnging with and in bits and pieces what they atre talking about.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Our pool gets used three to five times a day in the summer once school is out. We keep it open from April through November (close it the day after thanksgiving. IN the spring it gets less use. It gets quite a bit of use during the fall but not as much as summer. Fall maybe once a day and twice on weekends. Lately my daughter has started waking me up at 5 a.m. each day to swim for 20 minutes before school. I am looking forward to school getting out.

We have five kids and we want to be the neighborhood hang out. That way we know what they are doing, who they are ahnging with and in bits and pieces what they atre talking about.
I couldn't agree with you more! The pool does sit at our house from November to late April due to us not wanting to heat it (its expensive!). We use the spa through the cold season though, 1-3 times per week. We heat the pool for the school breaks also.

From late April to about late October/early November, the pool stays warm enough to be used without heating. Its been great the last few weeks, and the kids swim after a long day at school. I love swimming myself, so I use it at least once per day as well. I couldn't agree more about the kids having their friends come over to use the pool. With an 18 year old boy, 16 year old boy, and 14 year old girl in this day and age, I want to see all their friends and know who they spend time with at school. I'm glad to have their friends come here and they are pretty nice kids.

I think a pool means different things to different people and it depends on the situation and whether you really think you will be an active swimmer, even after kids. After our neighbor's baby died in their pool (I know some of you saw my post on that), I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the longrun when my kids have children of their own to cover the pool. I'm very aware of its danger after the horror that happend next door.

Also, with regard to value, it depends. Some people won't buy a house with a pool, and some people won't buy a house without one. For our house, about 75% of the neighborhood homes have pools and those without one are usually selling for $100k less. On my street for example, 8 of the 10 homes have a pool.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Lately my daughter has started waking me up at 5 a.m. each day to swim for 20 minutes before school.
Amazing; This sounds so unusual...I don't know what to write.

I wonder how many school age kids are interested in swimming in a backyard pool at 5 AM before school. I assume this isn't a lap sized pool and we're not talking about working out for a swim team - something that normally involves a 25 yard minimum length.

Now, I have four kids myself, and I probably would use a pool a lot more than than the average person too. If we ever move again and a pool was part of a house I wouldn't reject it (but I would have every safety device on it known to man.)

Old 05-20-2009, 12:12 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Let's see, at $100,000 and three one hour swims per week and four months of use per year and average residence of seven years, and you might get 20% of your investment back when you sell the house if you are lucky...

...that's about $238 per swim.

Stick the $100K in an S&P 500 index fund and forget about it and take your kids to the community pool where there are 50 other kids.

If the OP is serious I totally agree with Charles. Not to bash what you want to do with your life and your money but as a self employed business man who makes rounds to peoples homes I have noticed that the pool is hardly ever used, and that in fact, the owners pay money year around for up keep to the pool guy.

If you want to swim and get real use out of a pool I would sign up at LA fitness.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduckmoore View Post
A pool DIY?! Are you kidding me. There are lots of work and many procedures. How much can you save from DIY?
He's not suggesting you DIY. He's suggesting you act as the project manager and not actually do the work yourself.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Amazing; This sounds so unusual...I don't know what to write.

I wonder how many school age kids are interested in swimming in a backyard pool at 5 AM before school. I assume this isn't a lap sized pool and we're not talking about working out for a swim team - something that normally involves a 25 yard minimum length.

Now, I have four kids myself, and I probably would use a pool a lot more than than the average person too. If we ever move again and a pool was part of a house I wouldn't reject it (but I would have every safety device on it known to man.)
Our pool is 40 feet long so you can swim mini laps. She just wanted to start getting some exercise and since she has to leave for Madrigals (a choir thing) at 6 a.m. she gets up to swim in the morning before school. It is just like going for a run or something, but she likes to swim. It is good for me too becuase my knees are messed up and I cannot run anymore.

We tried all the varoius safety devices and alarms. they are really a pain in the seat and we ended up getting rid of them. We have a simple rule. No one enters the pool room alone. Not even dad. Everyone follows that rule because violations result in a week of no pool privileges. We figure that with two people there, there is usually someone to go gt help if something happens. This rule is why my daughter gets me up at 5 a.m. to swim with her. She cannot swim alone and no one else would even consider getting up at that ungodly hour. 5 am. is a time to go to bed sometimes, but should never be a time to get out of bed.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
He's not suggesting you DIY. He's suggesting you act as the project manager and not actually do the work yourself.

One problem that you encounter is that all of the subcontractors give priority to the pool companies becuase they are a source of repeat busienss. You are a one shot customer. Thus, if they get an assignment from a pool company, they will leave your project and run off to please their regular customer.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:11 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
to do any kind of serious swimming you need at least 25m length otherwise it is just too small. Most homes have 10m pools which is more like an oversized bathtub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County