U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:48 AM

169 posts, read 333,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
Racism is rampant here...everyone hates the "mexicans" even though this was technically their land and we stole it from them, asians are tolerated because they are viewed as weaker...OC republicans (about 95%) hate immigrants, unless you are good looking (it's all about looks here), and you'd be hard pressed to find any blacks in OC. Basically, you should only move here if you are into self-righteous, self-centered, and socially exclusive groups of very pale people who like to get tans in salons only :-)
Ahhh, I'm revisiting one of my concerns in sending my "into multiculturalism" son to Chapman. I warned him about the political views of the permanent Orange residents, but I wonder if the Chapman student body will be reflective of the locals or more reflective of the student millenial generation. Although we're "anglo"-ish, he has "low tolerance of people who have low tolerance" (don't ask me how that works!). So I'm going to try to assist him in assimilating - somehow. Will he survive or thrive, that is the question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,057 times
Default Looking for an Australian Realtor in Orange County...

G'day fellow Australians...

...If you are planning on moving to Orange County and need information on Real Estate-where to move to, Schools and general information about Orange County, please contact me directly to help you! I am a Realtor specializing in all of Orange County based in Newport Beach. Contact me at Catrina@CatrinaRE.com

Looking forward to helping you in Orange County...

Catrina Catalano
REALTOR®, DRE#: 01376081
Prudential California Realty
1400 Newport Center Drive, #200
Newport Beach, CA 92660
cell: 949.233.9611, fax: 949.612.0238

Email: Catrina@CatrinaRE.com

My Website: http://www.catrinare.com
View my Newsletter: http://www.clientdirect.net/news/?Pub=34377

Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 AM

241 posts, read 231,461 times
You'll be fine here. Sure, there are many conservatives, but there are liberal-minded people living here, too. Many transplants from all over the country and world live here. I'm liberal (well, left libertarian ie out there) and I'm here, and many of my friends are of all different viewpoints. It's changed a bit here since I moved here in the early 90s due to the many transplants. I don't see much racism, but then again, I don't hang out with people like that. I live in south OC, but am also considering a move to Old Towne Orange, as it's close to my husband's work.

Old Towne is great..I went to school at Chapman and the area is lovely. Quaint, artsy, very walkable and much more down-to-earth than south OC. Sure, Laguna is also very nice, but forget about buying a house there. Anything decent will cost well over $1 million. DH and I rented a little apartment there for quite some time, but we have kids and the rent on the homes was too much for us.

And investor, don't worry about Chapman. I went there in the early 90s, and I had no trouble (and I am out there with my views as far as OC goes)...many people of all types go there. The only issue was the cost, but we made it happen. It's a good school and it has grown a lot since I went there.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 PM

32,533 posts, read 30,477,516 times
I'd just like to chime in here...

Claremont is lovely but, oh my, the smog! I always considered it worse there than other parts of So Cal. (Though I'm pretty sure someone is out there shaking their head right now. )

Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 PM

251 posts, read 463,827 times
the commute from claremont to orange could be killer (especially on fridays)....Better to live close to work

Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM

11 posts, read 48,900 times
One person represents the whole O.C. very interesting
Quote:
Racism is rampant here...everyone hates the "mexicans" even though this was technically their land and we stole it from them, asians are tolerated because they are viewed as weaker...OC republicans (about 95%) hate immigrants, unless you are good looking (it's all about looks here), and you'd be hard pressed to find any blacks in OC. Basically, you should only move here if you are into self-righteous, self-centered, and socially exclusive groups of very pale people who like to get tans in salons only :-) I've been here 20 years...I am one of the few who does NOT wear an artificial mask trying to hide who I am...not online or in real life, you wouldn't recognize the people on here posting if you met them in real life because who they are deep down (you can see here) and who they are in person (fake smiles) are very different. Just a heads up

Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,615,977 times
Quote:
Racism is rampant here...everyone hates the "mexicans" even though this was technically their land and we stole it from them
No we didn't, the Mexican government was paid 28 million dollars (in 1849 dollars) in gold.

As far as "their land" goes, who did they steal it from? Hmmmm?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:33 PM

26,333 posts, read 62,499,114 times
Quote:
Racism is rampant here...everyone hates the "mexicans" even though this was technically their land and we stole it from them,

I never understood this assertion.

The Mexicans took California from (I think it was the French) whomever it was took it from the current group of Indians. The current group of Indians took it prom a different group of Indians who were all wiped out.

So, if we were to give California back tothe "Mexicans" woudl they then give it back to the Indans who would give it back to the people that they killed to take it? In that case, it would belong to no one and the current possessors of the land could just take it.

So we need do nothing. It is where it would end up anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County