U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 30,221 times

Advertisements

As we are preparing for a move to California...Southern OC area...we have a 19' inboard/outboard boat that we use for relaxing and wakeboarding. We are wondering if there are any areas around that we will still be able to use our boat or if we should sell before we make the move. Are we crazy to bring it with us??

Thank you in advance for your time and replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 PM

124 posts, read 423,917 times
Whether or not its worth it bring it with you depends on how far away you're moving from and how much extra you'll pay to move it.

I don't know about lakes, but you're close to the ocean, lots of boating opportunities there.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 30,221 times
We are moving from MN and we are checking into the costs associated...we would be bummed to sell as it is less than a year old. Being new to CA a 19' boat in the ocean just sounds....too small. Or are the bay areas more calm?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM

301 posts, read 1,343,793 times
Lake Elsinore, Lake Perris, Salton Sea, Havasu are probably the most common but they aren't in OC.

There are manmade 'lakes' in OC, but they are for fishing and pedal boats.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,661,426 times
Irvine Lake, 750 acres.

Irvine Lake - Fishing and Camping in Orange County, Southern California (http://irvinelake.net/irv/viewtopic.php?t=91 - broken link)

Old 04-27-2009, 03:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,711,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENJS View Post
As we are preparing for a move to California...Southern OC area...we have a 19' inboard/outboard boat that we use for relaxing and wakeboarding. We are wondering if there are any areas around that we will still be able to use our boat or if we should sell before we make the move. Are we crazy to bring it with us??

Thank you in advance for your time and replies!
There's quite a thing out here about "going to the river" (CO river I believe) or out to one of the large lakes mentioned by others for boating/ water skiing/ wake boarding/ drinking, etc. Alot people do it frequently, sort of like people on the east coast having a "shore house" they go to during the summer weekends.

None of the places are in OC, but you can easily get to them in 3-6 hours for a weekend of fun. While they may be further away, the upside for you is I think you can use the boat in these areas 12 months a year, unlike MN. So you may have more opportuntiy to go boating, just have to drive further to get to the water.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:47 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,661,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENJS View Post
We are moving from MN and we are checking into the costs associated...we would be bummed to sell as it is less than a year old. Being new to CA a 19' boat in the ocean just sounds....too small. Or are the bay areas more calm?
I used to take my 17 footer out of Dana Point Harbor all the time. No big deal.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 PM

26,415 posts, read 62,641,511 times
Irvine lake is a fishing lake (no wake). Elisinore and Perris are both pretty shallow, small and not very clear (some would say dirty). I am not sure what is in it, but the water is not very clear. I am not sure whether either allows high speed boating, but you have to watch out for shallow spots. I have only been fishing and diving on these lakes and simply cannot remember if they allow high speed watersports. The River is your best place for skiing and boarding, It is marvelous for that but a very long drive. (several hours). There are moutnain lakes (big Bear and Arrowhead) within a couple of hours, but they may be no wake as well. I have not been in a boat up there in years and cannot remember. You can use your boat in the ocean, but it is often too rough for any skiing or boarding, however they do have or used to have a ski race from Long Beach to Catalina Island. I would not take a 17 out that far though. It is up to you.

Remember, the salt water will cause your boat to decay quickly.

If you are lucky, you will be able to find someone with a house or trailer at the river and use their place, maybe even keep your boat there in exchange for letting them use your boat.

Bigger lakes are within a days drive, but it is a long drive Havasau (Arizona) is nice as is lake meade (Nevada?).

There is no where in OC that you can ski locally except the ocean.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,421,399 times
I believe you can wakeboard and such on Pyramid Lake or Castaic Lake(both in/near Castaic, CA north of LA).

Most people go to Elsinore(friend jetskis there), the river(CO), or in the ocean.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,270,579 times
Another weekend lake you can go to is Lake Isabella near Bakersfield. I know many people have boats here in Orange County. They just take them out for weekend getaways.

We do our yearly boat trip (we rent though) at Lake San Antonio, just west of Paso Robles, CA. It is a beautiful large lake and doesn't get very crowded. Lake Nacimiento is adjacent. It is roughly 6 hours away though.

Pyramid Lake allows speed boats too like bhcompy said, as well as the lake in the Insland Empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County