Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:38 PM

15 posts, read 55,521 times

Advertisements

I've been researching places in Northern Cal down thru LA, OC, and San Diego - I will be moving from Alpharetta, GA (suburb of Atlanta). I've tried to take most things into consideration; COL, housing, access to beach, weather, job opportunities, etc. Each week (or day?) I seem to find a community that's more appealing to me for a variety of reasons. A few months ago it was Silicon Valley, but recently I've fallen in love with the coast and have now considered parts of LA, OC, and San Diego while trying to also consider other key elements. Last week Anaheim Hills was the community that I fell in love with, now it's Laguna Niguel (partly because of beach access).

I am 50 yrs old with 3 kids, 2 willl be away at college leaving me with my wife and my 11 year old daughter. I plan on renting anywhere I end up (at least at first) and I am a CFO (recently independent, but not opposed to working for a company again) for mostly early stage, growth companies with a fair amount of concentration in telecom and tech. I will probably want to rent a 4BR, 3 Bath home. I expect to pay ~ $3,500/mth

I'm trying to find out 3 key things:
1) What are thoughts about Laguna Niguel - people, COL, weather, access to business centers (i.e. Irvine) and of course, the pluses and minuses,

2) How is Irvine as a business hub? Active, dead, opportunities, etc.? I know it's hard at present as most areas of Cal and the US are depressed as it relates to business activity, but if there's any way to look at it w/o considering the current economic conditions, and

3) Based on my comments above, can you recommend a different area?

Also, I would plan to move in approx one year from now

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:28 PM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Laguna Niguel is not a great commute to Irvine unless you take the toll road.

Irvine is a decent job center but has been hit hard recently as a lot of it was tied to real estate, mortgage, homebuilding, etc.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM

What is the disadvantage of the toll road (other than $/mth)? Also, do you know if there is a relevant tech community in Irvine - OC?
Thanks

Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM

only disadvantage is the $8/day.

there are a number of tech communities in the costa mesa/irvine area but none that i would call relevant. it's not like the bay area down here. generally speaking there is a spattering of tech companies with some B2B stuff in Long Beach/costa mesa/irvine and then some consumer tech in Santa Monica/Southbay.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk101 View Post
Also, do you know if there is a relevant tech community in Irvine - OC?
Thanks
Yeah, it is no Silicon Valley. Nothing like Google or anything here, you won't find the mega companies in tech really anywhere but the Silicon Valley. Then again, it is probably among the top 10 tech areas in the United States.

Some of the companies you have in the technology business or aspects in technology would be Gateway Computers (personal computers, etc..), Broadcom (semiconductors), Blizzard Entertainment (video games), Verizon Wireless (cell phones, etc..), Thales Avionics (airline in flight entertainment), Panasonic (airline in flight entertainment), Toshiba America (computers, hard drives, tv's, semiconductors, printers, etc...), Autobytel (website), Avacom Inc (software), Bear Data Systems (various tech), Interactive Voice Solutions (software), and many many more. These are just a few of what there is in Irvine. However, I'm not really sure if any company is looking for a new employee these days in this economy.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks - I would probably not be attracted (or vice versa) to a larger company anyway. SV is clearly tops when it comes to early stage tech. I am willing to sacrifice a bit on the opportunity side for the coastal living and being closer to the beach. Also, from what I've learned, the COL is a bit lower (albeit higher than most of the world anyway:-))

Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 PM

SV is tops for large and early stage companies. as missionhome said, there are few larger / mid size tech firms. I was more commenting on the lack of early stage stuff since most tech people tend to like the startups for the fast pace, financial upside, and innovation. unfortunately not a lot of that down here.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 PM

OK Thanks. Early stage is what I'm used to - could be a problem finding work :-(

Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobk101 View Post
OK Thanks. Early stage is what I'm used to - could be a problem finding work :-(
If you're open to moving a lot then find a job and live close to it.

If you have a family as I do and stability is important, then my recommendation is to live somewhere between redondo beach and huntington beach. These areas put you within commuting distance to LA and Irvine. Since early stage companies don't last more than a few years usually (hopefully because they sell not fold) living in a centralized area is important. I live in the naples section of long beach. It's coastal, nice, good schools, close to the freeway and i can be in Irvine or LA in 45 minutes.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks - I'll check into it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County