U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:42 AM

26,333 posts, read 62,487,377 times

Advertisements

THere are decent areas of Santa Ana and the school issue can be dealt with. We lived downtown for 9 years with our 5 children and things went very well. I cannot picture in my head where Warener and Fariview is exactly, but I think it is on the extreme western edge of Santa Ana (I know where fairview is, but Warner I do nto recall). Between Fairview and harbor from 17th street down to at least 5-10 blocks south of First used to be called the COmpbat zone by the D.A's office. It got remarkably better in the past 15 or so years, but still seems a little rough.

You cannot go by zip codes in Santa Ana, you have to go by specific areas.
Floral Park in Santa Ana is probably the niceset neighborhood in all of Orange County (unless you love poorly built cookie cutter subdivision homes in South County).

French Park, and Park Santiago are reasonably good neighborhoods even though they are in 92701 - not the best zip code. We lived in French Park some of our friends live in Park Santiago.

If you remain intersted in Santa Ana, let me know your kids ages and interests and I can tell you what worked for us for schools. If your kids have artistic talent, OCSHA and the related schools may be a great option. (if they are seriously talented, you may end up bringing them to OCHSA from some other town anyway). It is more work to find and enroll in good schools, but the lower real estate prices and cooler houses bigger lots, and a few other benefits are your trade off.

I woudl suggest that you give no credibility to comments about Santa Ana from anyone who has not lived there. Secondly, you have to cosider where they lived. There are parts of Santa Ana that woudl make anyone cringe. There are people who will tell you that Floral Park is awful, but 90% of the people who live there will tell you otherwise. Best bet is to go the the areas you are considering and drive around find people and ask them.

It is true that in most parts of Santa Ana, you are not too far from an undesireable area. However, that is true of part of many Orange County Cities. It all depends on what you want. If you want a city where every area is exactly the same, then stick to south county and pay more for less and commute further. It is all a trade off. For us, it was worth it to live in Santa Ana, for otehrs, they would never consider it.

Finally, take a good look deep inside yourself. Are you prejudice? Do you think that all hispanic immigrants, are illegal, are dirty, are probably criminals? If so, do nto move to Santa Ana. If you are not hispanic, you will be in a minority in most parts of the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 10:11 PM

241 posts, read 817,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Between Fairview and harbor from 17th street down to at least 5-10 blocks south of First used to be called the COmpbat zone by the D.A's office. It got remarkably better in the past 15 or so years, but still seems a little rough.
Right. Said in some other post from couple blocks south of grand all the way through harbor and around 17th through around Edinger is mostly undesirable areas and just outside of those streets are almost like border regions to more desirable cities. Had a pretty huge raid in some areas nearby fairview and 1st around santa ana river months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County