U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,821,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Well if realtors are predicting an additional 28.6% price drop, I'm definitely putting my money on a larger decline than that.
True. It's funny to watch realtors trying to get people to buy into a declining market. I've seen TV ads recently that say something like "Affordability is improving daily". Really? Why is that? Could it be because prices are going down? So why should I buy today when it'll be cheaper tomorrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 04:02 PM

35 posts, read 56,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post
After living here for basically 30 years, my wife and I are leaving (both in our late 20s) for Denver. It's just way way way too expensive here....and besides the weather, I just dont get it. I imagine that the region will go through severe "brain drain" as young professionals such as us realize that the California Dream is all but dead.
"I totally agree," I moved to Colorado for college and now I'm staying put along with many of my friends who grew up in OC. The Orange County lifestyle seems to be in drastic decline IMO. I'm not waiting around to see what eventually pans out in that area. You are going to love Colorado. Denver/Boulder is a much more educated populace than OC, it's much cleaner and the weather here is actually pretty good over all.Most of my family who has lived in SO. Cal. forever is moving out here in the next two years. I will always come back to visit, but have no intentions of ever returning to OC to live. After living in Boulder for the past four years I knew this was home. Just make sure you have a job because this area is very sought after, and there is a lot of competition right now.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:08 PM

624 posts, read 1,072,644 times
People will not buy a 55 year old, 1200 square foot ranch ranch house in GG or Westminster for $425,000 (average per the Sunday Register newspaper business section) 20% down = $42,000 and the income needed now that the liar loans are gone would be 1/3 of $380,000 which is about $125,000 of annual income. If I made $ 125,000 a year , I would not live in a 55 year old house in a poor community. Would you. I agree with BOLDERAMA.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,674,869 times
High-end O.C. homesellers up prices - Lansner on Real Estate - The Orange County Register

Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM

The high end already has the highest day-on-market of any segment. Raising asking prices makes sense.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 PM

12 posts, read 22,365 times
I believe prices will continue to drop -- especially when the sheeple realize that the economy is not going to recover, but continue in a downward spiral for years. Check out Dr Housing Bubble and Chrismartenson for accurate information on the economy and housing market.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:05 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,635,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderama View Post
"I totally agree," I moved to Colorado for college and now I'm staying put along with many of my friends who grew up in OC. The Orange County lifestyle seems to be in drastic decline IMO. I'm not waiting around to see what eventually pans out in that area. You are going to love Colorado. Denver/Boulder is a much more educated populace than OC, it's much cleaner and the weather here is actually pretty good over all.Most of my family who has lived in SO. Cal. forever is moving out here in the next two years. I will always come back to visit, but have no intentions of ever returning to OC to live. After living in Boulder for the past four years I knew this was home. Just make sure you have a job because this area is very sought after, and there is a lot of competition right now.

Oh please I lived and worked and went to school in Boulder for 3 years. It's as snobby, snooty, elitist and as expensive as Southern California. That's why so many spoiled brat kids from CA go to CU. In fact it's Californians that keep ruining places like Colorado and Oregon. Boulder is not what is used to be. It's changed a lot in the last 10-15 years and you can blame part of that on the influx of people from CA. I mean who the hell do you think has ruined CA? The same people that are fleeing the state that's who. Places like Boulder will end up being ruined along with it.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:12 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,635,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post
After living here for basically 30 years, my wife and I are leaving (both in our late 20s) for Denver. It's just way way way too expensive here....and besides the weather, I just dont get it. I imagine that the region will go through severe "brain drain" as young professionals such as us realize that the California Dream is all but dead.
Well I suggest you do a little more research because Denver is hardly WAY WAY WAY cheaper than OC. All the nice areas in Denver are comparable to the nice areas in OC. In fact Denver is a lot like OC. The crappy neighborhoods no one wants to live in are really the only "affordable" places. Greenwood Village, Highlands Ranch, Parker, Castle Pines, i.e south Denver areas are very nice and would remind you of OC. It's like the difference between North OC and South OC. South OC is much nicer and not as crowded as North OC. Same thing with Denver. The only difference between OC and Denver really is you have a metropolitan area i.e. downtown Denver which OC doesn't have. But prices in Lodo, and all the other areas are ridiculously expensive considering Denver is hardly a Chicago, LA or NYC.

That being said I LOVE DENVER! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Lived there for 7 years. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 AM

575 posts, read 1,593,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The high end already has the highest day-on-market of any segment. Raising asking prices makes sense.

Maybe they're all trying to grab at a bit of appreciation during the spring/summer sales rush, before the conforming loan limit falls in October?

They might be well served to look at what things are actually selling for though. Looks to me like the Sale-to-List % is trending decidedly in the opposite direction of the Listing $/SqFt. Hmmm

Hey SoCalCroozer,

Did you notice that Charles bumped a 2009 thread with his new information? I'm guessing folks have already made their Colorado decisions, or not, by now.

What's up with all the old thread bumps recently Charles?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Well I suggest you do a little more research because Denver is hardly WAY WAY WAY cheaper than OC. All the nice areas in Denver are comparable to the nice areas in OC. In fact Denver is a lot like OC. The crappy neighborhoods no one wants to live in are really the only "affordable" places. Greenwood Village, Highlands Ranch, Parker, Castle Pines, i.e south Denver areas are very nice and would remind you of OC. It's like the difference between North OC and South OC. South OC is much nicer and not as crowded as North OC. Same thing with Denver. The only difference between OC and Denver really is you have a metropolitan area i.e. downtown Denver which OC doesn't have. But prices in Lodo, and all the other areas are ridiculously expensive considering Denver is hardly a Chicago, LA or NYC.

That being said I LOVE DENVER! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Lived there for 7 years. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Housing prices in the southern suburbs are still half per square foot (or less) what they are in OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County