Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 AM

53 posts, read 91,770 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to southern California. I am a southern woman who was raised in Birmingham and have never lived outside the south. Has anyone else who lives in Orange County lived in the south? Is it really that different? We just came back from our trip and I just loved the place. It seemed very laid back and quite friendly, and not at all like the shows on tv that portray the lifestyle there. I am looking forward to our move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i'm originally from OC and lived in Richmond, VA for a while as well as spent time in SC and GA. I'm not sure how that part of the south compares to the gulf states, but i'll give it a shot anyways. first, housing here is crazy expensive compared to the south. in most areas that i visited, $250k would get you a nice house in a nice neighborhood. not the case here. also, we have traffic like you've never seen. make sure to live pretty close to where you'll be working, unless you don't mind going 20-30mph for over an hour to and from work. as for lifestyles, laid back is often a word used to describe the oc, but i don't think that's the case. people dress very casually, it's not uncommon to see men wearing tommy bahama shirts and flip flops to church on sundays. also, slacks are almost never needed unless you're a lawyer or doctor. jeans can be worn for just about any occasion, save a wedding or funeral (and even then sometimes it's appropriate). sadly though, the "keeping up with the joneses" mentalitiy is strong throughout CA and many people tend to look down upon those of more humble financial status. if you have a heavy accent, people may even make assumptions about you, especially in the ritzier coastal/southern areas. however, not everyone is like that (most people in fact) and there are plenty of transplants in the area from all over the country. it might take some work, but you should find your own niche here eventually. good luck with the move! also, eat the mexican food, it will way better than anything you've ever had in the south.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Yes, it really is that different.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
You should definitely come out and live in California for a few years.
It will make all the wonderful things about your home state of Alabama become clearer to you, and you will appreciate it all the more.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM

12 posts, read 66,645 times
Default You may welcome the change.

Writing as someone who grew up in the South, you will be in awe of the southern California weather with flowers in bloom in January, no frost, lots of sunny days, etc. A lot of Orange Co. people are approachable and strangers strike up a conversation. You will find a lot of diversity here which is a great change from the South. If you prefer to attend a place of worship or join a faith community, you probably won't be a stranger long but quickly included. As to disadvantages of residing here, others have addressed and will comment on that. Please consider these also in your decision. I wish you well in your journey to California and Orange Co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: