U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:52 AM

58 posts, read 118,954 times

Advertisements

i work in LA..century city to be precise.. what are the safest places to buy homes and raise kids in LA/orange county..i know irvine is good but it s a bit too far.. how is cerritos compared to Irvine... please advise.. i dont mind commuting 35 miles... but irvine is 50 miles from my work... i still like irvine... wat do u guys suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 12:58 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,959,496 times
Stay on the west side or south bay. 35 miles could be 2 hours.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,459,794 times
Cerritos would be excellent, but Century City is kind of far. Torrance would be a better choice(closer), or maybe Westchester or Sherman Oaks? Of course, if you can afford it there are some great places just west of Century City along the coast

Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 AM

escape-could you be more precise as to what you mean by west side/south bay... i need more specific areas..cerritos is a good choice i agree.since i am looking to buy a home and not rent a apartment i want to tread cautiously.. i have been living in irvine and doing this 50 mile commute(in a carpool) my spouse works in city of orange..so her commute from irvine is just 16 miles.ofcourse her commute from cerritos would be 15 miles too.if i go too close to LA my wife's commute would be bad and i do not want that.. so i am looking to strike a balance betweek work in LA and city of orange

Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 AM

escape-could you be more precise as to what you mean by west side/south bay... i need more specific areas..cerritos is a good choice i agree.since i am looking to buy a home and not rent a apartment i want to tread cautiously.. i have been living in irvine and doing this 50 mile commute(in a carpool) my spouse works in city of orange..so her commute from irvine is just 16 miles.ofcourse her commute from cerritos would be 15 miles too.if i go too close to LA my wife's commute would be bad and i do not want that.. so i am looking to strike a balance betweek work in LA and city of orange[/quote]

Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 AM

escape-could you be more precise as to what you mean by west side/south bay... i need more specific areas..cerritos is a good choice i agree.since i am looking to buy a home and not rent a apartment i want to tread cautiously.. i have been living in irvine and doing this 50 mile commute(in a carpool) my spouse works in city of orange..so her commute from irvine is just 16 miles.ofcourse her commute from cerritos would be 15 miles too.if i go too close to LA my wife's commute would be bad and i do not want that.. so i am looking to strike a balance betweek work in LA and city of orange

Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj2009 View Post
.if i go too close to LA my wife's commute would be bad and i do not want that.. so i am looking to strike a balance betweek work in LA and city of orange
Then Cerritos is probably for you. You could also look in parts of Downey, Lakewood, Cypress, Rossmoor, East Long Beach, etc, but Cerritos is a great place to start if you can afford it. Downey would be the closest to LA I'd want to get considering your situation. Nothing northwest of it on the 5 is any good for families in my opinion

Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,959,496 times
^^ What he said. You should have included the parameter of your wife working in Orange in the first post. It makes a HUGE difference.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 PM

sorry about not including both the work locations.. even i feel cerritos is good.now my question is how does cerritos fare compared to irvine.. while i do understand irvine has a longer commute to LA compared to cerritos. it's very safe and i feel more comfortable in irvine since i lived for the past 5 years here.. is cerritos as good as irvine.. if slightly less it's still ok.. but i heard certain areas in cerritos like cerritos city college/parts of pioneer/norwalk are not good and have some gang activity.. since i am going to buy i want to be absolutely sure i buy in a safe neighborhood in cerritos that is as close to irvine(if not better)also since cerritos is expensive i want to ensure i dont buy into a wrong part of cerritos and then be unhappy about it... irvine i know is pretty good overall so i can buy with closed eyes..Please advise.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:31 PM

Cerritos and Irvine are fairly similar, just stay away from areas north of the 91 and west of pioneer. Those areas are still fine, but close to the Norwalk one-ways and general riff-raff. It's a small part of the city and it comes from residing so close to Norwalk. The bulk of Cerritos is as good as Irvine. You may also be interested in La Palma as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County