Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
OMG Skyward31, are you on -----? I personally sat on the 405 freeway and almost delivered my baby in the car!! You are in big time denial!!

And maybe people DO NOT want to have a roommate... The quality of life in OC is the pits unless you have money...PERIOD. I wouldn't consider 50K to be on the lower class level either. It is middle class and many people do not make that kind of money. What about the people who make $10.00 an hour? Do they have to live with four or five room mates to make it work there? That is hardly a good life for anyone and a big pain in the ---

You need a huge reality check-up from the neck up!!!
LOL. I've managed to make sure that where I work and where I commute from/live involve avoiding the worst routes. Some people are just so "obtuse" and always end up stumbling into the least efficient/most difficult circumstances. Ya know, they have the best of intentions but they just never seem to understand the concept of working smarter rather than harder. I meet them all the time out here.

The pits? How much money does one need in your opinion? That's a gross over-generalization.

A salary of just under 50K is what it is. At least its a specific number. Individuals can decide for themselves if that's "rich" or not. Most would probably laugh at the idea that it's rich. Some would die to make that much (I guess). Suffice it to say that-roommate or not-one can live a nice life in a place like Newport Beach on 50K. When I read something like "life is the pits unless you have money", my gut instinct is to assume I'd be priced out. Because "money" to me starts at a minimum of six figures. That's why it's best people provide specifics and ask for specifics in return when it comes to asking for advice on places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I lived in Riverside. My eyes ALWAYS itched and watered, and I couldn't go more than a block without being short of breath. As soon as I got out of there, on a vacation going east to Kansas, I discovered the itching and shortness of breath were GONE. And as soon as I got back into socal they came back.

YOu do get used to it but up to a point. If breathing air that makes it hard to breath is not bad for you and something to warn others who might just have the same problem I don't know what is.

I wouldn't compare a small town in Oklahoma with Riverside either, except to say that having discovered what it is to breath freely, even knowing what was causing the problems before, I would never find it acceptable again.

You can't compare two places exactly even if they are nearly the same. But you can list the good and the bad of both and let people make up their mind based on what works for them. And just because there is no Disneyland, or movie theaters all over town does not mean a rural area is not as good or the megasuburb is better. To each his own.
No question, the Riverside and San Bernadino areas are the absolute worst for air quality in the country. People reading this, though, need to understand there is a HUGE difference in air quality in most of the rest of SoCal (coastal areas in particular). It's much better anywhere outside of that belt east of L.A.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I was raised in the San Fernando Valley in the 50's and 60's. The smog was considered "part of life". When my lung capacity was tested later it showed that due to the smog I have lost 1/3 normal capacity. Even when smog is not as bad it has to "be a concern". I lived in Orange county for fifteen years, mostly at the beach, and its true the smog isn't a major thing for the three or four miles next to the coast. But just drive out of that microclimate and it is there. I worked in Santa Ana and would drive into a blown cloud of muck and not just in one season.

As far as Riverside, its and SBD have the worse smog in the nation. Yes, smog is a concern all year. It gets worse when you can see grey goop in the sky, but it is being breathed all the time. If you are telling people how it is who might move there, OR inland OC, OR the inland valleys of LA, that they will be doing serious damage to their kids developing health is certainly what should be near the top of the list of considerations.
Yeah, you've managed to live in the worst areas for air quality it seems. Bummer. But, you have more than just the three or four miles next to the coast with good air quality. I've never seen "grey goop" in my seven years here. But, I've never spent time in Riverside Or SB either.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
No, you didn't exaggerate the traffic situation because in the short 7 years I lived there I have probably driven more miles then most of you people on this forum as I drove tow trucks and then later on operated my own mobile business from LA/OC all the way to the Rancho Cucamonga

So speaking from experience, the traffic was such an issue that I had to frequently use side/back streets to get to where I was going and getting up a 5am was a must if you wanted to get anywhere on time from say, Irvine to LA. Sff, why do you think people who have money in California rent/buy helicopters?

Anyhow, when I would use the 710/605 corridor it got to the point where I would be on extra guard for my life because of the frequent freeway shootings. You know, people coming off from work stressed out/tired, people loosing jobs, then the same people stuck in hot traffic that's hardly moving just makes an environment for people to get ticked off very easily and pull a gun on you just because you cut them off.

Sff, that's no way to live, nor is living out in the desert and driving 4 hours round trip to LA and back that your not getting paid for just to survive.
I have no problem providing the caveat when telling people how great it is here that you do NOT want to have a job that is comprised of driving all over the Southland. LOL. It's true that a driver job here would not be great (ok, it would suck).

And you mention the 710/605 corridor. Uh, yeah. Avoid that area. They are terrible for traffic and go through nasty 'hoods. I don't know about "frequent" in describing the number of freeway shootings. But, yeah, don't move here if you have to live or work in that area.

Fortunately, your options for living here are FAR more than what the gentleman above describes. It doesn't just come down to driving the 710/605 corridor or living in the desert. There are many awesome options that involve neither of the above.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
What I mean is one will live in an undesirable area and struggle in OC without sufficient money. Many people only make minimum wage or a little over that. Living in OC is a bad choice for that person. Unless again they don't mind living with several room mates. I didn't say 50K was rich and it is impossible for a family to live on that income in OC. You must be single or something? I couldn't even live on that income in another state with a family...

Working smarter... Hmmm I had a job where I traveled and so did my husband and we knew all of the sidestreets, short-cuts etc... We still got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Sometimes with jobs you have no choice as to where you are located and where you have to go..

Maybe you should write a book on "Living the Good life in California" living smart...?? Go for it... you seem to have all the solutions and answers. People would love to hear about your success.. And if I ever have to move back there I will definately look you up for the right place to live and the smart place to work.

Raechel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
LOL. I've managed to make sure that where I work and where I commute from/live involve avoiding the worst routes. Some people are just so "obtuse" and always end up stumbling into the least efficient/most difficult circumstances. Ya know, they have the best of intentions but they just never seem to understand the concept of working smarter rather than harder. I meet them all the time out here.

The pits? How much money does one need in your opinion? That's a gross over-generalization.

A salary of just under 50K is what it is. At least its a specific number. Individuals can decide for themselves if that's "rich" or not. Most would probably laugh at the idea that it's rich. Some would die to make that much (I guess). Suffice it to say that-roommate or not-one can live a nice life in a place like Newport Beach on 50K. When I read something like "life is the pits unless you have money", my gut instinct is to assume I'd be priced out. Because "money" to me starts at a minimum of six figures. That's why it's best people provide specifics and ask for specifics in return when it comes to asking for advice on places.

Last edited by Raelyn28; 06-05-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 06:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
I was raised in the San Fernando Valley in the 50's and 60's. The smog was considered "part of life". When my lung capacity was tested later it showed that due to the smog I have lost 1/3 normal capacity. Even when smog is not as bad it has to "be a concern". I lived in Orange county for fifteen years, mostly at the beach, and its true the smog isn't a major thing for the three or four miles next to the coast. But just drive out of that microclimate and it is there. I worked in Santa Ana and would drive into a blown cloud of muck and not just in one season.

As far as Riverside, its and SBD have the worse smog in the nation. Yes, smog is a concern all year. It gets worse when you can see grey goop in the sky, but it is being breathed all the time. If you are telling people how it is who might move there, OR inland OC, OR the inland valleys of LA, that they will be doing serious damage to their kids developing health is certainly what should be near the top of the list of considerations.

To add to this I remember looking at a special on the news talking about the air quality in Southern California and from what the report said the worse place of air quality was Long Beach, Ca around Terminal Island and neighboring city's.

I remember when I drove to Terminal Island and how you gradually meet up with more semi trucks as you go along until finally you get to the epicenter and the place is just full of semi trucks coming and going spewing dark clouds of exhaust smoke. The news went on about the air quality in relation to cancer and the effects on little children.

It's really sad when you think about it, I mean, people chose to import goods that can be made here at the cost of unnecessary industrial pollution.

Debate Rises Over Coke Dust at Ports - Los Angeles Times

Worst, best cities for air quality listed - Environment- msnbc.com

Old 06-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
There are many awesome options that involve neither of the above.

Where are they Skyway?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:13 PM

Be careful here. You are telling the truth about the area and you will be called negative, a troll, a lyer, a mental case, and the list goes on and on.

It seems like nobody wants to here these types of things about the area.. Hopefully you won't get nailed for speaking of these things Peace!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
To add to this I remember looking at a special on the news talking about the air quality in Southern California and from what the report said the worse place of air quality was Long Beach, Ca around Terminal Island and neighboring city's.

I remember when I drove to Terminal Island and how you gradually meet up with more semi trucks as you go along until finally you get to the epicenter and the place is just full of semi trucks coming and going spewing dark clouds of exhaust smoke. The news went on about the air quality in relation to cancer and the effects on little children.

It's really sad when you think about it, I mean, people chose to import goods that can be made here at the cost of unnecessary industrial pollution.

Debate Rises Over Coke Dust at Ports - Los Angeles Times

Worst, best cities for air quality listed - Environment- msnbc.com

Old 06-05-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Be careful here. You are telling the truth about the area and you will be called negative, a troll, a lyer, a mental case, and the list goes on and on.

It seems like nobody wants to here these types of things about the area.. Hopefully you won't get nailed for speaking of these things Peace!!

Trust me, I found out a long time ago that few people such as myself look at the "dark side" of life. I don't know, it's just something about Americans where they refuse to look until it's knocking at there front door.

My thing is, the darkside is here with us from day one so somebody needs to study it just like we study outer space or the depths of the ocean.

Last edited by Morphous01; 06-05-2009 at 08:06 PM..

Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 PM

And I call it the whole story... Everyone wants to live in denial...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County