U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,507,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingirisheyes View Post
This is really true. I realized this past year that most of my friends have at least one "nebulizer" kid in their family. That says something to me about our air quality!

I agree. I know that area is beautiful and worth a higher property value. But that is a LOT of money that could be used toward so many other things.

See, there you go being rude again. Is it possible that, to make your point, you're getting caught up in the semantics? I didn't realize I would need to qualify my every word. Are you a lawyer or something? I think you get my point and yet you seem to be really hung up on the fact that I didn't qualify my statement with a list of the areas outside of the suburbs of all the places that may be classified as scenic.

I said "the lack of scenery". So for YOU, I shall qualify my statement.....

Addendum: ....the lack of scenery (Statement excludes most coastal and mountain regions but includes the majority but not all suburbs, valleys, deserts and Long Beach).

The lack of scenery surrounding the general population. Meaning, it sure would be nice to live on a street with some trees that weren't just imported palms. Or to drive down the street and not just see 50 Starbucks, Targets, Burger Kings and Shopping Centers.

Feel better?
There is A LOT of California that qualifies as coastal or mountain area. Ok, maybe not in Fullerton or the the San Fernando Valley

The proliferation of Starbucks, Target etc is a problem in most communities throughout the country. And I agree this is unfortunate. However, it should be noted that many California cities are at the forefront of a plan to keep their towns from being overrun by the same few chains. Pier Avenue in Hermosa Beach is one example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Agree. Orange County is about 50% very nice areas and 50% not so nice areas. It really depends which half of the areas you live in and I think it shapes your perception.

Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, RSM, Orange Park Acres, Anaheim Hills, San Clemente, Laguna Beach, Irvine, Los Alamitos, Cypress, Yorba Linda, etc.... make up about 50% of the county population.

About 24% of the county lives in Santa Ana or Anaheim, two cities with most of the areas generally considered the "worst" part of Orange County on this forum. The rest of the areas in not so nice were parts of Garden Grove, Buena Park, Stanton, La Habra, etc... while their cities have there nice areas, they aren't as uniformally nice as the other cities.

So interestingly, OC is a 50/50 county.

It is amazing how different lifestyles can be in California. It really isn't all that different in the whole state. Oakland has wealthy hills and poverty near the water, Los Angeles has wealthy communities in the hills and on the beaches only separated by a freeway from a rough neighborhood of gang violence, etc...
Right. Actually, I'd venture to say that less than 50% of L.A. area is nice. It's like 40% posh and 60% ghetto. There really are no true middle class neighborhoods anymore. I wish this wasn't the case.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:58 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,158,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
The proliferation of Starbucks, Target etc is a problem in most communities throughout the country. And I agree this is unfortunate. However, it should be noted that many California cities are at the forefront of a plan to keep their towns from being overrun by the same few chains. Pier Avenue in Hermosa Beach is one example.
Welcome to Denver - more big box stores and restaurant chains in every corner of the metro area than I remember seeing in NorCal - maybe not by much. I'm betting CA is continuing to be overrun in many of the metro areas though.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,041,935 times
Quote:
This depends on where you're at. There are many beaches in California with very clean water. Others have dirty water. There is a wide variance between beaches. It's no different on the east coast. But, I'm guessing you spent all your time at one or two of the less than desirable beaches and decided you'd loop all of California under the same umbrella.

I'm not a oceanographer but how can a clean body of water reside alongside a polluted body of water but yet still remain clean?

End the end, I pretty much consulted with the experts like my bud who is a long time fisher and my old roommates from Hawaii and I was constantly told that the water is extremely dirty all around.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:40 PM

76 posts, read 195,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I'm not a oceanographer but how can a clean body of water reside alongside a polluted body of water but yet still remain clean?
Different beaches can have different levels of pollution. I live in San Diego County, where the beaches have historically been cleaner than most. Here is a list of most polluted beaches in Calif. as of May 2009 (link)

Here's a list ranking the most polluted beaches in California, as compiled by the environmental group Heal the Bay.
  1. Avalon Harbor Beach on Catalina Island (Los Angeles County)
  2. Cabrillo Beach harborside (Los Angeles County)
  3. Pismo Beach Pier (San Luis Obispo County)
  4. Colorado Lagoon (Los Angeles County)
  5. Santa Monica Municipal Pier (Los Angeles County)
  6. City of Long Beach at Los Angeles River outlet (Los Angeles County)
  7. Poche Beach (Orange County)
  8. Surfrider Beach at Malibu Creek (Los Angeles County)
  9. Campbell Cove State Park Beach (Sonoma County)
  10. Doheny Beach at San Juan Creek (Orange County)

Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post

End the end, I pretty much consulted with the experts like my bud who is a long time fisher and my old roommates from Hawaii and I was constantly told that the water is extremely dirty all around.
LOL. No, you'd have to look at the reports done by real scientists and see factual evidence. Check out healthebay.org. They test the water at all the beaches. One can see which beaches have very clean water and which ones are dirty. I'll have more regard for real scientific reports than the hearsay from your fisherman buddy.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne1207 View Post
Different beaches can have different levels of pollution. I live in San Diego County, where the beaches have historically been cleaner than most. Here is a list of most polluted beaches in Calif. as of May 2009 (link)

Here's a list ranking the most polluted beaches in California, as compiled by the environmental group Heal the Bay.
  1. Avalon Harbor Beach on Catalina Island (Los Angeles County)
  2. Cabrillo Beach harborside (Los Angeles County)
  3. Pismo Beach Pier (San Luis Obispo County)
  4. Colorado Lagoon (Los Angeles County)
  5. Santa Monica Municipal Pier (Los Angeles County)
  6. City of Long Beach at Los Angeles River outlet (Los Angeles County)
  7. Poche Beach (Orange County)
  8. Surfrider Beach at Malibu Creek (Los Angeles County)
  9. Campbell Cove State Park Beach (Sonoma County)
  10. Doheny Beach at San Juan Creek (Orange County)
Right. And all pretty much are near river mouths. On the contrary, one could also post a list of beaches that are consistently highly regarded for their clean water.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 PM

A couple quick observations just from scanning their annual report card:
1) 94% of beaches in OC received a grade of A or B for water cleanliness in times not immediately following a storm
2) 70% of L.A. county beaches received this grade. L.A. county is the worst county in the state for water quality, yet 70% of the beaches were A or B.

A neanderthal could see why a statement like "the water everywhere in California is extremely dirty" is flat wrong.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:35 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,471,367 times
Once they close a beachbecause it is full of sewage, I am disinclined to swim there again period. They usualy close the beaches some time after the contamination occurs. It takes a while for them to find out that it is unsafe. Meanwhile people are swimming in sewer water. Ick.

Laguna Beach seems to get closed a lot. I cannot remember Balboa ever being closed. Yet newport bay is generally disgusting. Of course anything in the LA harbor area gets closed from time to time. Funny, I always assumed that Avalon woudl be cleaner. It is way tou away from everything. They must dump sewage into the water there, or maybe it is from the boats.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:56 PM

72 posts, read 121,651 times
Quote:
This depends on where you're at. There are many beaches in California with very clean water. Others have dirty water. There is a wide variance between beaches. It's no different on the east coast. But, I'm guessing you spent all your time at one or two of the less than desirable beaches and decided you'd loop all of California under the same umbrella.

Your fairly right California have one of the most amazing sea life in the US, trust you would not see Sea Otters if the water was not of high quality but I guess some area might have some polution like anywhere else.

Same goes for air polution, when you look at the data for air quality in OC and where I am leaving in Mercer county NJ the air is not much better with both F ratings, only particle are worth maybe linked to the fires...... The only positive point about OC and CA in general is that people and governent are taking care of the issue (to some degree) and the air quality in the LA/OC area have improved since the 70's... Could only get better, I hope :-)
Pecosbill

Last edited by pecosbill; 06-09-2009 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: mea culpa error on air pollution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County