U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2009, 01:20 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,517,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Hermosa Beach. Nice area. I am asumming that you live alone and don't have anyone who shares the rent. How big is your apartment and what percentage of your income does it cost? 40 years ago when I was young I actually looked there and couldn't afford it so I ended up in Venice. How old is the apartment building or house you live in?
As for new housing, I have been gone from the area for 18 years. The last house I owned was in Ontario and was as close as I could get to LA on my 60K income 26 years ago. Can you tell me exactly which new housing places you personally could buy on your income if you wanted to? I am planning to move to Phoenix because I want to move to a warmer climate, but cannot afford anything decent in LA. So if it exsists, I am sincerely interested.
Please believe me, I am not combating you, just trying to get those who want to move to the LA area they see on TV to look more closely at the real facts before they decide. Thanks for your input.
This is where confusion arises for people reading this site. I don't own my place. And I have a roommate. Due to lots of student loan debt and a huge car payment, I couldn't afford to live here without a roommate. If I felt the need to buy a place, I'd be looking in largely unappealing areas.

However, I don't feel the need to buy a place nor do I mind having a roommate. That's just my preference and others may differ.

For me, living where I've lived-Hermosa being one nice example of this-I've had great experiences and lived in great areas. So, when people come on and post how it sucks yada yada, I call them on it. Now, if they prefaced everything by saying that they have a modest income (like me) AND MUST buy a house..then things change and you won't find me debating them. IMO living in Ontario, Canada may well be better than living in Ontario ,California.

But for one who is willing to rent and have a roomie, you can easily live in the very best of communities even on a modest income like I make. And in the areas I enjoy and have lived in are absolutely nothing like the Negative Nancies here have tried to tell people.

Now, should I feel compelled to buy a place, I'd need to start making a good bit more money. What I won't do is buy a place in a crummy area. It's a mistake that is "makeable" I understand. But just don't base your opinion on all of California largely off of experiences in a select few mediocre parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 03:52 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,004,013 times
Not sure why I'm posting, but after reading all the pages over the past few days, I thought of one thing that has been kinda nagging at me. Raelyn28, you have said over and over again that you don't want other people to make the same mistake as you.....so you created this thread to tell them the "truth".

I think the problem was.....instead of stating all the negatives about CA (which there are, I'm not saying it's perfect), you should've warned them NOT to be naive like you were. To do some research and VISIT the place they'd like to live, unlike you. I'm sorry, but the move you made was uninformed, ignorant, and naive. You believed CA was like some tv show, that was your own ignorance. That's like me moving to NY and assuming I'll be able to handle the winters easily when I've lived in SoCal all my life. It'd be naive and ignorant on my part. I wish your thread would've said instead, "don't be like me, do your research, visit the area, etc."

Cali's smog is 100x better. We don't have smog days or warnings to stay in. Every place in the country has "bad areas" and "something wrong with it". We all have different opinions of what is liveable and what isn't. As a PP said, he (sorry if you're a she) lives with roommates in a beach city and doesn't need to own a home. I'd rather rent and live where I want, versus buying in a place just cuz I can. Yes, CA takes a lot of money to live here. But then again, we could say the same about a LOT of major cities across the country.

I was born and raised in SoCal. I don't live some tv show life of beaches, parties and being a buxom blonde. But I have a nice car, live in a very nice house, have two dogs, have a great job, make good money, have debt, etc. I love that I can go to the beach, the mountains, the desert. Drive to Vegas or SF for a weekend. I am thinking about moving to OR, not because I hate CA, but because OR calls to me for some reason. I would miss the beaches (or at least being less than 5 miles from it), the culture, the people, the sun. But I'd love things about OR we don't get here either. Um, lots of green stuff and rain.

I'm babbling, but honestly, CA has it's good and it's bad. Just like the place you live now. I am sure there are people who absolutely hate where you live and can list a ton of negative things like you did for Orange County. But IMHO, the issue that I have, is that you could've easily written that you were naive and ignorant about your move and to tell people to do their research. Ppl here are honest, we know there's crime. We're not blind. But then, there's crime everywhere. I live in Irvine, one of the safest cities in the US, and I'm still smart about things. I don't pretend that even in the safest cities in the world, there isn't crime.

That's my two cents and I've lived all over Orange County. Recently I lived in Santa Ana. Never heard gunfire. Never saw any deaths. Heard fighting btwn ppl, but I can hear that anywhere. Heck, I hear that at my condo complex in my plushy Irvine area.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 PM

14,669 posts, read 12,665,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
So, you're going to disregard what the scientists that measure air quality have to say? When they report that air quality in the overwhelming majority of the area is Good or moderate, you're going to disregard that? My source is the South Coast Ar Quality Management District. What is your source??????

South Coast AQMD

I've checked their web site. The Southland has a lot less smog alerts than they used to. But their air is definitely not as clean as what we have in the Bay Area and still usually ranks as the worst in the US. I've seen it for myself and the stats on the web link you posted bear that out.

As I said, yes the air quality is better, but it's still crappy...especially in the inland areas.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 PM

33 posts, read 104,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post

Let me ask a question to all of you who would question my term "the truth". If one is in court as a witness to a crime, the first thing the judge does is say (as you place your hand on the Bible). Will you tell the truth, the whole truth so help you God? Right? Well isn't the person being questioned sharing their experience of what they saw, what they heard, etc, etc?? Well how come that witness isn't accused of only having an experience then? Because he/she is stating the truth as they have experienced or seen it. Duh????

This debate over my title is soooo ridiculously stupid it cracks me up!!! It makes no sense what you are saying and I honestly don't understand why you keep the thread alive with your ignorant replies...
Witnesses are expected to truthfully answer questions, but that does not mean that what they are saying is "the truth". Even if someone doesn't give an accurate picture of what happened, if they believed what they were saying, they were giving their testimony "truthfully". So they actually are just being asked to tell what they saw (their experience) truthfully.

The Problem With Eyewitness Testimony
Monitor on Psychology - How reliable is eyewitness testimony?

It sounds like you are getting defensive (calling people's responses ignorant.) There is no need to get defensive - we should all be able to disagree and not get uptight about it. People have different viewpoints, not everyone has all the information others have - that's just life. I'm sure some people gained valuable knowledge thru hearing your experience, and obviously others took exception. At the end of the day, why get so worked up about it?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,065,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, 50 years ago, much of OC was just being developed (I am not talking about NewPort beach) and was tracky and cheap. There is a big difference today compared to the 50,60 and even 70s in Orange county even taking into consideration wages...It was a middle income county with some lower income properties, there are still some lower income people living there but not much in the way of lower income land or housing. All those track homes that were build near the Santa Ana freeway, they were designed for lower middle class families so they could fulfill the American dream, same as our first home in 1960 in Covina, north of the San Bernardino freeway were cheap homes, mostly starter homes or homes for the lower middle class that couldn't afford to live in Pasadena, Temple City or the like.

I am glad it doesn't bother you, yes that is progress, but not always is progress good. We have all watch various nationalities move into every state, nothing wrong with that, the problem lies in how many are legal or when all communication breaks down because of language barriors.

You hit the nail on the head when you say, 'this ain"t Mayberry" that is why so many are leaving California and most of those moving in are 1-job transfers, 2-young kids that think California will give them everything there is in the world, 3-illegals.

Exactly!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,065,796 times
Quote:
All those track homes that were build near the Santa Ana freeway, they were designed for lower middle class families so they could fulfill the American dream, same as our first home in 1960 in Covina, north of the San Bernardino freeway were cheap homes, mostly starter homes or homes for the lower middle class that couldn't afford to live in Pasadena, Temple City or the like.
Aww, so your first home was in Covina huh. W covina was the first city I lived in when I moved to California so I know that neighboring city pretty well. I found out Knight Rider the T.V show was filmed in Covina pretty frequently in the 80s

Sadly, I don't see young Americans buying up the property in Covina and my prediction is 50 years from now Covina will be like Baldwin Park.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 AM

1,837 posts, read 2,642,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideoflife View Post
Witnesses are expected to truthfully answer questions, but that does not mean that what they are saying is "the truth". Even if someone doesn't give an accurate picture of what happened, if they believed what they were saying, they were giving their testimony "truthfully". So they actually are just being asked to tell what they saw (their experience) truthfully.

The Problem With Eyewitness Testimony
Monitor on Psychology - How reliable is eyewitness testimony?

It sounds like you are getting defensive (calling people's responses ignorant.) There is no need to get defensive - we should all be able to disagree and not get uptight about it. People have different viewpoints, not everyone has all the information others have - that's just life. I'm sure some people gained valuable knowledge thru hearing your experience, and obviously others took exception. At the end of the day, why get so worked up about it?
Thank you for your post and I appreciate your viewpoint. I am really not getting worked up, I just would like to be able to post what I want to post without being critisized. I have been called a liar, accused of never living in OC, called a troll, etc, etc, just because of the thread I posted. And someone said my thread was stupid.

I have went back and re-read my post many times and honestly believe I was fair in my balance of good and bad. There have been a couple of people who have been downright rude and if you start from the beginning of my thread (which has now become very long) you would see what I mean. I just don't feel that certain people have been very nice to me and I don't think that is fair or necessary. I am not talking about you either.

I hope that people who have and will visit this forum will take the good and the bad and make a wise decision that's all. I wish the best for them in their moving experiences.

That was my heart's desire from the beginning.. Yes, I have become slightly offended by some of the comments that people have been making about my thread. It is my experience and people need to allow me to be me. There are many threads in the OC section that talk about crime, pollution, expense, ect. and it seems like nobody makes an issue about those threads just mine.

Anyway, have a nice day....

Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,169,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Thank you for your post and I appreciate your viewpoint. I am really not getting worked up, I just would like to be able to post what I want to post without being critisized. I have been called a liar, accused of never living in OC, called a troll, etc, etc, just because of the thread I posted. And someone said my thread was stupid.
Anytime you post in a forum such as this by giving your opinion, you open yourself up to criticism. Trust me, I know. And some of it will be quite rude. Online forums are, for the most part, anonymous outlets for people to give opinions and make comments that they otherwise wouldn't offer up in the real world. People will say things to you online that they wouldn't say to you in person. You'll have to expect that. Not everyone will be courteous.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think they will be useful for people. Again, the only reason I'm even replying to this thread is because of the title. I didn't want people thinking that your experience with OC was representative of all California regions, or even that of others living in OC. Some will obviously share your opinion, but others won't. It's just one viewpoint. I've debated with others who share your view and they were just as rude and critical as how you've been treated here. It happens to everyone. Insults and personal attacks should not be allowed, but sometimes they aren't blatant enough to require action.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:04 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,169,247 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head when you say, 'this ain"t Mayberry" that is why so many are leaving California...
I guess my question is - why do people believe they have to move out of California based on their experience in one area or one region? CA is very diverse and has a lot of great areas. I've seen a number of people post about how bad OC is, and yet, it seems as if they've never experienced any other part of the state and they still feel they need to get out of CA, as if the area they were in represents the entire state. I understand the whole state of CA has some big problems but it's not like the only option is to move out of the state. A move within the state could prove to be just as rewarding for some as moving out of state. I understand some of you have lived all over the state, but I'm not talking about you.

The original poster would be a perfect example I suppose - Raelyn28, had you considered trying NorCal or even different areas within SoCal? NorCal has a lot of great things and doesn't suffer from some of the negatives of SoCal. It's still expensive in many areas, and has it's shady parts, but it's classic CA in many regards and it can be a breath of fresh air for SoCal'ers. It's worth looking into for some. If you moved, where did you move and why did you choose that spot?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:39 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,517,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I guess my question is - why do people believe they have to move out of California based on their experience in one area or one region? CA is very diverse and has a lot of great areas. I've seen a number of people post about how bad OC is, and yet, it seems as if they've never experienced any other part of the state and they still feel they need to get out of CA, as if the area they were in represents the entire state. I understand the whole state of CA has some big problems but it's not like the only option is to move out of the state. A move within the state could prove to be just as rewarding for some as moving out of state. I understand some of you have lived all over the state, but I'm not talking about you.

The original poster would be a perfect example I suppose - Raelyn28, had you considered trying NorCal or even different areas within SoCal? NorCal has a lot of great things and doesn't suffer from some of the negatives of SoCal. It's still expensive in many areas, and has it's shady parts, but it's classic CA in many regards and it can be a breath of fresh air for SoCal'ers. It's worth looking into for some. If you moved, where did you move and why did you choose that spot?
My thoughts exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County