U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 AM

1,837 posts, read 2,437,926 times
Did you really read the first half of my post (#1 on this thread)?? I mentioned the good points first. And if you have read any of my other posts on many of the other threads you would see that I have said great things about OC as well. It is so weird and strange to me how certain people only pick up on the negatives and then get all defensive and tune or block out the positives. I think it is certain personality types that do that and honestly I don't judge you for it. But please... try to see my heart and intentions behind this thread...

Before I posted anything on this forum (Orange County) I was just reading the threads and I noticed that people were trying to paint a one sided picture of the area. There were beautiful pics of the beach, threads about the great weather, threads about affordable living. Nobody (at the time) was mentioning the high cost of living, the bad areas, etc.. I just felt that the things I was reading were VERY one sided so I started the thread.

All I wanted to do was give people my story, my experience. Honestly, I didn't mean to offend anyone with the title and I actually tried to change it but you cannot change the title even if you were the one who started it. After several weeks I have come to realize that I am glad that I titled it the way I did because it has drawn a lot of attention and that is a good thing. Honestly, people need to hear many different opinions, suggestions, experiences... They really need to look at all aspects of a place. Hopefully they will take everything they have read and make a better relocation decision based on all sources whether good or bad.

Thank you for your contributions here. I am honestly not trying to change your experience, opinion or any titles that you may post. I would appreciate it if you would let me do my thing as well. I am just sharing and I think if you would look for my posts regarding other topics you will find the balance and the positives.

Have a great day LivinginOC Peace to you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinginOC View Post
Wow, driving for 24 years and avoided most of the bad days. I must be the luckiest person alive!

I did read the thread from the very beginning. I decided to add to it to contribute to those who were giving a more balanced view of OC. I know you hated it here and that's OK...really...it is. I sympathize with you.

But, you said you wanted to help people who were considering moving here and it's not helpful to just give the point of view of someone who doesn't like it here. Someone considering it, needs the pros and the cons not just an exaggeration of the cons.

I'm the first to say that OC is not the perfect place to live. It will be a good fit for some and not a good fit for others. I find myself somewhere in the middle. I'm comfortable here because I've been here for what seems like forever. But, I don't love it. I don't hate it either. Personally, I don't feel it's right to try to sway people based on the things I dislike without also presenting the positives. After all, I think this forum exists so that people can make educated decisions on re-location based on realistic testimony from people who already live in the area they are considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:56 PM

38 posts, read 83,839 times
To all the negative posts:

WTF, The entire country is in a RECESSION. People are not just fleeing Ca. Theres a huge wait to get into Canada. Yeah.. people are actually fleeing the country. It is so hard to choose a state to relocate to when everyone just b**ches about their states problems. Im trying to find a decent part of CA to live in but every major cities posts are filled with over ridiculous complaints and it confuses the sh*t out of me. You want clean air,no quakes,cheap living,and nice beaches? Go to Florida. But guess what? No jobs. Welcome to the US Recession,once again. It does not matter to ME what we have here in FLA, since it is hard for ME to enjoy anything in 100 degree weather. So I wear swim trunks and sometimes a shirt. Take the good with the bad. Adapt and overcome and you can find paradise wherever you live.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:08 PM

142 posts, read 281,508 times
Well said nomadic, every state has their pros and cons. I have lived in alot of different states and found the good and the bad in each of them. Unemployment and the high price of the basic necessities in life have us all in a downturn, hopefully it will end soon but until then as you said we can all find our piece of paradise if we're happy and content within ourselves. This forum helps because while you should take every opinion with a grain of salt it does give you a sense of the general attitude of a town is. We all have our "ideal" place we'd like to live, the difference is one person's paradise might very well be another's hell. Here we get to hear all about it and decide for ourselves what choices we have in deciding where to live.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 PM

38 posts, read 83,839 times
did you ever make it to Cali? Ignore the friend request question. LOL. I am really trying to establish a solid friend/networking base before I get there. Harder than it sounds.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:04 PM

408 posts, read 434,266 times
I find it surprising that anyone living in California today doesn't know people who have lost their jobs, can't find a job or lost their home. That is amazing to me. It's hit members of our family, neighbors, people from our church, recent college grads, friends who have had the same professional job 20+ years, etc.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,073,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoayin View Post
It's true that SoCal has some cool things to do (perhaps not as much culture as NoCal, but that's besides the point), but the quality of people is what I think most transplants have issue with. An earlier post stated something about coming to the L.A./O.C. area if your aim is to make business connections and build status. How true!
I've lived here 4 years and the most intelligent & funnest people I know are chiefly concerned with money, image, status and how their friends and accociates can contribute to those things. I'm originally from the east coast & have spent a good part of my life in the deep south and have never been immersed in such a dense populous of excuse me, narcissists, brats and know-it-all jerks. Unless you find a clique to join, you'll spend a large portion of your time alone here.
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS....
There's no hoping to meet the love of your life, making best friends or having intellectual discussions over a bottle of wine late into the night here. There's shopping, spa-ing (a verb, meaning "to attend the spa"), doing anything you can to get ahead & trying your hand at entrepreneurship. There's also a lot of drinking to be done & sex to be had. If anywhere to watch your 20's fly by in a blur, it's SoCal.
And yes, there are a lot of weird people to meet; living here makes almost everyone an exaggeration of themselves: caricatures, wax figures, melodramatic actors. If you want to make it here you'll have to put on the mask of one of those 3 at least part of the time.
You are speaking to the choir here almost verbatim.

Frankly; I hate to say this about SoCal (my spiritual home), but with the exception of the Hi-Desert (Yucca Valley, etc), I would never live there again.

I am now in the Phx area and I swear; judging by what many of the old timers have outlined............here it is like LA back in 1973. Which is both good and bad.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Not sure if you were relating this to my post or not but never-the-less it is a good post. I think some people have a legitimate complaint while others don't. For me I wasn't complaining because honestly I don't care anymore. I don't have to go through all the drama that OC provided. I have moved on and life is much better.. Not perfect by far but better and less of a hassle. I was just trying to give people a perspective of what I went through. You are absolutely correct, there isn't a perfect place on this planet but there are decent places.

Anyway, have a great week... Hopefully you had a great 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic220 View Post
To all the negative posts:

WTF, The entire country is in a RECESSION. People are not just fleeing Ca. Theres a huge wait to get into Canada. Yeah.. people are actually fleeing the country. It is so hard to choose a state to relocate to when everyone just b**ches about their states problems. Im trying to find a decent part of CA to live in but every major cities posts are filled with over ridiculous complaints and it confuses the sh*t out of me. You want clean air,no quakes,cheap living,and nice beaches? Go to Florida. But guess what? No jobs. Welcome to the US Recession,once again. It does not matter to ME what we have here in FLA, since it is hard for ME to enjoy anything in 100 degree weather. So I wear swim trunks and sometimes a shirt. Take the good with the bad. Adapt and overcome and you can find paradise wherever you live.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 PM

18,293 posts, read 14,442,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ah, come on...You're just getting old.
HEY! Did I tell you that you could use my picture?

Knawk it awf!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 PM

My spiritual home as well... and I wouldn't live there again either.

uote=ArizonaBear;9617425]You are speaking to the choir here almost verbatim.

Frankly; I hate to say this about SoCal (my spiritual home), but with the exception of the Hi-Desert (Yucca Valley, etc), I would never live there again.

I am now in the Phx area and I swear; judging by what many of the old timers have outlined............here it is like LA back in 1973. Which is both good and bad.[/quote]

Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,601,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
You are speaking from a perspective of one who has had a house for a long time. So you are one of the fortunate ones. You also own a business so you probably do well with tax returns etc. If you have owned your home for 30 years you probably don't pay a mortgage payment right? Well then you have a good motivator to be there and have adjusted your view of OC accordingly. You are one of the fortunate few who can actually perhaps enjoy what OC has to offer. Good for you.

My thread is not an exaggeration and I have now literally over 50+ comments in my account saying that I am right on with my thread. Maybe the traffic thing is an exaggeration on a good day but on a bad day I don't think so.

Sports and football is important to many people and I believe that many people would love to see the area have their own football team even if many other people could care less. I was upset when the teams left because I love football and then turned to support the Chargers even though they were several miles away. But then again I wasn't born and raised in an area that really could care less about sports (Not talking about everyone). I was born and raised in the Midwest where College football is a passion.

You could go ahead and start your own thread... that is fine but I would title it. The "truth about California from one of the fortunate people who was able to buy my home several years ago and now I don't have a mortgage payment".

I think you have a right to your opinion but people that are moving into the area right now may perhaps not have the same opportunity that you had several years ago when housing was cheaper and Orange County was not as it is today. You are probably used to the traffic, smog, crime (desensitized) and since you haven't been anywhere else in the last several years you have no comparison.

Thanks for keeping my thread alive... Have a nice 4th watching the fireworks.
Raelyn, you didn't read close enough. The poster said she was only 40, so she obviously didn't buy a house there 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County