U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-14-2012, 01:11 PM
 
653 posts, read 147,426 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Press him on that and see if you can make him squirm. The only thing I can think of is that the northern part (north of Warner Ave) is being absorbed into Little Saigon. That doesn't mean its turned into a terrible area, but you may not want to live in Little Saigon. Of course, realtors aren't supposed to speak of such things due to Federal housing laws. I think it would be funny to make him sweat a little, trying to explain why Fountain Valley should be avoided, without telling you why. The southern part of the city, say south of Slater, is basically Huntington Beach.
Agreed. When I lived in Huntington Beach, I loved Fountain Valley and Mile Square Park. Has it changed much over the last few years? I can't imagine why anyone would say to stay away from FV. It is (or was) a safe, quiet, relatively affordable residential area. If anything, it was just too quiet for me when I was in my 20s. Now in my 30s I'd probably like it a lot more, although HB is where my heart is (at least, until I have children then Irvine would be on my radar).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 PM
 
11,728 posts, read 23,705,478 times
Reputation: 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Agreed. When I lived in Huntington Beach, I loved Fountain Valley and Mile Square Park. Has it changed much over the last few years? I can't imagine why anyone would say to stay away from FV. It is (or was) a safe, quiet, relatively affordable residential area. If anything, it was just too quiet for me when I was in my 20s. Now in my 30s I'd probably like it a lot more, although HB is where my heart is (at least, until I have children then Irvine would be on my radar).
Its still a safe, quiet city but its getting more crowded. As Little Saigon spreads south, we're seeing more houses get "remodeled" to the point where they look like McMansions and totally out of place in the neighborhood. This is done so the entire extended family can live under one roof. Of course that means more cars parked on the street and just higher population density in general.

The hospital at Brookhurst and Talbert just completed a major expansion. So the daytime population of workers is more (just try getting a table at any local fast food restaurant around lunch time) but it brings patients and visitors in too. A lot of the patients look like they shouldn't be driving and only make the congestion worse as they try to figure out where they're going at 20mph. Hyundai just demolished their HQ on Talbert and will be replacing it with a much larger building, 6 stories I think. Sigh, more traffic. I'm sure Wendy's and Taco Bell love it, but it sure makes getting around that much harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM
 
653 posts, read 147,426 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its still a safe, quiet city but its getting more crowded. As Little Saigon spreads south, we're seeing more houses get "remodeled" to the point where they look like McMansions and totally out of place in the neighborhood. This is done so the entire extended family can live under one roof. Of course that means more cars parked on the street and just higher population density in general.

The hospital at Brookhurst and Talbert just completed a major expansion. So the daytime population of workers is more (just try getting a table at any local fast food restaurant around lunch time) but it brings patients and visitors in too. A lot of the patients look like they shouldn't be driving and only make the congestion worse as they try to figure out where they're going at 20mph. Hyundai just demolished their HQ on Talbert and will be replacing it with a much larger building, 6 stories I think. Sigh, more traffic. I'm sure Wendy's and Taco Bell love it, but it sure makes getting around that much harder.
Thanks for the tip. Since this thread is 3 years old, I'm sure the OP wouldn't mind my asking... I plan to be walking / biking distance (I try to avoid driving when I can) to Mile Square Park on the HB side so I can get the pups to the park most days. Is that area still safe for a single girl walking at night with two Chihuahuas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 02:24 PM
 
11,728 posts, read 23,705,478 times
Reputation: 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Since this thread is 3 years old, I'm sure the OP wouldn't mind my asking... I plan to be walking / biking distance (I try to avoid driving when I can) to Mile Square Park on the HB side so I can get the pups to the park most days. Is that area still safe for a single girl walking at night with two Chihuahuas?
You should be OK. The bad side of the park is the one along Euclid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 PM
 
653 posts, read 147,426 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You should be OK. The bad side of the park is the one along Euclid.
Mile Square Park now has a bad side? I HAVE missed a lot. Thanks for filling me in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
 
11,728 posts, read 23,705,478 times
Reputation: 7093
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Mile Square Park now has a bad side? I HAVE missed a lot. Thanks for filling me in!
Well that's nothing new. I knew a FV cop in the 90's and even back then he said you really don't want to know what goes on in the park after dark, especially the northeast section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 PM
 
653 posts, read 147,426 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well that's nothing new. I knew a FV cop in the 90's and even back then he said you really don't want to know what goes on in the park after dark, especially the northeast section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 19,341,492 times
Reputation: 16050
So what does go on there after dark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 PM
 
653 posts, read 147,426 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
So what does go on there after dark?
Right?! lol I was going to ask but don't even want to know. lol I want to imagine that it's as peaceful as I remember it, and pretend that it's as perfect as my Honeygo Park in Maryland (which, since I got the pups, has become my favorite place on earth - my girl is scared of water or the Annapolis Dog Beach would be our #1, since my boy and I love it there ).

Last edited by dclamb3; 02-14-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 19,341,492 times
Reputation: 16050
I always want the juicy details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top