Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:43 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
The rule of thumb for a home to be "affordable" is it shouldn't cost more than 2-2.5x your gross income. At $100k gross that means a home in Manhattan beach shouldn't cost more than $250,000. As I said, barring a natural disaster, I don't think SFR's are EVER going that low again.
You are living in the past when interest rates were much higher. The payment on a $500k home is affordable for somebody making $100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 09:25 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
As a sixty-plus years long resident of LA County, rest assured that whomever stated that the air quality in LA/OC is horrendous and that frequent warnings for residents to stay indoors are absurd and reek of hysteria, not to mention blatant lying; the air quality out here in substantially better than it was 40 years ago, when Fontana was among the top two or three smoggiest cities in the nation almost every year.

One reason for the air quality improvement since then happen to be the invention of the catalytic converter, which has been a huge contributor since over 70% of the new cars sold statewide are imports (the Detroit Three were way behind the Japanese, a number which is even higher in OC due to the county's affluence.

As someone who spends a lot of time all over OC patronizing my favorite breakfast spots including The Filling Station in Orange as well as the Hungry Bear Diner in Fullerton not to mention movie theatres throughout OC, most of OC gets pretty breezy in in the afternoon and the northeast part of the country including Fullerton gets brutally hot during the summer as has certainly been the case this year and in most years like clockwork.

Obviously the democrats in Sacramento have made the COL throughout the state a heck of a lot worse than necessary, starting with the 'no-growth' environmental zealots including our clueless governor who preposterously wants to build a HSR train that won't be one under any circumstances in a state where no one will use it due to its inability to be price competitive with air travel, let alone convenient.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:05 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,904 times
In my 10 years of living in OC, I never once had a problem with people understanding English. If anything, most of this Hispanic people almost seem to prefer speaking English to Spanish, unless they are talking to family or close friends. I had a lot of Hispanic friends who spoke English fluently, regardless if they spoke Spanish or not.
And I doubt many people in rich areas care to speak to those who live in poorer areas, let alone simply go to the poorer areas.
Also, the air quality still sucks, even if it is better than it was 40 years ago. Every time I left OC to go some place else for holiday, I would come home feeling very groggy and kind of sick, and realised it's the air pollution.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Finding a job is another problem. Jobs are hard to come by everywhere but read the statistics on California. The state is in a heap of trouble financially.

Illegal immigrants

Old 08-15-2014, 12:18 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,037 times
truth about Southern California in a short amusing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgW5M08GQ8c

Old 08-18-2014, 10:25 PM

28 posts, read 57,173 times
Default Raelyn28 is a smart and sneaky gal!!!

Not sure why everyone was getting on Raelyn28 or any of the other CA bashers. Obviously they must realize that CA is the greatest place to live...there are just too many people here and that drives the prices for everything up and overloads the freeways and the Pirates of the Caribbean even more. Anyone who lives in CA should be posting similar bashes stressing the negatives so people STOP MOVING HERE!!!

We don't have to share.

Hey rest of the planet...CA Sucks!!! Too many fires, no water, too many serial killers, too much crime, too many gangs, too much traffic, no jobs, all lousy schools, too hot, too smoggy, too expensive, too overcast, too many rich snobs, too many poor people, too much Hollywood, too many Hispanics, too many Blacks, too many Asians, too much Spanish, too many Caucasians, too many retirees, too many taxes, too many Democrats and Republicans, gas costs too much, too many tsunamis and the lines at the DMV are too long. Oh, and there's too many earthquakes and the whole bloody thing is going to slide into the ocean anyways (wink, wink).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County