U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 PM

365 posts, read 806,980 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this very real issue?
(the following has been copied and pasted from the EPA website)

In 2002, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the U.S. in terms of air releases of recognized carcinogens.

In 2003, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the U.S. in terms of person-days in exceedance of national air quality standard for ozone (1-hour).

Based on EPA's most current data, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the US in terms of an average individual's added cancer risk from hazardous air pollutants.

It is considered a nonattainment area by the EPA due to the ambient concentrations of criteria air pollutants which persistantly exceed air quality standards. (Basically, the air is always more polluted than standards allow, and US standards are based on the maximum allowable exposure prior to negative impacts, this is true for air quality just as it is true for dangers present in foods, chemicals, and consumer products.)

Graphs on the website also show the county as ranking in the red above the 90th percentile in areas of pollution. (I tried to paste these but only the html appeared)

Source Reference: Scorecard Home (Irvine, zip code 92617)
Source Reference: http://scorecard.org/env-releases/ca...6#air_rankings (California)

Last edited by pinkgonegreen; 05-27-2009 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: html appeared incorrectly from copy/paste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:22 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,891,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the U.S.
I wonder what this really means. Considering what small percentage of counties the majority of people reside, this might not be a bad thing at all. It's all relative.

The top ten dirtiest counties are probably were 95% of people live. Therefore, it is possible that of all the counties were people live, OC county could be amongst the cleanest. (I may have my numbers a little screwed up but you get the point; it's late, I'm tired, and I'm trying to watch the Laker game.)

Sort of like two guys in a race; the loser states that he came in second and the winner came in second to last.

Last edited by Charles; 05-27-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 PM

1,837 posts, read 2,628,604 times
Default Be careful you will be attacked for your honesty...

Well I believe it.. but again you will be spanked for speaking the truth.. Or else you will be called me. When are you leaving anyway, hopefully soon!! You don't by chance have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do or anything do you?? LOL

Quote:
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this very real issue?
(the following has been copied and pasted from the EPA website)

In 2002, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the U.S. in terms of air releases of recognized carcinogens.

In 2003, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the U.S. in terms of person-days in exceedance of national air quality standard for ozone (1-hour).

Based on EPA's most current data, this county ranked among the dirtiest/worst 10% of all counties in the US in terms of an average individual's added cancer risk from hazardous air pollutants.

It is considered a nonattainment area by the EPA due to the ambient concentrations of criteria air pollutants which persistantly exceed air quality standards. (Basically, the air is always more polluted than standards allow, and US standards are based on the maximum allowable exposure prior to negative impacts, this is true for air quality just as it is true for dangers present in foods, chemicals, and consumer products.)

Graphs on the website also show the county as ranking in the red above the 90th percentile in areas of pollution. (I tried to paste these but only the html appeared)

Source Reference: Scorecard Home (Irvine, zip code 92617)
Source Reference: Pollution Locator: Smog and Particulates: State Report (California)

Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 PM

Not to offend you, but I'm sure it will since I disagree with your stance...and I realize many people can't disagree about a topic here without making it personal...but...

This isn't pollution per capita...the air isn't separated into little parcels based on people breathing it...the simple fact is that we are all breathing very unhealthy air in OC regardless of the reason why, it can not in any way be viewed as "not such a bad thing".

Although I have to say a point was made simply by summing up what I think can be generalized to most people living here "it's late, I'm tired, and trying to watch the Laker game" instead of thinking about health, environment, or well being - I'm sure you can agree it is a very self-centered view neglecting very valid, unbiased data.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 PM

2,498 posts, read 7,593,482 times
I think it is something to be concerned about. There isn't much we can do though than try to cut our pollution levels in this area. I find it interesting that the California life expectancy isn't dramatically lower than the rest of the United States though, even with all our pollution. All Californians are breathing the same air and I would think our life expectancy would be lower if this pollution was killing us. In 2004, Californians had a life expectancy of 80.2 years, an ever increasing trend. This is 2.3 years longer than the average American's life expectancy. Just thought that is interesting. I would think there would maybe be a correlation if it was killing us.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/Pub...tables2004.pdf

Old 05-27-2009, 08:41 PM

Chemicals can prolong life just the same as destroy it. An interesting tidbit to think about is the larger amount of prescription drugs prescribed now than then...and did you read the last water report? I know Moulton Niguel and Irvine Ranch water districts were reporting levels of hormones from birth control pills, anti-seizure, and anti-depressive medications in their tap water supplies. This is from people taking all these drugs, peeing it out, our water treatment doesn't remove them, and then it goes through the water cycle and ends back up in our water here again.

As far as air goes, air isn't stable...it moves and whatever we do here, moves across the USA and the world...and vice versa. It isn't so much a life or death issue, but a QUALITY of life...how many pills you have to pop each day? How many asthma attacks you or your kids have? Etc etc.

QUALITY not QUANTITY of LIFE is the question!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Drug use is a nationwide problem. California no doubt uses prescription drugs, just like people in all states. California actually has the lowest prescription drug use in the country though, so I don't see how moving is going to escape prescription drug use.

"St. Louis, Mo.-headquartered Express Scripts Inc., using data on prescription drugs obtained by more than 800,000 commercially insured health-plan enrollees, found that New Yorkers had the fewest prescriptions filled and obtained the fewest refills in 2000—8.3 per person, on average. Kentucky residents obtained an average of 12.2 prescriptions per person, the highest amount in the country.

According to the PBM, 67 percent of adults obtained at least one new prescription drug or refill in 2000. Leading the country was Kansas, where 71 percent of adults had one or more prescriptions filled during the year. The percentage was lowest in California, where 58 percent of adults had at least one prescription filled.

News Article : Prescription Drug Use Varies By State (http://www.ashp.org/import/news/HealthSystemPharmacyNews/newsarticle.aspx?id=852 - broken link)

California has been one of the better states for my oldest son's asthma. My son is triggered by cold weather with athletic asthma. The bitter temperatures of the Northeast and Midwest give him an asthma attack even walking sometimes. Arizona and New Mexico are two states that would be even better. He only needs his inhaler for athletic activity though due to athletic asthma.

The only pill I take is a daily vitamin. I will take Advil if I have a headache.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,891,677 times
Quote:
Not to offend you, but I'm sure it will since I disagree with your stance...and I realize many people can't disagree about a topic here without making it personal...but...

This isn't pollution per capita...the air isn't separated into little parcels based on people breathing it...the simple fact is that we are all breathing very unhealthy air in OC regardless of the reason why, it can not in any way be viewed as "not such a bad thing".

Although I have to say a point was made simply by summing up what I think can be generalized to most people living here "it's late, I'm tired, and trying to watch the Laker game" instead of thinking about health, environment, or well being - I'm sure you can agree it is a very self-centered view neglecting very valid, unbiased data.

I think you missed the point.

That scorecard is a relative comparison. It is comparing all X thousand counties in the US, (maybe) 99% of them are totally clean because hardly anyone lives in them. Throw those counties out of the comparison. The top ten percent dirtiest counties include an awful lot of clean counties too; one of which could be OC.

It's kind of like saying "Joe has more posts on City Data than 99.99% of people in the world". Now that sounds like he has a lot of posts, right? Even if Joe has only one post he still is in the top 1% because 99.99% of the rest of the world never posted on city data.

Last edited by Charles; 05-27-2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think you missed the point.

That scorecard is a relative comparison. It is comparing all X thousand counties in the US, (maybe) 99% of them are totally clean because hardly anyone lives in them. Throw those counties out of the comparison. The top ten percent dirtiest counties includes an awful lot of clean counties too; one of which could be OC.

It's kind of like saying "Joe has more posts on City Data than 99.99% of people in the world". Now that sounds like he has a lot of posts, right? Evan if Joe has only one post he still is in the top 1% because 99.99% of the rest of the world never posted on city data.
I totally see what you mean. The United States has 3,140 counties! 314 counties are ten percent of the nation's total. So 314 are ranked as "the dirtiest and in the 90% percentile" by the ranking. 126 million people live in the top 100 most populous counties. That is 41% of the country in just 100 of 3,140 counties! When you include the next 214 most populous in the USA, probably (again, just probably) 75% of the country lives in these most populous 314 counties. Unsurprisingly, the 314 most populous counties are almost all in an urban area, which will have the most pollution.

So the 314 counties that make up the "dirtiest" totals in the USA are likely all urban areas. Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Dallas, Miami, Birmingham, Memphis, San Diego, Denver, and basically anywhere with a large population is going to be among that 10% most polluted then. The only places left are the most rural counties, where a whole host of problems beside air pollution face them.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Ok, so I used the provided source just to check a few cities. Other cities and urban areas with rankings from the EPA with "most dirty rankings."

I just randomly searched zip codes in Seattle, Dallas, Austin, Denver, Little Rock, Portland, Boise, Memphis, Boston, Waco (TX), Savannah (GA) and all were in the RED.

Basically anywhere with a decent sized population is going to be in the red zone on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County