Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving from San Diego to Orange County for a new, better paying job. I am not familiar with the area and would love feedback. Especially considering I'm coming from SD. I pay $1,750 a month for a two bedroom house in a nice area. OC seems to get ragged on pretty bad so I'm not sure. Where is a good spot to live up that way? I surf so what about Huntington? Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 10:06 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times
I'd stay in SD, but that's just me....I love SD!

I'm sure you can find what you're looking for though. Where is the new job located? For $1750 you can definitely find something decent. Traffic seems to be worse in OC than SD so try to live near your job.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,081 times
Job is in Costa Mesa so was thinking Huntington Beach area but my girlfriend said it's meth infected...true? Where would you say is a decent coastal area? What is the biggest difference between OC & SD? I took a 85% pay decrease so at this point a decent salary is way important.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
I would just check out all the beach communities from Huntington through San Clemente if I were you. You're close enough you can get up there without too much hassle. Don't read too much into what's posted here. People content with where they live that are not looking to move typically aren't on this site-they are the minority here. And that goes for anywhere not just the OC forum. You can go to every single one of these forums for every area and find an outspoken group that HATES where they live, no matter where that is (San Diego included I just checked lol).

What are you looking for in a beach town?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:37 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
I guess the minority here are all lying according to Skyward. Let me tell you something Danity. I am NOT trying to be negative about OC, in fact nobody here is negative that states facts and experiences. There are only those who choose to paint a rosey picture and give promising experiences as if they were God or something.

Let me ask you a question. No... I don't live in OC anymore but I lived there for 22-years. I spent the first six years in North San Diego County. Recently (within the last 2-months) by husband was offered a job in OC with a six-figure income which is several thousand dollars more than what he is making now. We turned it down and why do you think that is? Because, we didn't want to return to the area even with a pay increase. What does that tell you?

I know you are already there and personally I don't know why you would move form SD to OC. Do yourself a favor if you can. Since you are so close, visit OC for a week or two and drive around. Frequent the areas that you have mentioned, talk to people and observe, sit on the freeway in rush hour traffic and check out the job market. Then go surfing, go back home, think about it and make your decision. This Skyward person lives in Hermosa Beach (LA County) last time I checked. Not sure why he thinks he is an OC expert. Many of the people here are telling you the truth and then there are those who sugar coat everything...

There are great things about OC and then not so great. Personally I like SD and North SD County better. What about Carlsbad, Laguna, La Jolla, Cardiff, ect? I had friends who surfed those areas and loved it!!

Good luck, the good thing about this is you are close and can check it out for yourself... I do agree with Skyward on this...Take a trip to OC before taking the plunge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danity View Post
Job is in Costa Mesa so was thinking Huntington Beach area but my girlfriend said it's meth infected...true? Where would you say is a decent coastal area? What is the biggest difference between OC & SD? I took a 85% pay decrease so at this point a decent salary is way important.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:41 PM

Uhh according to Skyward we are all negative, lyers and we are negative, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
I'd stay in SD, but that's just me....I love SD!

I'm sure you can find what you're looking for though. Where is the new job located? For $1750 you can definitely find something decent. Traffic seems to be worse in OC than SD so try to live near your job.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
If you are in San Diego area you are only a an hour and a half or less from Orange County. Come up here a few times and check out the communities and see which one fits YOU and YOUR lifestyle. For Costa Mesa you can look at everything from Seal Beach down to Dana Point (maybe even San Clemente) and be within 45 minutes. Hungtinton Beach and Newport are obviously going to be the closest and that is a major factor to consider. I'm not a Huntington Beach expert, but the meth things really would vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. Make good choices on where you live and really get a feel for neighborhoods high on your list. Nothing beats a personal visit as you will instantly know which places feel wrong and possibly right. Also, do you have a single family home for $1750 in San Diego or a condo/apartment/townhome???

Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Agreed!!! Very good advise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
If you are in San Diego area you are only a an hour and a half or less from Orange County. Come up here a few times and check out the communities and see which one fits YOU and YOUR lifestyle. For Costa Mesa you can look at everything from Seal Beach down to Dana Point (maybe even San Clemente) and be within 45 minutes. Hungtinton Beach and Newport are obviously going to be the closest and that is a major factor to consider. I'm not a Huntington Beach expert, but the meth things really would vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. Make good choices on where you live and really get a feel for neighborhoods high on your list. Nothing beats a personal visit as you will instantly know which places feel wrong and possibly right. Also, do you have a single family home for $1750 in San Diego or a condo/apartment/townhome???

Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times
missionhome always offers fair, honest, and unbiased advice! She is also an excellent resource for info on OC, especially south OC. Be sure to check the picture thread which she has contributed immensely to.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:19 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Costa Mesa is right in the middle of coastal OC and lends itself to lots of different living options. Your $1750 budget would give you alot of options in rentals. What other lifestyle amenitites/ opportunities are you looking for? Do you prefer a younger "happening" place, or prefer the quiet of a more family oriented area? You have so many options given what you've laid out its hard to know where to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County