Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,179,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
LOL, yeah there's no traffic there. No snobby people, no crime, no crowding. LMAO.
I would try to explain the difference to you, but you're an Orangemite and you just wouldn't "get it"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:55 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,134,114 times
Have you ever heard of Southern Hospitality?? I guess not Skyward because your head is so far in the clouds that you can't see beyond your own denial!! Dallas.. is awesome and the people amazing. No place is perfect but honestly you cannot compare the two places what-so-ever!!! They are worlds apart. You need to do some traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
LOL, yeah there's no traffic there. No snobby people, no crime, no crowding. LMAO.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 AM

9 posts, read 24,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. How are you dealing with the issue of being out of the area when you apply to the jobs in other states? Do you have a local phone number or address for each? Good luck in your search.

I'm moving to Mexico, keeping my US citizenship and mooching off there economy and welfare!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,453,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOverCali View Post
I'm moving to Mexico, keeping my US citizenship and mooching off there economy and welfare!
Sounds lovely

(image not protected by copyright)

Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 AM

1,857 posts, read 3,081,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
I would try to explain the difference to you, but you're an Orangemite and you just wouldn't "get it"
Right. I've lived in Hermosa Beach for the last 6 years...but I'm an orangemite.

I lived in Austin for a year. And went to Dallas and met many people from Dallas. You wouldn't be aware of how Dallas turns its nose up at the rest of Texas. You wouldn't be aware of all the freeway traffic there. And, you clearly missed the various websites documenting crime in various cities.

It's obvious some of you moved here from other places and have had a hard time meeting people and making friends. But, the reality is, when you move somewhere new and have completed school and are working as a professional, it can be hard to meet people ANYWHERE. This is unfortunate, but it's a fact of modern day life in American cities. There's no reason to bash one area and see all others as greener sides of the pasture because of this.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 AM

40 posts, read 175,304 times
Its definitely important not to idealize one area generally. All areas will have their pros and cons. You just have to figure out 1) what your experience with that area has been and 2) which pros and cons are more important to you. For some, rain is better than heat or vice versa. For others, being near a more liberal or conservative community is more important. We don't all value the same things AND we don't all experience the same things. You can have two people in the same town but their experiences are not necessarily the same.

I don't see why it has to be a debate/competition.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,290,735 times
I'm not in OC, but what's interesting is, those I know here in the Bay Area have similar feelers out. As for me:
Scenario 1: (Very) Rural landed gentry - A series of towns I've IDed (but dare not reveal) in NE NM, the OK panhandle and TX panhandle - would do ranching and a bit of ag (water supply willing) in addition to consulting. Would retire in situ.
Scenario 2: Up and coming SE mid sized cities - pick a city at the Fall Line, that is no further from ski slopes than I am now, and, no more than 2-1/2 hours from the beach. Can be anywhere between DC and Atlanta. OK, this one's easy enough that I'll give up the crown jewels - Augusta, Columbia, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond. Again, would retire in situ.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 PM

1,857 posts, read 3,081,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingirisheyes View Post
Its definitely important not to idealize one area generally. All areas will have their pros and cons. You just have to figure out 1) what your experience with that area has been and 2) which pros and cons are more important to you. For some, rain is better than heat or vice versa. For others, being near a more liberal or conservative community is more important. We don't all value the same things AND we don't all experience the same things. You can have two people in the same town but their experiences are not necessarily the same.

I don't see why it has to be a debate/competition.
I agree wholeheartedly. This is exactly why there is no point or basis in one posting a thread claiming to be the "truth" about one area when really all it is is their opinions based on their experiences in particular areas. Others may have different experiences and/or be referring to different parts of the stated area.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:23 PM

199 posts, read 710,646 times
Well I left the OC two years ago for a small town in the Allegheny Mountains, PA and I love it. No traffic, no keeping up with the Jones'. One of the "big" events here is the Spring Cleanup by the garbage company where you can put out anything to be picked up. If pick up in your area is Thursday, you put everything out by Monday or Tuesday and then you get to go "junking", looking for whatever you can use and/or want. You would be amazed at how much fun this is and how much "good" stuff your neighbor puts out that you can use. I have gotten a nice pond set, fencing, playset, some good landscape rocks, etc for my house. Then you have the annual "community" wide garage sales where every little town has its sale. Then there is the Sportsman's Clubs' BBQs, church festivals, Thunder in the Valley, the county Fairs, the volunteer firemen's festivals for each little borough and not forgetting the church festivals. The changing of seasons is wonderful for this gal.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,179,158 times
Skyway,

I'm not going to split hairs with you anymore
Glad I won't see people like you in Texas! Enjoy CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County