Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 59,206 times

Advertisements

Am I totally out of luck? Wife and I have a little 20's craftsman cottage we love in South Park, San Diego (currently renting it). We're not big beach people, so inland would probably be a better value for us. As the title says, my place of work will be near the I405-I5 merge.

Only guaranteed to stay in town for 3-4yrs, so we're probably looking to rent. Hoping for $1.5-2k/mo 2br condo or the like. Want to be able to walk to groceries, restaurants. Love diversity, funkiness, not freaked out by petty crime, not worried about schools as we don't yet have kids. I'd be thrilled if I could live 5-10 miles from work; commute must be under 25 minutes, and ideally it'd be bikeable. Moving in late June. Thanks for your help! This looks like a great forum!

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 PM

12 posts, read 66,074 times
I think Irvine would be a good fit for you. It's a lovely community and has lots of resturants and stores withing walking distance. It also has many bike and walking trails. It's also very close to El Toro. Irvine is very safe and you'll pay allow for the residence you rent but it will be high quality. Look at some of the apartments here: www.rental-living.com

Old 04-12-2007, 11:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Look into Santa Margarita, Rancho Santa Margarita, Mission Viejo, Laguna Beach, Laguna Niguel, San Juan Capistrano, Costa Mesa, Aliso Viejo, San Clemente.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:49 PM

8 posts, read 59,206 times
Thanks guys! Any thoughts on Tustin, or perhaps the Artist Village area in downtown Santa Ana? From what I've read on the forum, I'd love living in the Long Beach area, but it's too far a commute.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,225 times
You might want to look into old town Orange near the Orange Circle, as its definitely a walkable neighborhood with a somewhat college town feel (Chapman University located there). Also there's a Metrolink station you may be able to train into work.

Artist Village near Santa Ana is definitely great too, and getting better each day. It's a really small section of downtown Santa Ana but growing.

I would probably stay away from south county but thats just me. Nobody walks and if its diversity and funkiness you are looking for you are definitely not gonna find it there (except in Laguna Beach)

Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
traffic is going to be a big problem getting to the Y from the neighborhoods you desire.

parts of santa ana, costa mesa, and orange fit what you want, but its a hike. down the 5 you have san juan capistrano, but thats a bit farther

Old 04-30-2008, 05:14 PM

365 posts, read 1,418,941 times
Lake Forest is right there at the Y and has many rentals. Just another to think about along with others previously mentioned. If you like to bike recreationally as well as for a commute, I second looking at Costa Mesa since the bike path there takes you right to the beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County