Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Another case of someone in the Babble Belt tarring the whole ****ing state with a wide brush!
Ya think? Work with me here. Since the entire state population cannot fit in the Capitol to represent themselves when laws are being manufactured they elect people throughout the state to represent their views. Are ya with me so far? If so, good.

Now then, some day, just for chuckles, look up the Legislature's Daily Files (there's one published for the Assembly and one for the Senate). Now pick out some committee hearings addressing bills on sensitive and/or social issues. There will be plenty of each. Throw in a few from Public Safety Committees regarding crimes and some from Human Service Committees regarding services. Now remember, we've already established that the Assembly Members (they like "Members" capitalized and the terms "Assemblyman" and "Assemblywoman" is considered sexist and politically incorrect) and Senators speak for the people.

When you have your list with the days of the week and the times the committees will be in hearing, come to Sacramento and sit in the gallery for some of them. Listen carefully and if possible, if the bills pass from the committees, try to be there for the floor votes in the Assembly and Senate chambers. They have galleries as well. It will be an eye-opening and thought-provoking experience, I assure you.

If you really want to get an earful, look up the bills being heard, read the committee analyses and pick out some being opposed by the ACLU, teachers and nurses unions, the Chamber of Commerce and the prison guards union. Those are always the most fun. Then come back and tell me the brush that is common to most of the peoples chosen representatives who are speaking for them is overly broad.

Do keep in mind, the "whole ****ing state" is represented by those 120 elected representatives so no one and no part of the "whole ****ing state" is left out of the process!

Is "Babble Belt" a play on Bible Belt the same as "Sin Belt" would be for Sun Belt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Translation, edited for brevity: Some of the politicians in the State Cap are PC, therefore all 38+ millions of us must be.

Proudly a sinner in the Sin Belt.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Translation, edited for brevity: Some of the politicians in the State Cap are PC, therefore all 38+ millions of us must be.

Proudly a sinner in the Sin Belt.
Brief response: By George, I think he's got it!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:54 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I'm all about succinct. It's mah middle name. (see what I did there with the mah?)

Old 05-22-2015, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 752 times
Exclamation No Easy Answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Then let's weed out the "bums" and make room for the "temporarily homeless". If it's not temporary then it's a lifestyle I don't want to support by any means.
So true! But unfortunately, many of the longterm homeless are also dealing with mental illness and other medical issues. And let's face it, the longer they stay in that situation, the easier it is to stay... I think many put up a good fight in the beginning but without the resources to help them climb out, it can get depressing and becomes harder to climb out.

I just don't believe there's an easy answer to it. It's very sad and unfortunate that there are so many homeless out there. Something needs to be done to be sure, but each situation is different and needs are different. I do agree though, that there are those out there that choose the lifestyle and I certainly am not happy about helping to support that!

Old 05-22-2015, 06:30 PM

277 posts, read 365,116 times
Santa Monica did this and they were absolutely over run with homeless. After several years of nothing but complaints from the residents, they went back to prohibiting this.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:32 PM

277 posts, read 365,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Well, In this economy i think a lot of people CAN afford to live in Laguna. Deep discounts on rents and houses!
You need to take a look at the listings in Laguna. There are no discounts there.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:47 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times
Man I remember way back in 1993 alot of homeless people being in Laguna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County