U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,503,161 times

Advertisements

I'd say there's good and bad (having worked and visited family/friends on the east side for 7 years), but mostly Anaheim is crummy with some bright spots.

There is some "downtown" revitalization, and it's slowly growing. But overall, I'd only really live there if I 1. Already lived there, 2. Or work there.

My wife's grandfather lives off of State College and the area has gotten a little better, though it's still rough. There's a drug presence and a dilapidated foreclosed house was a site where drug deals and other things went on until someone bought it and flipped it.

However my wife's father lives on the other side of State College (still east side) and it seems like a well kept area. There are some problem spots but not as bad as her grandfather's place.

There's been some shootings and killings in the past couple of years (one a couple of weeks ago), not far from some of the "revitalized" areas.

The newer homes are nice; a friend of mine lives in a 3br attached home in a gated community, but that's what makes it nice. The gated community part.

So I'd definitely take a look at other areas to live in first.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 PM

185 posts, read 455,779 times
When I was in high school (near the intersection of La Palma and Euclid) there was a couple of times when we had a lock-down due to police activity in the neighborhood, but overall nothing major. I used the gas stations and fast food places around there, and I never had a problem. Maybe not fancy, but perfectly livable if necessary.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,868,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingtheOC View Post
I would not personally live in Anaheim. Kind of scummy. I landed in the Tustin area a year ago. I absolutely love the location. I have discovered pockets within Tustin to avoid like in all areas. Newport Ave, south of the I-5 beyond Mitchell ave begins to get pretty scummy from Walnut on including Walnut Obviously the closer you venture towards Santa Ana gets bad, just avoid Santa Ana completely as it is the OC pit equivalent to Watts.
Tustin is pretty cool generally; even Newport south of Mitchell is not scum, just older, but do need to be more watchful. Williams St. and McFadden/Pasadena are problematic for sure; high-density. Best vibes though (not Tustin Ranch area, though it is safe) are the areas north of between First and Fairhaven, 55 and Browning.

As far as Santa Ana, NO WAY is this the OC equivalent to Watts in L.A. There is NOTHING here even close. Watts has PROJECTS, a number of them. And they're on the edge of even that area; more of Watts is actually non-government housing. I don't know where in OC there are government housing projects on the scale of that part of LA.

I wouldn't avoid Santa Ana completely but do your due diligence. Also North Tustin and those very expensive surrounding areas are in a Santa Ana zip code (mostly) and have Santa Ana addresses, so don't be put off by anything connected with that name.

As for Anaheim, the person living in the Colony (and I'm pretty close to it myself) hit it as far as the safety factor, etc. Anaheim's 45+ square miles are far too varied to be waved off as "scummy". This is usually said by people who only see the area right around Disneyland, the main drags off Euclid and Brookhurst and other west side arterials; many never arrive in the neighborhoods to see them.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 PM

56 posts, read 120,078 times
I would avoid the areas you mentioned in Anaheim (Magnolia and Ball area). I work nearby, and I would not want to live there. The 92807 zip code of Anaheim is nice. Brea is really small compared to Anaheim, but most of it is nice. I can't think of any bad pockets. Don't know about Tustin.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 PM

341 posts, read 612,456 times
Brea is more like a Diamond Bar, Walnut, or Yorba Linda. Anaheim is more like Placentia and Fullerton. Unlike North Orange County (North County), Tustin is located in South County and resembles Irvine or Lake Forest in appearance and vibe. I like Anaheim, even though some locals refer to it as Anaslime.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,868,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowry075 View Post
I would avoid the areas you mentioned in Anaheim (Magnolia and Ball area). I work nearby, and I would not want to live there. The 92807 zip code of Anaheim is nice. Brea is really small compared to Anaheim, but most of it is nice. I can't think of any bad pockets. Don't know about Tustin.
For Anaheim, "better vibe" areas as follows, by zip since it seems the most convenient way to do it:

92801 -- far east --Euclid, Lincoln, West and La Palma forming the borders. Might be other neighborhoods farther west that are fine too but the geniuses that do highway planning bought land near the 5 to widen the lanes and degraded the neighborhood left in this area through dragging their feet on the project.

92802 --Disneyland's zip code--The farther south the better....Katella and 9th St. neighborhood adjoining Garden Grove (around Stoddard Park) is especially good in the area. Friend of mine is near Euclid between Ball and Katella....very pleasant neighborhood.

92804--Notwithstanding a previous poster's words against the area around Magnolia and Ball, the 92804 is probably the largest area in the city when it comes to underrated neighborhoods. True, La Colonia is here but also some unincorporated areas that are not part of that. Too bad the appearance of the main drags here often quell any interest in the neighborhoods between (this zip is everything in Anaheim west of Euclid, South of Lincoln).

92805 --my zip--anything in the Anaheim Colony and the neighborhoods east of East, south of Lincoln. Between Harbor and West is good, too.

92806--Most of the area (this is east of State College but west of Tustin Ave).

92807--95% of it.

92808--All of it.

I think I have done this before but I figure I will keep answering blanket statements as long as they keep coming.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:58 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,473,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
For Anaheim, "better vibe" areas as follows, by zip since it seems the most convenient way to do it:

92801 -- far east --Euclid, Lincoln, West and La Palma forming the borders. Might be other neighborhoods farther west that are fine too but the geniuses that do highway planning bought land near the 5 to widen the lanes and degraded the neighborhood left in this area through dragging their feet on the project.

92802 --Disneyland's zip code--The farther south the better....Katella and 9th St. neighborhood adjoining Garden Grove (around Stoddard Park) is especially good in the area. Friend of mine is near Euclid between Ball and Katella....very pleasant neighborhood.

92804--Notwithstanding a previous poster's words against the area around Magnolia and Ball, the 92804 is probably the largest area in the city when it comes to underrated neighborhoods. True, La Colonia is here but also some unincorporated areas that are not part of that. Too bad the appearance of the main drags here often quell any interest in the neighborhoods between (this zip is everything in Anaheim west of Euclid, South of Lincoln).

92805 --my zip--anything in the Anaheim Colony and the neighborhoods east of East, south of Lincoln. Between Harbor and West is good, too.

92806--Most of the area (this is east of State College but west of Tustin Ave).

92807--95% of it.

92808--All of it.

I think I have done this before but I figure I will keep answering blanket statements as long as they keep coming.
I agree. I live in 92801 and there seems to be no problem. I do walking in the park around 8 - 9 pm at Sage Park and you only encounter the youth playing basketball and soccer. others are having fun at the parking area but they never bothered me. I also park along north street and have not encountered break ins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County