Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,676 times

Advertisements

I live in HB. YES, I KNOW there are people out in bars and clubs, there are people out on Main St by the pier. But I mean just driving down Beach Blvd or Edinger or Warner at 10 pm... Why is it so dead? Why is there no one at the grocery store at 10pm or 11pm??

I used to live in Costa Mesa around South Coast plaza and there were always cars driving around late at night. When I went to Vons to do some late night shopping there would be a lot of people shopping out at 10 pm, 11pm, 12 pm...

It's just more lively and exciting because people are out and about late around the South Coast Metro area, even grocery shopping, going to Jack In The Box at night. It gives the area a more "alive" exciting feeling, like more urban feel.

In Huntington Beach its dead on the street late at night, the drive thrus are empty, hardly any people at the grocery store. I think everyone is in bed or something...

I just really miss that "exciting city feel" that I used to have while living in the South Coast Metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
It's a beach town, active in the day, dead at night.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 PM

I guess that's how Beach towns are. I never really thought of that. I actually grew up here while in high school but as a teen I actually never went out at night (I was a nerd back then) so I don't remember it being so quiet etc. Now as an adult I see how quiet it is compared to other more livelier cities. I am thinking about moving L.A actually for the more urban vibe. I feel like it's too quiet here. It makes me feel like grandma.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:27 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
55th street extending southward on much of Sea Shore drive in Newport Beach was anything but quiet when I lived in that area. Many nights were like MTV spring break marathons between the keggers,surfer crazies,and more than a few incognito celebrities gone wild with drug problems. When I moved off the Peninsula to PCH, and Jamboree, I could hear nothing but crickets. I really liked the quiet,but it did feel like I was ready for a cane in comparison. LA sounds like your seen..

Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
The areas you're talking about are also family areas. Edinger and Warner right right through the heart of the suburban areas of HB. The area around South Coast Plaza is not a family area, it's a young adult area.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
The areas you're talking about are also family areas. Edinger and Warner right right through the heart of the suburban areas of HB. The area around South Coast Plaza is not a family area, it's a young adult area.
Bingo!

Plus the SCM area has people leaving the OCPAC when shows get out later in the evening and a pretty high density of restaurants and bars that will drive some late night traffic as well.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:53 PM

You're both right, those streets are family neighborhoods. I just feel depressed living here, it makes me feel old and living in the middle of nowhere. I'm 31 but I feel really "young" and it makes me feel even older than I really am to live here. I feel like I am trapped in suburbia.

Last edited by jackie100; 07-10-2009 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
You're both right, those streets are family neighborhoods. I just feel depressed living here, it makes me feel old and living in the middle of nowhere. I'm 31 but I feel really "young" and it makes me feel even older than I really am to live here. I feel like I am trapped in suburbia.
Grocery shopping late at night sounds so exciting! You sound like my kinda grandma!

lol

I accepted a position in Long Beach so I was looking at places around HB due to the area around the office being not-so-peachy. HB is a decent area to live in and also it's within a short commuting distance. However, now that I hear it is full of grandmas and lacking evening excitement, I am not so sure....

Old 07-12-2009, 12:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
if you find yourself in an urban environment and there are no other people around, run.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:22 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if you find yourself in an urban environment and there are no other people around, run.

lol....or you are walking down the street and you see one chalk outline after another...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County