Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I was wondering more about the early 60s but it must have been pretty minimal based on the 70s price.
Disneyland was always expensive for the average middle class family. It was a big deal for us to go when I was a kid. It was for all the kids I grew up with. (Unless a family member worked there.) Sometime in the late 60's they started having deals, through local employers, that made it more affordable.

We went to Knott's a LOT because it was free. 10 cents to feed the seals. 10 cents for the merry-go-round. And my parents would give us 10 cents to put in the puppeteer's box. (If you remember the puppeteer at Knott's you're officially old.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-22-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Disneyland was always expensive for the average middle class family. It was a big deal for us to go when I was a kid. It was for all the kids I grew up with. (Unless a family member worked there.) Sometime in the late 60's they started having deals, through local employers, that made it more affordable.
We only went if it was a major birthday, like turning 5. I recall going there on a school field trip and of course later on for the dreaded high school grad night where you had to stay all night and couldn't leave.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
I was wondering more about the early 60s but it must have been pretty minimal based on the 70s price.
I don't know. I worked there in the early 70s as a teenager, so that's the only reason I remember. I don't think Disneyland was ever free, though, even when it opened in the 1950s. It was a lot less expensive, obviously, before they moved to the admission price that included ride tickets. I often heard from my coworkers who lived in O.C. that it was an affordable date...they could watch great shows for practically nothing, and skip the rides. No longer...

Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM

329 posts, read 774,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Entry to Disneyland had a cost. The coupon books included that but you could just pay the entry fee and pay for the rides you wanted at the ride itself.

As a kid I would go there and wander the parking lot asking for any tickets people leaving did not use. Always got a bunch, even though the "E" tickets not used were rare. Had a ball on the cheap.
My Father worked at Disneyland when it opened, we all got in free.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy101 View Post
My dad was offered a job in purchasing. He turned it down because Walt Disney couldn't guarantee him more than four months work.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy101 View Post
My father knew the GM when it opened and he got us all free tickets. It is always nice to know someone "important". OF course then I was hooked.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,117 times
Quote:
I think initially it was a $1.00

Old 04-01-2014, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times
Would you be thinking of Belisle's? Great place. Huge portions. 5 out of 4 people eat hear was on the sign.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

We went to Knott's a LOT because it was free. 10 cents to feed the seals. 10 cents for the merry-go-round. And my parents would give us 10 cents to put in the puppeteer's box. (If you remember the puppeteer at Knott's you're officially old.)
At nearly 100/person without discounts, you bet Disneyland is expensive. Their park hopper deal does not seem worth it either. I want to take my nieces and nephews but I could fly to London on that price when you consider meals, drinks, etc.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,258 times
Default Mon Ami in the 60"s Orange CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
As for coffee houses in the OC, I remember the Mon Ami in Orange. Originally at Chapman and Schaeffer, it moved in the early 1960's to Tustin Avenue.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You are so correct with the locations of the Mon Ami.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Dick Stout, who owned the Mon Ami hired mybest friend and I from a Mater Dei High School talent show, we were called Bill& Tom (Guitar and Banjo). We played folk music (The Kingston Trio Cover) everyFriday and Saturday night. I still drive by the Chapman Ave house and thinkback how great that period of time was. Bill and I played a few times at thenew Mon Ami on Tustin Ave. Fast forward a few years, a short story about the WeFive! I met Mike Stewart in a Pomona music store and gave him a ride home tohis parent’s house. We had a great afternoon talking about his brother successjoining The Kingston Trio and just jamming. He had started a folk group in thatarea with another guy and girl.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Theycalled themselves The Ridge Runners.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Mygroup at the time joined them in Pomona for group sing.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]I was so impressed with The Ridge Runners, Itold Mike I would introduce him to Dick Stout, the owner of Mon Ami.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]They played many a weekend for Dick at theMon Ami before heading north to San Francisco and became the We Five. The restis history.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I have a lot of stories about the Mon Ami and the great talent that entertained.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County