Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Kinda fun to see that this thread is still alive six years later. So many memories of growing up in OC from 1952 until joining the military in 1966. Returned in 1970 and stayed until 1974 then was off again, thanks to Uncle Sam and that was it. Visited once in 1996 - was living in northern California then - and that was the last time I'll likely ever set foot in it. I will always miss what it was. The curse of becoming ancient!

The photographs of Anaheim back in the day were especially-nostalgia producing (although I hailed from Newport Beach) since some of them showed that pervasive growth, long since eradicated, called "orange groves." The memory and wonderful scent linger on.

As for the price of Disneyland, I've sort of lived with and chronicled the increases through my children. It's taken me from opening day when we had free passes to another visit my parents took me on probably in about 1959. Next up, taking dates there in 1964, 1966 and 1967. Started taking my own children there when each reached about six and/or whenever we were stationed in CA which would have been visits right around 1978, 1980, 1982, 1990 and 1994. My last visit was on Christmas Day in 1996 when my second wife and I were on our honeymoon. We couldn't believe the cost them and I'm sure it's far higher now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscher View Post
I moved to Anaheim in 1956, was there for Disney's grand opening. Graduated Trident Jr. High and Magnolia High Schools. Often went camping at Doheney Beach (when you could walk to Dana Pointe at low tide), and, among others, surfed Doheney and Dana Point before there was a road to the point. Hobie was a kid and used to work out of his garage in Dana Point (I believe). As things grew we used to "freak" that the surfing was going to get ruined. Now there is a huge marina there, beautiful, but no surfing.

It was a great time to grow up in Southern California, cars on the Blvd. in the valley, carhops on roller skates, evenings dancing in Disney, sun, surf, (now skin cancer), playing guitar in coffee houses.

Used to play in coffee houses in the area when Peter Paul & Mary were there and Jose Feliciano was just making it big. Played a little with Mary McCaslin and always knew she would go somewhere with her music. If anyone remembers the name of some of the coffee houses from the 60's I would appreciate it.
Good memories
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The Prison, Balboa Pier; Rouge et noir, Seal Beach; TheGolden Bear, Huntington Beach, Mon Ami, Orange and Later Tustin, The Mecca,Buena Park[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 05-03-2014, 07:25 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The photographs of Anaheim back in the day were especially-nostalgia producing (although I hailed from Newport Beach)...
Did you ever, as a kid, take the ferry from Balboa Island to "The Fun Zone"? Great memories.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Did you ever, as a kid, take the ferry from Balboa Island to "The Fun Zone"? Great memories.
Many times but more often than not I sailed my boat to the Zone. Great memories indeed!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:31 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wow! The Fun Zone.. simpler times.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I will always miss what it was.
Me too. I had a relative who owned a house on the peninsula so Balboa was "our" beach. (Still is, come to think of it.) I think those of us who grew up in O.C. were the chosen few.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-06-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 05:03 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Wow! The Fun Zone.. simpler times.
Yes, remember those soft ice cream cones for a dime on Balboa Island? They were so good.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Too bad these days are long gone and its been replaced with illegal immigrants trashing neighborhoods and uneducated minorities voting in corrupt senators running this once great state.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:15 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Too bad these days are long gone and its been replaced with illegal immigrants trashing neighborhoods and uneducated minorities voting in corrupt senators running this once great state.
Right on schedule, as usual.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:04 AM

99 posts, read 246,013 times
Default Born and raised in La Habra

Born and raised in La Habra.
Spent 50's and 60's in La Habra.
Spent 70's and 80's in Fullerton and Anahiem.

I Remember..Driving South on Harbor blvd and seeing Disneyland on my right and agricultural fields across the street on my left.

I Remember..Driving South on Harbor blvd through Costa Mesa and seeing nothing but agricultural fields.

I Remember..Going to the Corn Festival at El-centro Park, close to Cypress and La Habra Blvd in La Habra, with all of the carnival rides and games, and still some of the best corn on the cob I have ever had.

I Remember..Going to La Habra High School for my Freshman year, then having to go to Sonora High School for my Sophmore year. Sonora just opened and all they had were Freshmans and Sophmores. We lived closer to Sonora.

I Remember..Getting off from work near Kramer and Orangethorpe in Anahiem, driving my 68 VW Bug South to T-Street in San Clemente, body surfing for a couple of hours, then driving back to Fullerton to my apartment. This was when there wasn't a lot of traffic on I-5.

I Remember..When driving North on Harbor blvd, it took a large 90 degree turn to the West and it became Whittier blvd. At the turn, there was a miniature golf course with 15 cent (it might have been 35 cent) hamburgers. The penny arcade had 10 cent pin ball games.

I Remember..Buying T-Bone steaks at the Alpha Beta on Brookhurst and Orangethrope in Fullerton for $1.25.

I Remember..Coming home from Viet Nam and seeing people in the airport look at me with disgust and dispare. Some people looked away and some called me names.

I Remember..Going to my cousins house and riding our dirt bikes on the construction sites that would eventually become the Pomona Freeway.

I Remember..Going to the Cellar restaurant in downtown Laguna Beach on Tuesday nights (it might have been Thursday) for 75 cent Spaghetti night. The Cellar was a upscale restaurant with high priced dinners. On Tuesdays, you could find long haired hippie types, surfer dudes, sitting next to grown ups in suits and ties.

I Remember..Driving my Honda motorcycle down to San Juan Capistrano on I-5, and taking Ortega Hwy over to Lake Elsinore. At the top of the mountain was the Look Out taveran. On weekends, the parking lot was full of custom bikes of all kinds. People went there to check out the bikes, watch the hang gliders take off from the parking lot and sail down to Lake Elsinore, and of course, for the Mountain Burgers and cold beers.

I Remember..Seeing Stan Musial play at Dodger Stadium, along with Sandy Kofax, Don Drysdale, Juan Marichal, Johnny Roseboro, Frank Howard, Willie McCovey, Willie Mays and the Alou brothers.

I remember.. Seeing the Rams play at Anaheim Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County