U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,399 times
We moved to Anaheim in 1956. I went to Maxwell Elementary, Dale JHS, and Magnolia HS (grad 1967) and played in a successful rock group called The Saints all around OC, LA County (the strip) and up north to San Francisco. We also frequently played the Avalon Ballroom. There were gigs all over the place - along with what some of the people have said below, I remember the Rendezvous, the Golden Bear, and the Buena Park Rec Center. There also was an amphitheater in a park in Anaheim where I saw Dick Dale. We were friends with many of the other bands gigging in our area, including one named Stack - both our bands were all doing covers of Cream, the Stones, Buffalo Springfield, etc.,etc. Most of the musicians in the area came from Loara HS, which still is going on - Gwen Stefani and Garbage are from Loara. BTW, I remember that the Righteous Brothers' Medley graduated from Santa Ana High School, while Hatfield was a student at Anaheim High, where he was student body president. Does anyone remember the alligator farm next to Knott's Berry Farm, long gone now? Beach Blvd was called Hiway 39 back then. I used to body surf at Lifeguard Station 17 in Huntington Beach, the Wedge, and Crescent Bay in Laguna Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM

1,784 posts, read 5,037,192 times
To all of the previous posters in this thread, you have provided some great and well written comments about the southern cal music scene in the 1960s. I grew up in San Francisco in that era and was in high school in the late 60s. That's a whole other topic on it's own. Of course SF had a thriving and legendary local music scene but I one time I saw a group called We Five (from LA or OC?) play at a small club in SF . They were sort of a one hit wonder with a top 40 song called You were on my Mind. Anybody remember them from OC or were they from LA?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 PM

11,882 posts, read 12,815,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
its almost amazing, the homegrown talent that OC has produced musically. add Social Distortion, No Doubt, Sublime, and The Offspring to the above mentioned artists to cover the more recent acts.
Considering that Orange County was the birthplace of the electric solidbody guitar it's not THAT surprising. If not for what Leo Fender was doing in his small workshop in Fullerton just after WW2, rock & roll would have been very different.

Fender and Rickenbacker are still making instruments in OC even though Fender outsources production of their cheapest models to Korea and Mexico (the Mexican made Fenders, however, have many parts made in the Fullerton factory.) Rickenbacker refuses to outsource any production, God bless 'em. Mosrite closed down years ago, though.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
Anaheim in the 60's was magical. When I peel an orange today, I flash back to walking to school and smelling oranges from all the many orange groves. What a beautiful smell. Watching the fireworks from Disneyland every night at 9 p.m. Knowing when to go to Disneyland when they weren't busy (New Years day). Collecting E tickets. Riding my bike with my brother to Huntington Beach on hot summer days. Cruising Whittier Blvd. with my boyfriend. Eating the best Mexican food in So.Cal. at the Bean Hut. The best hamburger was on St. College and LaPalma at Heinz Burgers. Anaheim Union High School Graduation was at La Palma Park, where the Angels practiced before the stadium was complete. I'm telling you, for me, it was one of the happiest places on earth, really.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM

6,158 posts, read 11,430,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimGal View Post
Anaheim in the 60's was magical. When I peel an orange today, I flash back to walking to school and smelling oranges from all the many orange groves. What a beautiful smell. Watching the fireworks from Disneyland every night at 9 p.m. Knowing when to go to Disneyland when they weren't busy (New Years day). Collecting E tickets. Riding my bike with my brother to Huntington Beach on hot summer days. Cruising Whittier Blvd. with my boyfriend. Eating the best Mexican food in So.Cal. at the Bean Hut. The best hamburger was on St. College and LaPalma at Heinz Burgers. Anaheim Union High School Graduation was at La Palma Park, where the Angels practiced before the stadium was complete. I'm telling you, for me, it was one of the happiest places on earth, really.
my grandmother used to tell me similar stories of Anaheim in the 50s/60s. It sounded like an amazing to time to grow up (if you were white that is). no wars, very little drugs, new uncongested freeways. the only thing bad that i remember her telling me was how bad the smudge pots made the air.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM

14,141 posts, read 15,491,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscher View Post
Often went camping at Doheney Beach (when you could walk to Dana Pointe at low tide), and, among others, surfed Doheney and Dana Point before there was a road to the point. Hobie was a kid and used to work out of his garage in Dana Point (I believe). As things grew we used to "freak" that the surfing was going to get ruined. Now there is a huge marina there, beautiful, but no surfing.
Locals trivia: does anyone remember the name of the "settlement" you had to drive through to get to Salt Creek beach in the mid-late 60's?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,857,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My only comment is how lucky you folks were to live in California duirng the 1950's-60's
Exactly, same here!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 AM

21,256 posts, read 11,786,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My only comment is how lucky you folks were to live in California duirng the 1950's-60's...........
I'm VERY thankful I grew up in So Cal. My parents made the decision to buy a house in Anaheim in 1954. They paid $10,000. That was $2,000. more than the same house in Lakewood, but my Dad was insightful enough to realise that Orange County was THE place to raise a family.

We would roll our eyes but he would tell us as little kids how lucky we were to live where "everything was happening". All the O.C. musicians and athletes, Indy drivers, whatever.... He used to call them "local boys". We felt like we lived in the center of the universe.

He was pretty cutting-edge. I can remember the day he came home from work and started tearing apart my roller skates and finding just the right piece of scrap wood. I had one of the first skate boards because of him. (And I was also one of the first girls who rode one. Which I can still do today which makes a few, young jaws drop) So thanks, Pops!

As far as the music scene goes, my dad (who always pointed out the Fender building whenever we drove by - like we didn't know) used to go out on the Balboa pier for lunch, take off his tie, and talk to a young, blind guy playing his guitar. Jose Something-Or-Other.....

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-12-2010 at 10:55 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 PM

254 posts, read 287,295 times
As for coffee houses in the OC, I remember the Mon Ami in Orange. Originally at Chapman and Schaeffer, it moved in the early 1960's to Tustin Avenue.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:31 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,341,492 times
Did beatniks read bad poetry at the Mon Ami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County