U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 13,033,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
In some ways Ventura county reminds me of Orange county 50 yrs ago. All the citrus groves are basically gone in Orange county but there are miles of them & avocado groves in Ventura county. Ventura county is a fraction the population of Orange county w/ lots of open space. Ojai valley is quite beautiful & unique. But Orange county is more exciting w/ nice beach cities.

As others have said, it's like comparing oranges with no oranges left
I'd personally take Ventura over any OC beach city. But maybe that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 PM

7,879 posts, read 9,568,337 times
Ventura County has a much more substantial hinterland than Orange. There is nothing like the Topatopas or the sort of country that Hwy 33 passes through in Orange. The Santa Ana mountains are quite limited compared with the multiple massive ranges of Northern Ventura. Ocean wise, Orange gets the nod. Nicer beach areas (especially Laguna, Newport, Huntington, etc). In terms of urban and suburban type stuff again, Orange gets the nod.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,022,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Ventura County has a much more substantial hinterland than Orange. There is nothing like the Topatopas or the sort of country that Hwy 33 passes through in Orange. The Santa Ana mountains are quite limited compared with the multiple massive ranges of Northern Ventura. Ocean wise, Orange gets the nod. Nicer beach areas (especially Laguna, Newport, Huntington, etc). In terms of urban and suburban type stuff again, Orange gets the nod.
Entirely agree I love driving the back country in Ventura & Santa Barbara counties. Lake Piru\ Santa Paula & the Highway 33 above Ojai is spectacular. The drive from Santa Barbara on 192 to Carpinteria & then hwy 150 into Ventura county around Lake Casitas & into Ojai is beautiful. I once drove into a thunderstorm on 33 near Pine Mt summit that was incredible.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,911,603 times
Grew up in VC, lived in OC as an adult. Totally different vibes. OC very conservative but diverse & segregated. VC more whitebread but more open-minded. OC has more new subdivisions, VC more character. OC has oranges and better beaches. VC has strawberrries and nicer people. Believe it or not, it's easier to access LA from VC, and IMHO I'd rather be closer to Santa Barbara than San Diego any day of the week. More camping and nature nearby too.
I vote for VC!

Old 04-25-2009, 03:31 AM

241 posts, read 563,378 times
pretty hard to compare like said few times before. If you want to enjoy or be next to the valley than vc obviously the choice and possibly downtown la and westside at least for time to get to. Think they are very similar. Many other things they both would be alike possibly like family oriented or ages of residents etc.. Believe vc has less people many places than oc or might be bit slower paced.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
i've lived in Orange County my whole life and now i'm at UCSB which is neighboring with Ventura county. it does not compare, at all. in terms of Quality and atmosphere, OC is the way to go! for instance, Orange County is way more developed whereas Ventura county is neightboring with Oxnard and we can all see that Oxnard is an agricultured based city! in Orange county, you wont find any agriculture based city, its beautyful enough to have had a show named after it, The OC. all in all, its great!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by College.sandygirl View Post
i've lived in Orange County my whole life and now i'm at UCSB which is neighboring with Ventura county. it does not compare, at all. in terms of Quality and atmosphere, OC is the way to go! for instance, Orange County is way more developed whereas Ventura county is neightboring with Oxnard and we can all see that Oxnard is an agricultured based city! in Orange county, you wont find any agriculture based city, its beautyful enough to have had a show named after it, The OC. all in all, its great!
An interesting view, but describes the difference well. In Ventura County, agricultural land is prized. So much so that the voters insisted on keeping ag land with SOAR, soarusa.org. In conjunction with protecting ag land, sprawl is not welcome in VC. OC, on the other hand, is the antithesis of this. No more strawberry fields forever as the strip malls and condos have long ago gobbled them up. Pick your world.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:26 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by College.sandygirl View Post

Oxnard residents will be shocked when they find out they are neighbors with Ventura County rather than residents of Ventura County.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:02 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oxnard residents will be shocked when they find out they are neighbors with Ventura County rather than residents of Ventura County.
Aw, come on, Charles, be nice. It was apparently her first post.

But I was also thinking that, and, that Oxnard (and VC) residents would be shocked to find out that they live near agriculture. A theme I hear over and over is the desperate need to make sure Ventura County protects its farmland and -- precisely does NOT become like Orange County!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM

95 posts, read 292,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4nyc View Post
Orange county is like new jersey, and Los Angeles is like New York..

Ventura is like hmm... Vermont.
Angoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, Heck Malibu Park, plus six flags in valencia trumps crap disneyland...

The valley has a great upbeat attitude and is one of the best places to be, although I currently reside in the o.c...

Plus your can hit santa monica and countless other places in los angeles, while still being close to the wine country!!

Orange county is terrible in the north, south is a bunch KB track homes (lacking in archetectural ecclecticism like the valley), but still rather nice.

although san diego... cornado area is actually a real plus. Awesome place with great clubs and night life... hmm... still i would go with the less crowded ventura area especially because its still growing in places like valencia..
Its slow paced now in ventura county, which is great but it can still change...
california keeps growing. whats sparce today...

Orange County is fast paced, but doesn't seem like it will hold up with the population increases, look at santa ana... its going to get worse before it gets better...and the problems are bound to spread-especially in the economic downturn

eh.. they're both great counties, but i would pick ventura... slower paced, overall very beautiful, great location... plus the traffic is a little less going to l.a to ventura and vice versa... instead of the 5 and what have you--i guess it depends on funding, employment, and family
My guess is you haven't really spent much time in the places you discuss. I want to make some corrections.

LA is like New York, OC is like Long Island - more affluent, more suburban & w/newer architecture. Ventura is like Westchester, more affluent but a bit more tasteful than OC.

OC is wonderful in the north/east section. Older, more established neighborhoods than in south, more ranch homes & less pretense, more mature trees, more families (Villa Park, North Tustin, Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, Orange Park Acres). South OC is more nouveau and pretentious, more gardened, less rural (Mission Viejo, Irvine, Newport). OC's north/central is not so great (Santa Ana, Anaheim, Buena Park). OC's north/west is very average (Los Alamitos, Garden Grove).

Valencia isn't even in Ventura Country. It's a part of the Santa Clarita Valley.

Ventura is more family-oriented and suburban than OC. Ventura has a more rural feel and is not as diverse as OC. There is less 'to do' in Ventura. OC, on the other hand, has a big airport, touristy beaches, big university, more high end shops, more visitors and lots of Asians. This is really where the line in the sand is drawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County