Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 04:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

when they put in those speed cameras like they got in phoenix, its guna stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:01 PM

39 posts, read 106,959 times
Oh, and BTW, don't even get me started on parking lots in Irvine. I would love to know why each one is like a corn field maze and who's idea it was to plan them as such! I consider myself lucky to find my way out of some (onto a one-way street, no less!!) and amazed that there aren't more fender-benders happening.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
What I find is that a lot of people (not all) are self-absorbed. They are very caught up in their day and what is going on for them (i.e. the place or appointment that they are trying to get or the appoijtment or whatever). To them the only matter of importance is their current concern. They are focussed on their issues and not really away of what is going on around them. Thus, they tend to speed, or generally drive like idiots because they are focussed on themselves and not consciously aware of what they are doing. They are driving on autopilot.

Thus, someone who might be a perfectly nice considerate person in other situations, gets caught up in the busieness of their day and thinking only about their concerns and their resulting rudeness or endangerment to others does not even occur to them.

This results in not only speeding, but cutting people off, running lights, etc. It is driving without really thinking.

The cause is the constant rush rush rush that is sp prevelant coupled with the insular nature of our gated and similar "communities" television, self hlep books etc, all of which encourage people to think that they are all that is important. They focus on themselves and never really learn to balance consideration for those around them.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriwithaK View Post
Oh, and BTW, don't even get me started on parking lots in Irvine. I would love to know why each one is like a corn field maze and who's idea it was to plan them as such! I consider myself lucky to find my way out of some (onto a one-way street, no less!!) and amazed that there aren't more fender-benders happening.
I'd like to beat whoever thought dark green lines on black asphalt in every parking lot in Irvine was a good idea. People in Irvine have a hard enough time parking straight when the lines are white. Forget it when you can't see them, especially at night.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 AM

39 posts, read 106,959 times
Another 'new trend', not exclusive to Irvine, but extremely popular here, (I had no idea I have so much angst about this topic!) is people waiting at a light with about 5 car lengths ahead of them. What the heck is that??

Also in parking lots when people leave about 2 feet in front of their car in the spot; therefore their back end is hanging out into the through lane. I feel stupid to admit that in the right light (reflecting off of tail/reverse lights) I've patiently waited behind said vehicles waiting for them to pull out of a spot. :/ durr.....

P.S. I totally agree with you, EscapeCalifornia, dark green on black is NOT a good idea!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:50 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Shoot me if you like but I live in Irvine. The one thing that I noticed....and it's probably all of you who are complaining about the speed....is that people drive SLOW!!! Meaning. they drive SLOWER than the speed limit.

If it says 55 mph, then move to the right, or go 55 mph with all of us crazy people. I constantly have to sit behind someone going 40mph in a 55 zone. Ugh! I may not be in a rush, but when you are holding up a whole line of people, move over please.

So those complaining, please stay to your right and at least attempt to go the speed limit.

To the OP, you said you're from a small town near Whittier, CA. I lived near Whittier, it's all very urban. I cant' imagine Irvine would be a "shock". Now if you're from Whittier, AK, that's another story.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 10,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Shoot me if you like but I live in Irvine. The one thing that I noticed....and it's probably all of you who are complaining about the speed....is that people drive SLOW!!! Meaning. they drive SLOWER than the speed limit.

If it says 55 mph, then move to the right, or go 55 mph with all of us crazy people. I constantly have to sit behind someone going 40mph in a 55 zone. Ugh! I may not be in a rush, but when you are holding up a whole line of people, move over please.

So those complaining, please stay to your right and at least attempt to go the speed limit.

To the OP, you said you're from a small town near Whittier, CA. I lived near Whittier, it's all very urban. I cant' imagine Irvine would be a "shock". Now if you're from Whittier, AK, that's another story.

My thoughts exactly. Although I notice the worst offenders are often asians/women/old or some combination of the three. This doesn't mean that ALL people from these groups drive slowly or poorly but as a general rule they do. It's a standing game I play with my girlfriend when we're driving and encounter an annoying driver and 9/10 times they are 1 or more of this combination. I too wish they'd stay to the right but if they knew to do that or cared they probably wouldn't be such poor drivers to begin with.

If you think about it Irvine has one of the larger concentration of Asian drivers in south OC and the nearby Lake Forest has plenty from the older generation. I think that's what makes driving in the area such a test in patience. I just try to drive as little as possible in Irvine when I can avoid it. If it's any consolation in traffic court this week I saw an asian woman who had a ticket for doing 40 on the freeway so these people do occasionally receive the business end of the law.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:11 PM

45 posts, read 218,805 times
I never said Whittier isn't urban. I said the drivers seem more courteous there.

Then again, I lived in Pico Rivera. It's interesting how the threat of being shot at after cutting off the wrong car can make people more courteous.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urksher View Post
I never said Whittier isn't urban. I said the drivers seem more courteous there.

Then again, I lived in Pico Rivera. It's interesting how the threat of being shot at after cutting off the wrong car can make people more courteous.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. IMHO, any urban area has it's @ss drivers.
But then, like you said, maybe all we need is a shooting in Irvine, to slow people down again.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:04 PM

86 posts, read 243,992 times
I live in Tustin, right next to Irvine, so I must drive through it almost daily. in Irvine they fall into two groups: unusually fast or unusually slow. there's almost no in-between, and no real courtesy in either case.

yesterday as I was getting on the 261 Toll Road south at Irvine Blvd. I had a guy in a pretty big SUV who was previously a good 6 or 8 carlengths behind, decide he was going to race me to get on the road, but I had no idea what he was doing which made it even more dangerous.

I was already going a pretty good speed on the on-ramp and it's a pretty difficult merge into the 2-lane road (you have to match the speed of traffic almost exactly, or else bad consequences) and I normally drive through the automated toll at 45-50 miles an hour and accelerate to about 70 mph to merge. I'd never seen anyone drive right through the Cash Only lane and not stop, but he did so, and then decided it would be wise to not only do that but try to cut me off right before I merged. so this was almost completely bizarre to me. luckily I recognized he wasn't stopping to pay cash and stepped on the gas a bit, forcing him to merge behind me as he should've to begin with.

what a psycho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County