Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM

78 posts, read 253,620 times

Advertisements

Looking for some info on Mission Viejo. Is it a good place to raise a family, are there farmers markets, how is the lake (swimmable and clean). BAsically anything you can give me. I want the truth even if it's ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
There's nothing ugly about MV unless you have to commute to some far off place like LA.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
My brother & family live in Mission Viejo and it seems to be a good place to raise a family. On one of my visits we went to the lake and it was very nice. Also there is a nice park in the area that my brother lives.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Do a search on missionhome posts; she is the queen of Orange County city data and particularly mission viejo. Check her excellent photos on the OC photo thread. She spent a lot of time taking photos and they are really good.

PICTURES of ORANGE COUNTY

You should have performed a search too:

Mission Viejo?

Mission Viejo or Rancho Santa Margarita

Maybe Moving to Mission Viejo Area
What's the scoop on Mission Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita
Irvine vs. Aliso Viejo or Mission Viejo
Work in Mission Viejo but where to live?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:10 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,277 times
In my opinion Mission Viejo is a good place to raise a family. I would say that YOU as a parent are the most important thing though anywhere in this country. I motivate my kids, encourage them, and enforce good values and am happy with the group of friends all three of my teenagers (ages 15, 16, 18) have picked. I did not have my kids in elementary or middle school in MV due to our desire to have them in a Christian enviornment those years, however in my opinion the public schools were much better than our private school and most other private schools in this area with regards to the actual education. My kids moved to Capo Valley High for high school and I am very satisfied with the education my children are getting and oldest now got. I am a PTSA parent at CVHS and know the elementary schools and middle schools that feed our school well and have gotten very involved. My oldest just graduated from CVHS and starts at UCLA in two months with a major in Microbiology (proud mom moment haha)!So IMO:Schools: Good, but budget cuts are a reality and will have some effects on education. This isn't really CT or MA or something. Strong AP and IB program at all three of our city's high schools with top graduates going off to good schools. Many students take community colleges route after high school. City is split in two districts and there are "rumors" that we might try to form one new school district just for MV (which I think is a waste of time and will never happen). Raising a kid: Mission Viejo itself is pretty humble in my opinion. Most people are living in normal 1,200-3,500 square foot homes and many have lived here since the city was developed from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Most people aren't that flashy, more like soccer moms, etc.... that just want to raise their kids. IMO some of the materialism in "South OC" radiates from surrounding communities which have more of an element of being "new." The people that want their new 2004 home, BMW, designer jeans, etc...The Lake: It is WONDERFUL, especially if you have younger kids. The summer is the best time when the temperatures here are usually in the 80's and sometimes 90's and the lake comes to full life. People swimming (it is clean, a full staff testing water several times per day), kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, party boating, fishing, summer movie nights at North Beach, summer concerts on the beach, etc.... are awesome. The picture of my sons catching their first fish here at Lake MV is priceless. The water is calm for younger kids too compared to the ocean. Beaches in San Clemente and Dana Point are 20-35 minutes depending on what beach you go to and how far from a freeway you are in MV. I prefer San Clemente beaches, unless doing a bonfire at Doheny. The weather is hotter in MV than a beach city, but you are still easily close.Farmer's Markets: I think you mean like a local one with tents and such and not Trader Joes, Henry's, etc... which are more like grocery stores (MV has those). MV's farmers market closed like two years ago, but you can be at the ones in Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Rancho Santa Margarita, and the Coto gate in 5-20 minutes depending on your home in relation to one of these neighboring cities (the area all pretty much flows together).

MV also has great city parks that are well maintained, very lush green slopes throughout that are mature, walking trails, many pocket parks, good youth sports leagues, nice city events for families, an amazing library that is much better than anything in the OC Public Library system, etc...

Some negatives: Some people hate our city council and how much it spends on all the "wasteful things" with tax dollars, etc.... school budgets are being cut (all of South OC from Irvine south though), expensive to most places in the country, you won't want to commute past probably Anaheim (Irvine is best), no public transportation really, traffic on El Toro Y at rush hour, people from more inland cities drive through MV to freeway.**

Wow, I write a lot, hahaha.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,358 times
The pluses:

1. Its cheaper than other places in O.C. and a place where you can actually afford to live.

2. Its close to so many other destinations in O.C. and close to L.A. and San Diego if you ever want to frolic in the activities of these major cities

3. I'd say it should be a very good place to raise a family, and has many family neighbourhoods, is quiet, peaceful, crime free

I had a friend move to MV from Laguna (Beach). She missed Laguna every single day of her four years in MV. What really surprised me about M V was how 'hostile' and anti-social the neighbours were to her (I found the same to be quite common in Huntington). She's an extremely friendly and extrovert person, and not at all offending anyone or rubbing people the wrong way so this was an eye opener. In Laguna locals make friends with strangers quite easily, and can invite anyone to join for BBQ or parties just passing our door or balcony. I knew every close neighbour in Laguna, while in a years stay in Huntington I knew none of them. Her neighbours in M V never wanted anything to do with her. It was quite lonely for her and her family. Just an odd group of people in MV, really, but maybe that was only one area and an exception. MV residents would probably know better.

Last edited by antibes; 07-28-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post

I had a friend move to MV from Laguna (Beach). She missed Laguna every single day of her four years in MV. What really surprised me about M V was how 'hostile' and anti-social the neighbours were to her (I found the same to be quite common in Huntington). She's an extremely friendly and extrovert person, and not at all offending anyone or rubbing people the wrong way so this was an eye opener. In Laguna locals make friends with strangers quite easily, and can invite anyone to join for BBQ or parties just passing our door or balcony. I knew every close neighbour in Laguna, while in a years stay in Huntington I knew none of them. Her neighbours in M V never wanted anything to do with her. It was quite lonely for her and her family. Just an odd group of people in MV, really, but maybe that was only one area and an exception. MV residents would probably know better.

Maybe she didn't fit. Nothing wrong with her but is it possible she was an older woman or man in a neighborhood full of young families? Or maybe a super hip, partying type single in a family neighborhood? Again, nothing wrong with that but there is sort of a natural commonality amongst people of similar ages, demographics, positions in life, and interests. We got burned by this in Colorado. A lot of our Colorado neighbors were retired people. We didn't realize we'd feel so out of place. We just picked the wrong neighborhood. Live and learn.

It could make a difference.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:03 PM

142 posts, read 471,144 times
While apartment shopping this past week I went to various parts of OC and got a feel for the areas. MV is very nice, seemed like lots of families, well planned out community, pretty lake. It's not like you'd get there and go.. "What a dump!" Chances are you'll enjoy it, the weather was great, although it's not my first choice of places, I'm also not raising a bunch of kids so that affects my decision. If you have any questions, feel free to message me and I'll answer while the knowledge of the area is fresh in my mind lol

Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
Just an odd group of people in MV, really, but maybe that was only one area and an exception.
To be fair, that was just one portion of one neighborhood. I can think of two neighborhoods (Rosales Circle in the Deane Homes and Montecito Ln in the Sevilles) where the neighbors are friendly and very welcoming to new residents.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
My brother lives in Mission Viejo and I know his neighbors are quite friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County