U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 01:51 PM

465 posts, read 2,250,191 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend who is originally from Los Angeles and now lives in Ventura County Simi Valley. He says all the time very passionately that the OC is full of the most Republican, snotty, rich, white people you'll find anywhere. I looked some info up on the net to see if there was any truth to that, and found that the largest percentage of George W's votes in southern Cali came from Orange County. I also looked at the demographics, and was hard pressed to find a decent percentage of non-white residents. I love California, and am determined to make it my home one day soon. Orange County is nice asthetically, and seems nice for living, but I have to be able to stomach the people as well.... What's the truth of the matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 03:17 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,999,657 times
You can't find a decent percentage of non-whites? Have you looked north of the 55 freeway?

Old 04-21-2007, 03:46 PM

989 posts, read 5,425,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I have a good friend who is originally from Los Angeles and now lives in Ventura County Simi Valley. He says all the time very passionately that the OC is full of the most Republican, snotty, rich, white people you'll find anywhere. I looked some info up on the net to see if there was any truth to that, and found that the largest percentage of George W's votes in southern Cali came from Orange County. I also looked at the demographics, and was hard pressed to find a decent percentage of non-white residents. I love California, and am determined to make it my home one day soon. Orange County is nice asthetically, and seems nice for living, but I have to be able to stomach the people as well.... What's the truth of the matter?
(All truth being told, IMO most of OC is like a larger Simi Valley but on the beach.) There's no middle class here in SoCal. Set some realistic expectations-who exactely are you more worried about? MS 13 gangs or rich people?

Old 04-21-2007, 04:39 PM

253 posts, read 269,126 times
Yes, south OC is predominantly white and republican, and it's also the nicest bunch of people I've ever met in my life.

I'm originally from New Jersey and have also lived in Kona, Hawaii, Las Vegas, Nevada, and Phoenix & Scottsdale, Arizona. Orange County by far is the most friendly place I've ever been. It's the only place I've ever lived where strangers smile and say "hi" throughout the day as I'm going about my business. They sure don't do that in LA so I think your friend has it backwards.

I'm getting tired of being stereotyped as "snotty and pretentious" just because I'm white, republican, and live in a nice area. Give me a break already. Is this the new political correctness? I'm automatically a bad person by default before I even open my mouth??

Old 04-22-2007, 06:43 PM

75 posts, read 68,040 times
I don't get the comments about Orange Countries diversity, one reason I love it is that it is so diverse. Most areas in the US that pretend to be diverse are just White + Mexican or White + Black. Wikipedia states that OC has:

64.81% White,
13.59% Asian,
1.67% African American,
0.70% Native American,
0.31% Pacific Islander,
14.80% from other races

Given these percentages I'm not sure how anybody can say its not racially diverse (Ventura County has 69.93% white).

Anyhow, regarding the politics of the area (warning, I'm not liberal). South OC is indeed largely conservative, but they are fiscal conservatives/neoliberalist but they aren't very socially conservative.

I really like the area, but then again my political views match it to some degree. Also regarding the votes for Bush. As I'm sure you know most people don't think much about their votes. Most people in the area voted for Bush because in general they support people that are fiscal conservatives without thinking about it much (ironically bush isn't a good fiscal conservative), in general I don't think people in the area voted for him because they support the war etc.

Honestly though, its not like Simi Valley is much different. Simi lacks any real divesity. Simi Valley is just a city filled with people that work in Los angeles county but don't want to live there. There is no real industry in the city as a result less people have money. Orange County has a great economy and as a result the people have more money, if having money and a good economy makes an area bad, well then the deep south should be one of the best places in the union!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:34 PM

160 posts, read 896,121 times
Here is the deal with OC (no one that lives here calls it THE OC!). It is truly a beautiful place, well kept up and very upscale. There are very few bad areas in all of OC. Most of it is middle, upper middle and upper class. True, being middle class is rough here....even on a lower six figure salary. It is very expensive here and most cannot afford to own a home here. People are generally pleasant and friendly on the plus side. One the negative side, it is very hard to make real friends here. I am from the east coast and have been in OC for 10 years. It is very common for friends to just disapear out of your life for no reason at all. I have seen it time and time again and heard it happen to others so I know it is not me. Very strange. People are all about themselves here...to the greatest degree. What car do you drive, how big is your house...etc. Very phony and materialistic. For a long time when the real estate market was hot, people were selling their homes and "moving up" (ie: buying a larger home they probably could not afford).
There is diversity here, but this is suburbia not a large city. OC is very white, but there are all races here. I live in Ladera Ranch, a very upscale planned community in south county. My neighbors are white, black, asian, persian, hispanic. Plenty of mixed race marriages as well.
My post is getting kind of long, so I am going to stop here. Any other questions feel free to PM me. I would be more than happy to help you out!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:43 PM

75 posts, read 68,040 times
Quote:
What car do you drive, how big is your house...etc.
Honestly, when Californians start to talk to you about this stuff its because they don't give a crap about talking to you. People from the east have a hard time interpreting it, but in CA people will talk to you just to be nice despite the fact they don't care about you one bit. Whereas in the east people wont bother. I suppose in a sense it is phony, but not because they just talk about cars etc, but because they aren't more upfront about not wanting to talk to you.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:53 AM

160 posts, read 896,121 times
Not sure I know what you are getting at. But, even my friends who are native to this area feel the same way, so I know it is not just me. I have heard of people here that live off their equity. Why do you think they do that? To keep up with the Jones's...to have the newest toys....etc. I do agree, though, that the east coast can be a bit rough and people may blow you off. HOWEVER....your friends there are friends forever....haven't experienced or seen to much of that out here (although I am sure it exists...just harder to find).

Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 AM

253 posts, read 269,126 times
I've experienced the opposite, I'm from NJ and my childhood friends certainly have not been "friends forever" and entirely stopped making the effort to keep in touch once I moved away. The only real friends I have, I met out west.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 49,587 times
The real deal on the OC?. One word: B-O-R-I-N-G !

Lemme give you some additional adjectives to round out that image; shallow, materialistic, phony, superficial and rascist. There is also definitely a white supremecist thing going on here against blacks, Mexicans and anyone else who doesn't fit the local profile of what it takes to be a "real" American; namely a blond, blue-eyed person with an IQ of 73 MAX.

Sure, people will say hi! to you most everywhere you go because that's what retards do. They'll say hi! to ANYONE. But they avoid engaging in meaningful conversations (politics, religion and any other meaningful topic are totally taboo here) because these *******s are completely ruled by 'political correctness' and shallowness of thought. I've been here 7 years and have made NO friends at all ..nor has my wife, yet back east we're extremely social people and make friends with ease. Read what Shadow42 says he's right on the money.

There IS diversity BUT THE RACES DO NOT MIX OR MINGLE. Ask any black person (if you can find one) what they think about living in OC. Asians keep to their own, blacks are very few and far between and Mexicans also tend to live amongst themselves. As do the Vietnamese and Filipinos. Most other races have no significant presence here. Their is NONE of the excitement of cultural blending you get back East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or